SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  Mason's Rifle Room    How much ammo should one put away
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

How much ammo should one put away Login/Join 
Glorious SPAM!
Picture of mbinky
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by cslinger:
You can never have too much ammo.....until you have to move. Smile

Ugg this is the truth lol.

Posts: 10635 | Registered: June 13, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Experienced Slacker
posted Hide Post
All of it.
Anything less is simply reckless endangerment of your loved ones from an abject lack of prepping. Wink

What I used to do was rather like dollar cost averaging investing, that is I would just buy two or three boxes whenever at the lgs regardless of prices for that week. Fairly soon it was a challenge storing it.

Posts: 7486 | Registered: May 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Leatherneck
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by mbinky:
quote:
Originally posted by cslinger:
You can never have too much ammo.....until you have to move. Smile

Ugg this is the truth lol.

Yeah it adds up fast when you are carrying it up the stairs!

“Everybody wants a Sig in the sheets but a Glock on the streets.” -bionic218 04-02-2014

Posts: 15249 | Location: Florida | Registered: May 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
The only thing I stack very deep is 22. Everything else I tend to keep enough for a year, BUT I make sure in case a panic ensues that I have a vast amount of reloading components in every caliber.

Posts: 3268 | Location: Finally free in AZ! | Registered: February 14, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Like a party
in your pants
Picture of armored
posted Hide Post
I keep a substantial amount of loaded ammo for all the calibers in the vault. My real backup is reloading. I keep dies for everything I shoot along with all the components needed to reload many rounds if needed.

Posts: 4609 | Location: Chicago, IL, USA: | Registered: November 17, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
After reading LDD’s - Panic at the Gunstore - several times, which is still a stickie at the top of the Mason’s gun section (this section) - I did the following based on his recommendations:

1 - Identify what you (not what anyone else) needs/wants related to ammo so that when the next “scare” occurs you do not have the feeling that you do not have enough and as a knee jerk reaction you pay elevated prices for what you could have purchased before the panic.....
2 - Identify your budget - even if this is a range and a weekly/monthly goal...
3 - Stick to you plan.....I wrote mine down and marked off each item as I completed what I identified I needed/wanted....
4 - Replace what you shoot after you get to your planned goals...This is a key success factor that makes you feel comfortable and will allow you to shoot when you can and as much as you want....
5 - When the next “panic” occurs and you do not react - you have what you need.....

My 2-cents worth......Mark

Posts: 3239 | Location: MS | Registered: December 16, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Mistake Not...
Picture of Loswsmith
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by cas:
My answer is to try to have a firearm in every conceivable caliber, that way if I do find some ammo, I can shoot it. Wink

And a +10 bag of holding to carry all that around. ;-)

Mistake not my current state of joshing gentle peevishness for the awesome and terrible majesty of the towering seas of ire that are themselves the milquetoast shallows fringing my vast oceans of wrath.

Velocitas Incursio Vis - Gandhi

Posts: 1947 | Location: T-town in the 253 | Registered: January 16, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by hapevo:
I would put away as much as you can afford and or have room for. You never know what the next day will bring. For example, living in the Commie state of California, we now have restrictions on buying ammo on line. We can have it shipped to a FFl, but there is an added cost for the "transfer" and generally a pain in the butt. And this July we will have to go through a background check to purchase ammo. I'm sure the dealers are not going to do that for free, nor do I expect them to.

So, I visited SG Ammo's website weekly before the laws went in to effect. I only shoot 12ga, 5.56 and 9mm. I stopped counting after reaching 10k of the last two calibers. Smile

Interesting link on cost analysis of CA ammo background chk. If this happened in Florida, I’d go ballistic as would many others!

https://www.thenewamerican.com...before-ammo-purchase

Posts: 817 | Location: FL | Registered: September 19, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post

Posts: 26 | Registered: July 06, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
It depends on how much you shoot. But I would say 2 years worth of ammo per gun (whatever that amounts to for your usage). 3 might be even better, but I'd be happy with 2 years worth. X amount of rounds doesn't work for me, because I have 1 .357 mag that I put 2-300 rounds a year through, but might go through 1000 rounds a year of .45 and even more .22 and 9mm...….

Posts: 21335 | Registered: June 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
learned on this board years ago the axiom:

shoot one box - buy two boxes

that has worked well

and consider a gun is worthless without ammo and plan accordingly (next election cycle, etc...)

most people probably have TOO MANY guns and TOO LITTLE ammo

---------------------------------------------

Proverbs 27:17 - As iron sharpens iron, so one man sharpens another.

