SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  Mason's Rifle Room    Bergara B-14 HMR as a precision rifle in 6.5 Creedmore?
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Bergara B-14 HMR as a precision rifle in 6.5 Creedmore? Login/Join 
Frequent Denizen
of the Twilight Zone
Picture of SIGWolf
posted
My FFL one for around $900 along with a Tikka T3X in the same caliber. I like the look and feel of both, but like the Bergara somewhat better.

Then there is the Remington 700 Magpul which is similarly priced.

If you were to choose, what would you choose for an entry level precision rifle?

Posts: 17342 | Location: Northern Vermont | Registered: September 20, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Blackmore
posted Hide Post
I am looking to replace my M700 (also w/ Magpul) and Bergara is top of my list.

In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act

Posts: 3435 | Location: W. Central NH | Registered: October 05, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of TRshootem
posted Hide Post
The Bergara is the best value of the two mentioned. Tikka has my interest, but I hate the magazines and the price. Both are fine shooters, I just have too much tied up in Rem 700 projects to scare my bride with 'another gun'. The shooters I know who own Tikka are very happy, the Bergara guys aren't complaining, but spent the cash difference on glass or components. It comes down to which you like more and your budget to kit it all out.

Posts: 1320 | Location: Montana | Registered: October 20, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of TRshootem
posted Hide Post
I would add that Rem 700 bases etc mount on the Bergara, same receiver mounting config, as well as trigger type.

Posts: 1320 | Location: Montana | Registered: October 20, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Frequent Denizen
of the Twilight Zone
Picture of SIGWolf
posted Hide Post
The Bergara B-14 HMR and the Tikka T3x CTR are the same price at my FFL, $899 for the Tikka and $904 for the Bergara, so they really are a tossup on price.

Being the same price, you would go with the Tikka T3x CTR?

Posts: 17342 | Location: Northern Vermont | Registered: September 20, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Bob RI
posted Hide Post
That’s a nice gun, slightly heavier than the Tikka, nice stock. I have a stock T3X CTR and it has been a great shooter, love it. I could also see myself buying a Bergara in the future.

When I was shopping there was not much out there in terms of reviews or 6.5 Bergara rifles in the stores so I went with the Tikka. $80 mags are not the end of the world as I don’t need that many for my use. I also have no desire to put it in a chassis etc. It’s almost kind a of a sleeper.

Posts: 4518 | Registered: January 22, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of TRshootem
posted Hide Post
SIGWOLF, good catch, I agree they are similar in price. I was(not clearly) talking about the Tikka magazines. The first couple rifles I handled and shot, I thought the mag fit was pretty sloppy. The latest ones at the LGS seem improved. My only dislike on the Bergara is the color/texture of the stock. It would be a coating color of my choice to fix to suit me. Both are very nice rifles for under 1K and have been shooting well against some much more expensive builds.

Frequent Denizen
of the Twilight Zone
Picture of SIGWolf
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by TRshootem:
SIGWOLF, good catch, I agree they are similar in price. I was(not clearly) talking about the Tikka magazines. The first couple rifles I handled and shot, I thought the mag fit was pretty sloppy. The latest ones at the LGS seem improved. My only dislike on the Bergara is the color/texture of the stock. It would be a coating color of my choice to fix to suit me. Both are very nice rifles for under 1K and have been shooting well against some much more expensive builds.

I'm also not that enthusiastic about the color of the stock, but I like the stock itself, the one on the B-14.

Thanks for the clarification regarding the magazines.

Made from a
different mold
Picture of mutedblade
posted Hide Post
The only reason in my mind to get the Bergara over the Tikka is if you are never, ever going to change the stock, otherwise, grab the Tikka and don't look back. Both shoot phenomenally well. Probably better than most can themselves, but the factory ergos go to the Bergara, only because the stock can be adjusted (though kind of sloppy). Shooting up/down hill without an adjustable cheek rest with a scope mounted can be hell on the neck. That is really my only complaint about the T3X CTR that I bought. A KRG Bravo is likely going to fix that problem though.

Either way, buy whichever you like most, top it with good glass, and get a case or two of Hornady American Gunner and have some fun.

Posts: 2824 | Location: Lake Anna, VA | Registered: May 07, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by mutedblade:
The only reason in my mind to get the Bergara over the Tikka is if you are never, ever going to change the stock, otherwise, grab the Tikka and don't look back. Both shoot phenomenally well. Probably better than most can themselves, but the factory ergos go to the Bergara, only because the stock can be adjusted (though kind of sloppy). Shooting up/down hill without an adjustable cheek rest with a scope mounted can be hell on the neck. That is really my only complaint about the T3X CTR that I bought. A KRG Bravo is likely going to fix that problem though.

Either way, buy whichever you like most, top it with good glass, and get a case or two of Hornady American Gunner and have some fun.

The krg bravo looks one awesome and for the price....I havnt handled onenyet but

Posts: 5082 | Location: Alaska | Registered: June 12, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Frequent Denizen
of the Twilight Zone
Picture of SIGWolf
posted Hide Post
In terms of after market which would likely have more options? I’ve read that the Bergara has a Remy footprint, so would be able to tap into that after market.

The Tikka has been around and, I assume, has a good after market presence.

Made from a
different mold
Picture of mutedblade
posted Hide Post
If it works on a Remington 700, it’ll work on the Bergara. The aftermarket for Tikka is steadily growing, though nowhere close to the 700. Smaller shops offering limited numbers of curved bolt handles and sometimes an extended wait between runs is but one example. Still worth it to me though. Pleased as pie with my Tikka

Posts: 2824 | Location: Lake Anna, VA | Registered: May 07, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Frequent Denizen
of the Twilight Zone
Picture of SIGWolf
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by mutedblade:

Can't say "never, ever" but probably not as likely as some and probably not for a while.