SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  Mason's Rifle Room    Lever gun experts!!! I need some advice!
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Lever gun experts!!! I need some advice! Login/Join 
Throwin sparks
makin knives
Picture of sybo
posted
Once again I am here to tap into the vast pool of knowledge that I am so thankful to be a part of. I’m in the market for another lever gun. I will mainly be using it for a Hog Gun. No long shots over 100 yards for the most part. 30-30 or .35 Rem. Marlin, Winchester, Henry, all considered. I own a Henry “All-Weather” 45-70 and I LOVE it except it’s a bit heavy. I just don’t always need THAT much gun.

I prefer the JM Marlins vs the newer ones as I have bought one of the “Remlins” and it went back for QC problems. This will be a fun project, I just need some advice from some lever-lovers!
Rowlan? Smile

Thanks in advance!!

Posts: 6203 | Location: Nashville Tn | Registered: October 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
With bad intent
posted Hide Post
336 in 35 Rem would do the trick. Buddy of mine brought his along for Deer season this year and made for a pretty good brush gun. He also brought his Malrin guide in 45-70 which did equally well. Most of my Henrys have weighed more than their Marlin counterparts of the same type.

If you want something really cool. Buy a cheap Remlin 1894 and have Ranger Point Precison convert it to 10MM.

Posts: 7912 | Location: One step ahead of you | Registered: February 10, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Ditto 336 in .35
Be patient you can find one cheap if you keep your eyes open. Woods hunting deer hogs and black bears it is ideal.

Posts: 3718 | Registered: August 13, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Age Quod Agis
Picture of ArtieS
posted Hide Post
I picked up a cosmetically ugly, but functionally fine 1956 vintage 336C in .35 Remington for $350 at a gun show, and it is absolutely a favorite of mine. I like the Marlins because of the side loading gate and the side eject. Henry requires that you load the Tube Magazine which is more awkward, and Winchester ejects out the top of the receiver, making scope mounting more challenging.

While the 45-70 is definitely Thor's battle hammer, the .35 Remington, is Thor's EDC hammer. 200 grain Hornady LeverRevolution at 2200 fps is nothing to sneeze at. The only downside is ammo cost if you don't reload. Best I have found factory .35 is $24/box. If you reload, you can make plinking rounds out of 158 grain .357 SWC bullets which are a blast to shoot around with.

My eyes are pretty useless with iron sights, so I made the modifications below to make this gun useful to me. It balances perfectly at the receiver, is light to carry in one hand, and is quick handling. The 336C has an 18 inch barrel.

"I vowed to myself to fight against evil more completely and more wholeheartedly than I ever did before. . . . That’s the only way to pay back part of that vast debt, to live up to and try to fulfill that tremendous obligation."

Alfred Hornik, Sunday, December 2, 1945 to his family, on his continuing duty to others for surviving WW II.

Posts: 12745 | Location: Central Florida | Registered: November 02, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Member!
posted Hide Post
I'm partial to the .444 Marlin. Unfortunately, it's going to be in the same weight/size rifle as the 45/70 you already have. If it's a 100 yard only rifle, I'd go for a .44 mag lever and the proper hunting loads. At 100 yards, it'll hit as hard (if not harder) as the 30/30. Past 100, the 30/30 is much better because of better bullet BC and trajectory, but at 100ish yards and the proper loads, the .44 mag is just as good if not better in a handier pistol cartridge sized receiver vs rifle bullet sized receiver lever gun.

My 100 yard and under gun is a Winchester 16" trapper in .44 mag with hot hand loaded WFN 280-330gn hard cast gas-checked bullets.

Posts: 4340 | Location: Boise, ID USA | Registered: February 14, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
The 44 mag is a pretty good option, I would s our the used gun racks at shops shows and the local Craig’s list. I am partial to Winchester’s though nothing wrong with marlin. Used 30-30’s usually can be found in the sub $400 range. Very common ammo availability, good long track record

Posts: 3268 | Location: Finally free in AZ! | Registered: February 14, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I'm not laughing
WITH you
Picture of Rolan_Kraps
posted Hide Post
1895 Marlin in .45-70.

Rolan Kraps
SASS Regulator
Gainesville, Georgia.
NRA Range Safety Officer
NRA Certified Instructor - Pistol / Personal Protection Inside the Home

Posts: 23577 | Location: Gainesville, GA | Registered: October 11, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
The Marlin 336 in 35 Rem is a great choice, mid weight rifle, boom flop results with hard hitting 200 gr soft point rem Ammo, and many options for optics or optics with see thru rings. Ideal for the 100yard range.

Posts: 14 | Location: Northern Neck, Virginia | Registered: November 12, 2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
.35 Rem ammo was hard to find several years ago and was expensive. Has that changed? I’ve got a bit stocked up and haven’t searched in a while.

If you reload maybe it doesn’t matter but you might want to figure ammo cost into your expenses if you go .35 Rem.

ETA: ArtieS already discussed ammo. Sorry to repeat.

Posts: 3953 | Location: UNK | Registered: October 04, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
30/30 ammo everywhere 35 harder to fine. Either will work just fine on deer, hogs

Posts: 991 | Location: UP of Michigan | Registered: October 21, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I have not yet begun
to procrastinate
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by captain127:
The 44 mag is a pretty good option

At the ranges discussed, that's what I was thinking. (helps that there's one in my safe)

When Bill Ruger and friends were testing out the first 44mag auto on game, they said,
"The 44mag kills way more effectively than anyone thought it would or should."

--------
After the game, the King and the pawn go into the same box.

Posts: 3771 | Location: Central AZ | Registered: October 26, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Haunt pawn shops. You can often find 336s used for cheap. I would go 30-30 for ammo availability and price. Hornady LeverEvolution ammo is an outstanding performer in my thutty - thutty. And I always replace the factory sights with a good quality receiver sight.

End of Earth: 2 Miles
Upper Peninsula: 4 Miles

Posts: 16005 | Location: Marquette MI | Registered: July 08, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
The first Remington Marlins did suck, but quality on the newer guns seems to be back up with the JM guns. I had to send an early one back myself for blueing and headspace problems, but I've seen owned a 45-70 a 44 mag., and both were problem free.

Posts: 934 | Location: WV | Registered: May 30, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of sigcrazy7
posted Hide Post
35 Remington is a nice option, but I wish I could find a 308 Marlin Express. THAT is Thor’s EDC.

Demand not that events should happen as you wish; but wish them to happen as they do happen, and you will go on well. -Epictetus

Posts: 8202 | Location: Utah | Registered: December 18, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Throwin sparks
makin knives
Picture of sybo
posted Hide Post
Thanks for all the suggestions!! Happy Thanksgiving!!

Posts: 6203 | Location: Nashville Tn | Registered: October 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I've killed a few hogs with the 30-30 marlin. It smacks them. Also have an old .44 model 336 I'm going to try. I expect it will do well as my 44 pistol knocks them down.

Posts: 248 | Location: Tennessee | Registered: April 09, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
May I recommend a Marlin 336Y. God Bless Smile

"Always legally conceal carry. At the right place and time, one person can make a positive difference."

Posts: 3053 | Location: Sector 001 | Registered: October 30, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I'd take a look at a .44
The ballistics seem to work out to 100Yds.
However, this may open another "I just spent $900" door for you...
Do you have a .44 Pistol?
(If you don't, you'll probably get one sooner or later. Cool )

“What the government is good at is collecting taxes, taking away your freedoms and killing people. It’s not good at much else.” —Author Tom Clancy

Posts: 8321 | Location: Attempting to keep the noise down around Midway Airport | Registered: February 14, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post