SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  Mason's Rifle Room    those w/ lever action rifles, do you optic?
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

those w/ lever action rifles, do you optic? Login/Join 
posted
There are a half dozen lever action collectors here,
I am wondering what % of your guns have scopes on them .

I had a .357 that I put a dot scope on ,
next time I will just put a traditional scope on it .

Safety, Situational Awareness and proficiency.

Neck Ties, Hats and ammo brass, Never ,ever touch'em w/o asking first

Posts: 54500 | Location: Henry County , Il | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
With bad intent
posted Hide Post
I put a FastFire 3 on my Marlin 1894 44m, and a Leupold VXr Scout on my Marlin 1895 Guide in 45-70. Prior to that the Guide gun had a Leupold FXII fixed 2.5 power. The rest are buckhorn or peep.

Posts: 7912 | Location: One step ahead of you | Registered: February 10, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Age Quod Agis
Picture of ArtieS
posted Hide Post
I do, because I have CSS and can't hit shit with the existing sights.

Since this is a .35 Remington, and hurls bullets on a lob, I went with a red dot, because magnification isn't needed for under 200 yards which is optimal for the round.

"I vowed to myself to fight against evil more completely and more wholeheartedly than I ever did before. . . . That’s the only way to pay back part of that vast debt, to live up to and try to fulfill that tremendous obligation."

Alfred Hornik, Sunday, December 2, 1945 to his family, on his continuing duty to others for surviving WW II.

Posts: 12743 | Location: Central Florida | Registered: November 02, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Experienced Slacker
posted Hide Post
Yup.
I stick to low power variables by Leupold or Weaver.
Never need batteries and much easier to make 200 yardish hits for my middle aged eyes.

Posts: 7486 | Registered: May 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Prepared for the Worst, Providing the Best
Picture of 92fstech
posted Hide Post
Nice rifle, AtrieS...looks like it's gotten some good use over the years!

I am not a big fan of optics on my lever guns. I feel it messes with the balance, and makes what is a supremely handy platform significantly less handy. My .357, which I primarily use for shooting steel at 50 yards, does not wear any. I don't plan on putting one on my newly acquired .30-30, either.

That said, my eyes kinda suck. Making precision shots out past 50 isn't an easy thing for me to accomplish. As such, my deer rifle, a 45-70 guide gun, has a 4x Nikon on it. I still cringe every time I look at it, but it's a necessary evil.

I do like the idea of a red dot...definitely breaks from the traditional, but it would have a much smaller footprint and minimal impact on balance, as well as faster target acquisition than a traditional scope. I may need to consider it.

Posts: 8414 | Location: In the Cornfields | Registered: May 25, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Age Quod Agis
Picture of ArtieS
posted Hide Post
Thanks 92, unfortunately, the wear isn't mine. I got it used at a good price, and the wear is the price of the prior owner leaving a leather band around the barrel which held the sling. I've cleaned it up best I can, and it shoots beautifully and is very smooth.

As for a red dot on a .45-70, my shooting buddy has a Vortex Venom on his 45-70 Marlin, and it has held up beautifully. It holds zero, and seems unaffected by the significant recoil.

Both he and I are easily holding three shot groups inside of 4 inches at 100 with the red dot on it, and you simply don't notice the weight or any change in balance.

"I vowed to myself to fight against evil more completely and more wholeheartedly than I ever did before. . . . That’s the only way to pay back part of that vast debt, to live up to and try to fulfill that tremendous obligation."

Alfred Hornik, Sunday, December 2, 1945 to his family, on his continuing duty to others for surviving WW II.

Posts: 12743 | Location: Central Florida | Registered: November 02, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Stangosaurus Rex
Picture of Tommydogg
posted Hide Post
I put a red dot on my .357. My thinking is that a pistol caliber would do better with a red dot for the shorter range. For my 30-30, I'll probably put glass on it some day. With astigmatism, irons are more luck for me.

