SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  Mason's Rifle Room    Recommend a decent affordable fixed power optic
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Recommend a decent affordable fixed power optic Login/Join 
The Unknown
Stuntman
Picture of bionic218
posted
Looking for - hopefully - people who've had experience with a fixed power scope on a 30-30 lever action rifle.

Today I realized two things. One: my Marlin is a very precise rifle. Two: I can't see past 50 yards worth a crap any more.

I want to keep it light and handy, so as not to negate the whole object of having a lever gun. But I also want to be able to see what the heck I'm shooting at.

Posts: 10740 | Location: missouri | Registered: October 18, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Green grass and
high tides
Picture of old rugged cross
posted Hide Post
It is hard to beat a 4x scope imho. I have an old Bushnell 4x banner I believe it is. Probably at least 40years old, maybe more. Made in Japan optic. Very good scope for $45 tyd if interested. I was going to put on a .22-250 but just cannot seem to find one I can afford these days.

4x would be perfect for that cartridge. For more $ a Nikon prostaff would be really good too.

I do not have a lot of experience scoping a LA. I believe that is what scout scopes are all about.
Mounting the scope quite a ways forward. You may want to look into that some. Good luck.

"Practice like you want to play in the game"

Posts: 19158 | Registered: September 21, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
With bad intent
posted Hide Post
Leupold FXII 4x33

I personally prefer a Scout setup but Im probably int the minority. This setup adds very little weight, is fast and I can break clays at 100 yards with it. Fixed 2.5 power.

Another great option is an illumintaed 1-4 variable. This will allow you to zoom for further shots or keep it at 1 power with illumination on for fast movers that are close. This setup I ahve below is similat being a 1.5-5 Scout scope. This past Deer season I shot a coyote at 30 yards that was running at full speed and 5 minutes dropped a deer at 128 yards. Something like the Leupold VXR 1-4 or Leupold Mark AR 1-4.

Posts: 7912 | Location: One step ahead of you | Registered: February 10, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Unknown
Stuntman
Picture of bionic218
posted Hide Post
Thanks, guys.

Posts: 10740 | Location: missouri | Registered: October 18, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post