SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  Mason's Rifle Room    Scout rifles - Ruger, Savage etc. - what do you think?
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Scout rifles - Ruger, Savage etc. - what do you think? Login/Join 
Certified All Positions
Picture of arcwelder
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Amurr:
More monies but I have always loved the Steyr Scout the most!

So, for years on the board, people eschewed the scout rifle because of the expense of the Steyr. I've had one for years, a now rare variant, the Tactical Scout.

These rifles are for a special purpose, that is actually quite versatile.

Cooper was no dummy, and I'm glad that Ruger made it affordable.

Arc.
"You're a junkyard dog." - Lupe Flores. RIP

Posts: 27000 | Location: On fire, off the shoulder of Orion | Registered: June 09, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Serenity now!
Picture of 4x5
posted Hide Post
I went to Cabelas yesterday and got to handle both a Steyr Scout and a Ruger GSR. The steyr had a nice smooth action, but the whole package just felt cheap and plastic to me. The Ruger, with the laminate stock, felt much more solid (and heavy), but the action on the one I handled was pretty bad. Lot's of wobble in the bolt when it was retracted, and a very herky-jerky feel as I pushed the bolt forward. I don't know if that's normal, but it wasn't what I was expecting from a $1000 rifle.

Ladies and gentlemen, take my advice - pull down your pants and slide on the ice.
ʘ ͜ʖ ʘ

Posts: 4929 | Location: Highland, UT | Registered: September 14, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Certified All Positions
Picture of arcwelder
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 4x5:
I went to Cabelas yesterday and got to handle both a Steyr Scout and a Ruger GSR. The steyr had a nice smooth action, but the whole package just felt cheap and plastic to me. The Ruger, with the laminate stock, felt much more solid (and heavy), but the action on the one I handled was pretty bad. Lot's of wobble in the bolt when it was retracted, and a very herky-jerky feel as I pushed the bolt forward. I don't know if that's normal, but it wasn't what I was expecting from a $1000 rifle.

Did you pull the trigger on the Steyr? The bolt operation should have meant something, and by the way, these rifles are supposed to be light.

Arc.

Posts: 27000 | Location: On fire, off the shoulder of Orion | Registered: June 09, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Serenity now!
Picture of 4x5
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by arcwelder:
quote:
Originally posted by 4x5:

Did you pull the trigger on the Steyr? The bolt operation should have meant something, and by the way, these rifles are supposed to be light.

Cabelas has locks on all their guns.

Ladies and gentlemen, take my advice - pull down your pants and slide on the ice.
ʘ ͜ʖ ʘ

Posts: 4929 | Location: Highland, UT | Registered: September 14, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Certified All Positions
Picture of arcwelder
posted Hide Post
Well, that is trash. The trigger is a huge part of it.

Arc.

posted Hide Post
OK A few thoughts and opinions. My experience starts with an original Clifton Scout with the pull out forend bipod. I currently own 3 Steyr Scouts, a Springfield Armory Scout Squad and a Ruger Scout in 6.5 Creedmoor.

First off, forward mounted scopes are inferior optically and mostly suck in general compared to current low powered variables. Argue with me if you want but I've had a bunch of scouts and optics and ALL my current Scouts have optically superior low powered variables.

For the money the little fiberglass stocked Ruger is a darn good rifle! I was making consistant hits at 600 yds on 6" gongs using a 1-6x Vortex with a good reticle. I also worked with my Nephews laminated stock 308. Both were sub MOA with good hunting loads. The Fiberglassed stock Ruger Scout was substantially lighter and more consistant with the original Scout concept. I would choose this for an entry level Scout. I've not shot the Savage scouts.

I LOVE the Steyr Scout rifle. It's light, handy, stupid accurate for a light rifle, stores extra ammo in the stock as well as a cleaning kit. Maybe more gizmo's than any other rifle but the darn things SHOOT!! The price of them has come way down. If you can stretch a little bit in price, BUY ONE! Use it long enough you'll LOVE it. May seem gimmicky at first but long use tells. They are GREAT, CLASSIC Rifles.

Ok the Springfield Armory Scout Squad. Wanna buy mine? Nuff said. Not accurate enough. Not reliable enough for me to love it.

Just my opinions (but they are experience based). Feel free to disagree if you want.

I hope to buy a 6.5 CreedMoor Steyr Scout as soon as funds allow FWIW..........

Remember, this is all supposed to be for fun...................

Posts: 4123 | Registered: April 06, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Sorry to sidetrack the thread but does anyone know what size of Steyr scout rings (med or low probably) will fit a Burris 2-7 scout? I know the normal formula to make sure you get the right height rings but the steyr specific ones are different.

