SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  Mason's Rifle Room    No Love For Mossberg Lever Action Rifles?
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

No Love For Mossberg Lever Action Rifles? Login/Join 
Gracie Allen is my
personal savior!
posted
I'm trying to avoid hijacking JonDaddy82's thread, especially since he seems to be looking for a .38/.357 lever action rather than a .30-30.

But something kinda struck me. In discussions of lever action rifles here, the Mossberg .30-30s just never seem to come up. Do they suck or something?

For those who haven't seen them, this is more or less what I'm talking about:

http://www.mossberg.com/produc...-straight-grip-41010

Posts: 27291 | Location: Deep in the heart of the brush country, and closing on that #&*%!?! roadrunner. Really. | Registered: February 05, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Not really from Vienna
Picture of arfmel
posted Hide Post
I don't believe I have ever seen one. I'd look for a used Marlin 336 .30-30. They're inexpensive and abundant.

Posts: 26893 | Location: Jerkwater, Texas | Registered: January 30, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of maladat
posted Hide Post
I was curious, so I clicked on the link. And I thought it was a nice looking levergun. And then I was curious what made the 464 SPX different from the 464.

Oh my god. It's a levergun with an AR-15 collapsible stock, a picatinny rail foregrip, and a flash hider. Why?

Posts: 6319 | Location: CA | Registered: January 24, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
OP thanks for the link, Mossberg doesn't seem to offer a lot of model options. Pricing looks pretty good though.

Posts: 3232 | Location: Middle Earth, Rivendell | Registered: November 13, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I have a Mossberg made lever gun that was sold in department stored back in the 70's and it works well, that said i have no idea how the new guns work...

Posts: 663 | Registered: August 23, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
We gonna get some
oojima in this house!
Picture of smithnsig
posted Hide Post
I had one. Very slim and handy. The action took some use to loosen up. Kicked like a mule for an intermediate cartridge.

Killed some deer with it. It was a later model that had the loop safety. Had to squeeze the loop or it wouldn’t fire. I could have done without that.

The loading gate was a Thumb grabber if you didn’t do it right.

Overall it was usable as a truck gun and the like. Hornady LeveREvolution gave it some legs for hunting.

-----------------------------------------------------------
TCB all the time...

Posts: 6501 | Location: Cantonment/Perdido Key, Florida | Registered: September 28, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
"The deals you miss don’t hurt you”-B.D. Raney Sr.
posted Hide Post
I like the idea behind the SPX version. The adjustable stock would make sense for shooters with different lengths of pull. The rails on the forearm are just cheese graters, though. I think there was a version w/o those, or maybe the current version doesn’t have them.
There is also a 22lr version.
My LGS has one in 30-30 and 22lr.
The actions do feel a bit clunky on them.

Honestly, I wonder about a 464SPX “Mare’s leg” with a brace on it......
And a threaded barrel.

Posts: 6301 | Location: East Texas | Registered: February 20, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Wishbone
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by hudr:
I like the idea behind the SPX version. The adjustable stock would make sense for shooters with different lengths of pull. The rails on the forearm are just cheese graters, though. I think there was a version w/o those, or maybe the current version doesn’t have them.
There is also a 22lr version.
My LGS has one in 30-30 and 22lr.
The actions do feel a bit clunky on them.

Honestly, I wonder about a 464SPX “Mare’s leg” with a brace on it......
And a threaded barrel.

I have a Mossberg lever gun along with a Winchester and Marlin. The Mossberg is just as good as the others. Nice walnut stock and comes with a plain stock or pistol grip. No problems with mine and pretty accurate. A pretty good deal at $400.

Posts: 946 | Location: Oklahoma | Registered: November 23, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gracie Allen is my
personal savior!
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by maladat:
Why?

People have been asking that question for some time. I don't know that anyone's come up with an answer yet.

Posts: 27291 | Location: Deep in the heart of the brush country, and closing on that #&*%!?! roadrunner. Really. | Registered: February 05, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
The 464s that I have handled (never shot mind you) just felt "cheap". Real scientific I know, but I would have a hard time choosing a 464 over a 336.

"Owning a handgun doesn't make you armed any more than owning a guitar makes you a musician." -Jeff Cooper

Posts: 8765 | Location: UT | Registered: December 05, 1999Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I'm not laughing
WITH you
Picture of Rolan_Kraps
posted Hide Post
I've not run across them yet.
I don't believe that they are offered in Pistol caliber... yet.

Rolan Kraps
SASS Regulator
Gainesville, Georgia.
NRA Range Safety Officer
NRA Certified Instructor - Pistol / Personal Protection Inside the Home

Posts: 23577 | Location: Gainesville, GA | Registered: October 11, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gracie Allen is my
personal savior!
posted Hide Post
The only ones I've seen or heard of have been in .30-30.

Wait, what?
Picture of gearhounds
posted Hide Post
If I were in the market for a 30-30, I would hit the pawn shops and pick up a really nice pre-safety marlin 336. You will find it for less and quality will blow the Mossberg away.

“Remember to get vaccinated or a vaccinated person might get sick from a virus they got vaccinated against because you’re not vaccinated.” - author unknown

Posts: 15561 | Location: Martinsburg WV | Registered: April 02, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post