Posts: 8940 | Location: Florida | Registered: September 20, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Thank you
Very little
Picture of HRK
posted Hide Post
Enough that its written up as a large enough arsenal to outfit a combat unit for 12 monthsafter I die and the news people find it... Big Grin

COuple Thousand rounds of 22, picked it up before the last shortage, couple thousand of 9mm, need to add more, same for 556 and 7.62

Posts: 23238 | Location: Florida | Registered: November 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of kimberkid
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Sig209:
<snip>

I resemble that remark!
I don't know exactly how many AR's I've got but I only shoot a couple of them occasionally, they've all been sighted in and function checked but little else, I keep thinking I'll get back into shooting Service Rifle matches but our new director will have a Grand match one month and a bolt rifle the next month and something else the month after that ... I don't care that he has these other matches but would prefer a regular Service Rifle match ... in which you could use any rifle as long as it has meets service rifle criteria ...
... now I'm getting off track ... sorry [/rant]

I keep a couple 1K cases of everything I shoot on hand at all times ... besides a thousand rounds of loaded components which is typically what I shoot so I don't get into my "factory ammo stash" ... besides I find myself shooting sub-sonic 9mm and 300AC more often now and sub-sonic factory ammo is more expensive than any bulk ... except for 22LR, which I buy a bulk pack or several boxes of Mini-Mags or Super "x" when they have it ... I quit counting at 20K, hopefully that'll be enough for my retirement and the grandkids

If you really want something you'll find a way ...
... if you don't you'll find an excuse.

I'm really not a "kid" anymore ... but I haven't grown up yet either Wink

Posts: 5700 | Registered: January 11, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Doin' what I can
with what I got
Picture of Rob Decker
posted Hide Post
A year, two tops, of practice consumption, and maybe a year of self defense ammo, assuming you burn your carry ammo and refresh with new loads once every so often.

Ammo is in theory shelf stable, but that has its limits unless you're careful with climate control and humidity. I've seen ammo that's been laying around for only a few years that's getting corroded.

----------------------------------------
Death smiles at us all. Be sure you smile back.

Posts: 5540 | Location: Greater Nashville, TN | Registered: May 11, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:

Bingo.
On virtually every firearms-related forum, the emphasis is on buying guns. Just look at the threads -- "what gun(s) shall I buy next?" There are limited discussions about ammo, training, competition, and worn-out barrel replacement. Tons of pictures of guns that have been purchased; very few pictures of actual shooting.

2 guns and 100 rounds of ammo is way more useful than 100 guns and 2 rounds of ammo.

Suck it up and buy ammo by the case. Shoot it by the case. Store it by the case.

Posts: 7852 | Location: Colorado | Registered: January 26, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Without ammunition, a gun is nothing but a club.

Posts: 26 | Registered: July 06, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Little ray
of sunshine
Picture of jhe888
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by cas:
My answer is to try to have a firearm in every conceivable caliber, that way if I do find some ammo, I can shoot it. Wink

Genius!

I don't really like to say how much is in here, but . . .

The fish is mute, expressionless. The fish doesn't think because the fish knows everything.

Posts: 53117 | Location: Texas | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nullus Anxietas
Picture of ensigmatic
posted Hide Post
As much as you can reasonably afford and for which you have room to store.

Every time my wife balks at me buying bulk ammo I remind her of what I went through in 2009 trying to find 9mm ball for the range.

"America is at that awkward stage. It's too late to work within the system,,,, but too early to shoot the bastards." -- Claire Wolfe
"If we let things terrify us, life will not be worth living." -- Seneca the Younger, Roman Stoic philosopher

Posts: 26009 | Location: S.E. Michigan | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of sjames
posted Hide Post
I'll echo a lot of the same thoughts but I try to have no less than 2k in 9mm and 556.

Yeah, I don't have much discretionary spending.

But, here's the catch: I've consolidated all of my high volume shooting to those two calibers alone. I'm still selling off stuff that doesn't fit that paradigm in order to fund more ammo for guns in those chamberings.

Like others, I've had many guns and not enough ammo for them so I sold the guns and piled up ammo for a few guns.

Finally, as important as spare ammo is, training is even more important. That training, both dry fire and live, makes each round fired that much more valuable.

Posts: 2505 | Location: Central Texas | Registered: August 22, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nullus Anxietas
Picture of ensigmatic
posted Hide Post
quote:

I guess that depends upon why one had said guns. Some people are more collectors than anything else.

"America is at that awkward stage. It's too late to work within the system,,,, but too early to shoot the bastards." -- Claire Wolfe
"If we let things terrify us, life will not be worth living." -- Seneca the Younger, Roman Stoic philosopher

Posts: 26009 | Location: S.E. Michigan | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post