As others have said there are some drawbacks to a forward mounted scope but there are some pros too. Love my steyr scout, it's a 243 and one of the "butter knife" bolt handles. I also enjoy using the socom 16 as a loosely based "scout rifle" for hunting.

Posts: 220 | Registered: June 04, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Mjolnir23:
Sorry to sidetrack the thread but does anyone know what size of Steyr scout rings (med or low probably) will fit a Burris 2-7 scout? I know the normal formula to make sure you get the right height rings but the steyr specific ones are different.

As others have said there are some drawbacks to a forward mounted scope but there are some pros too. Love my steyr scout, it's a 243 and one of the "butter knife" bolt handles. I also enjoy using the socom 16 as a loosely based "scout rifle" for hunting.

Measure the OD of your Burris ocular. Measure ring height and add half the tube diameter of your scope and make sure they are more than the OD of your Scopes Occular.
Also FWIW you DON'T have to use Steyr Rings. There are far better Quick Release rings available. Think Picatinny rings with QR levers.........

posted Hide Post
Not looking for QR rings and I dont think your tracking on the steyr rings I'm talking about but I appreciate the help.

Edit: the low ones should work but I guess Steyr isn't making anything other than high ones. I read on a form somewhere that the normal scope ring formula didn't work because they sat so low on the rail.

The right three rings are the ones I was referring, to my knowledge they aren't QR

Posts: 220 | Registered: June 04, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
"Member"
Picture of cas
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by djpaintles:
...ALL my current Scouts have optically superior low powered variables.

My 2¢ on that is, if you aren't going to put a scout scope or a dot on it, but still want a Steyr, buy a Steyr Mountain Rifle or Pro Hunter and save $800-$900. You're paying a whole lot extra for extras you will not be using buying the Scout.

I don't recall what rings are on mine, but they're not the one's Steyr makes. (the dedicated Scout rifle website/forum has lots of information)

Posts: 21097 | Location: 18th & Fairfax  | Registered: May 17, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Mjolnir23:
Not looking for QR rings and I dont think your tracking on the steyr rings I'm talking about but I appreciate the help.

Edit: the low ones should work but I guess Steyr isn't making anything other than high ones. I read on a form somewhere that the normal scope ring formula didn't work because they sat so low on the rail.

The right three rings are the ones I was referring, to my knowledge they aren't QR

There aren't penalties for using QR rings other than they cost a little more but NOT having them almost negates having backup Iron sites on the rifle. YES you can store a wrench in the pistol grip storage compartment but that takes a while to open and sort out. With QR rings you "might" be able to remove a fogged scope or whatever to make a shot with the backup irons. I don't see that happening with non-QR rings. I had the Steyr rings on my Cooper Package Scout, frankly the only reason I think you should use them is that for whatever reason you insist on having the "Steyr name on them. The Steyr rings are inferior to a number of different ring choices that are available.

Again the formula I mentioned in my first post works with the rings you have pictured. It's a FLAT rail so the ring height plus half the scope tube diameter gives you the distance to the bottom of your scopes objective.

Also FWIW the available forward mounted scopes are VASTLY inferior Optically to currently available low-powered variables. The only advantage forward mounted scopes give you are the ability to load with stripper clips and maybe keeping the ocular away from your eyebrow. You can still shoot with both eyes open with a 1x variable and they have a WAY WIDER FOV, can be had with lighted reticles, are clearer optically and are better optically in every category. Just read the stats on both and you'll see what I mean. I'm just saying I've spent the money for forward mounted scopes and they suck. I'm trying to help people not waste their money on them. When forward mounted scopes originally came out we didn't have the 1-4, 1-6, 1-8 variables that we have today. In my personal opinion if they had back then the scopes we have today there would have been zero need for the forward mounted scopes since nobody loads their Scout rifles with Stripper clips! Before you invest just compare the stats on low powered variables to forward mounted scopes. Check FOV, compare the quality of coatings etc. It's not a close competition.........

I also have to respectfully disagree with the comment that if you aren't forward mounting the scope just go with the Pro-Hunter. The Scout has a number of other advantages including: Extra Magazine in the Buttstock, Backup Irons, Tripod, 3 point sling mount, cleaning kit compartment in the grip, and a shorter fluted barrel in a lighter contour. For ME, all those advantages justify the higher price which isn't as high as you mention...........dj

"Member"
Picture of cas
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by djpaintles:
The Scout has a number of other advantages including: Extra Magazine in the Buttstock, Backup Irons, Tripod, 3 point sling mount, cleaning kit compartment in the grip, and a shorter fluted barrel in a lighter contour.

When hunting I'll put two rounds in the extra mag. While I REALLY like that feature, it's not worth $800 more to me. I can and have added multi sling mounts to most rifles. None of the other things matter worth a damn to me.

Posts: 21097 | Location: 18th & Fairfax  | Registered: May 17, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post