Beth Greene

Posts: 7840 | Location: South Florida | Registered: January 09, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Little ray
of sunshine
Picture of jhe888
posted Hide Post
I have two and the 45-70 has a compact, fixed 4x scope. It is the modern Marlin version.

The cowboy style Marlin .357 does not. I can't bring myself to scope even though it would be easier for me to shoot with one.

The fish is mute, expressionless. The fish doesn't think because the fish knows everything.

Posts: 53117 | Location: Texas | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
"Member"
Picture of cas
posted Hide Post
I think I'm 50/50. Though there's one scoped that I wish wasn't.

Unfortunately my eyes have betrayed me and mostly optics is probably in my future. I won't scope the lever guns that aren't already though, I'll probably let them go. Frown

Posts: 21052 | Location: 18th & Fairfax  | Registered: May 17, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I prefer bolt actions for hunting, but I do have a Leupold 3-9x40mm on a 336 30-30 that I sometimes take out in the deer woods for fun. My eyes just don't pick up fixed sights like they used to.

Posts: 934 | Location: WV | Registered: May 30, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Wait, what?
Picture of gearhounds
posted Hide Post
Yup. I hunt with Marlin .44 mags mostly, and a scope in brush is imperative. One sports a Primary Arms Micro and kills deer as well as any of my traditionally scoped ones.

“Remember to get vaccinated or a vaccinated person might get sick from a virus they got vaccinated against because you’re not vaccinated.” - author unknown

Posts: 15501 | Location: Martinsburg WV | Registered: April 02, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Staring back
from the abyss
Picture of Gustofer
posted Hide Post
I've scoped the 45-70, but the .44 Mag and 30-30 remain open sights.

Posts: 19975 | Location: Montana | Registered: November 01, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
No optic on my lever gun. Skinner peep sight works forme.

Ignem Feram

Posts: 528 | Registered: October 03, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Wishbone
posted Hide Post
Never

Posts: 946 | Location: Oklahoma | Registered: November 23, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Optics? Never!

"If you think everything's going to be alright, you don't understand the problem!"- Gutpile Charlie
"A man's got to know his limitations" - Harry Callahan

Posts: 9249 | Location: Indian Territory, USA | Registered: March 23, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Not really from Vienna
Picture of arfmel
posted Hide Post
None of my several lever guns have anything other than iron sights. I have a couple with receiver mounted peep sights, though, which seem to help with my 60 year old eyes.

Posts: 26852 | Location: Jerkwater, Texas | Registered: January 30, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Still finding my way
Picture of Ryanp225
posted Hide Post
edited: I do not have an optic on my lever action rifle as I like to use the peep sight it came with.

Posts: 10827 | Registered: January 04, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Certified All Positions
Picture of arcwelder
posted Hide Post
I have a Marlin in .45-70 that I've been meaning to do some work to. I'm tempted to buy a second and scope it.

As for all the "never" and "asshole" type comments..

Roll Eyes

Arc.
"You're a junkyard dog." - Lupe Flores. RIP

Posts: 27000 | Location: On fire, off the shoulder of Orion | Registered: June 09, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Still finding my way
Picture of Ryanp225
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by arcwelder76:

As for all the "never" and "asshole" type comments..

Roll Eyes

Twas meant to be a joke hence the blinky face. If it is too offensive I'll happily delete it.

Posts: 10827 | Registered: January 04, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Get Off My Lawn
Picture of oddball
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jhe888:
The cowboy style Marlin .357 does not. I can't bring myself to scope even though it would be easier for me to shoot with one.

I have a Marlin 1894 Cowboy Limited with the octagonal barrel and I also can't bring myself to scope it. Same with my Marlin 39A Mountie. I much prefer shooting my levers with irons only.

"I’m not going to read Time Magazine, I’m not going to read Newsweek, I’m not going to read any of these magazines; I mean, because they have too much to lose by printing the truth"- Bob Dylan, 1965

Posts: 16612 | Location: Texas | Registered: May 13, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post