SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  Mason's Rifle Room    those w/ lever action rifles, do you optic?
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

those w/ lever action rifles, do you optic? Login/Join 
Certified All Positions
Picture of arcwelder
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Ryanp225:
quote:
Originally posted by arcwelder76:

As for all the "never" and "asshole" type comments..

Roll Eyes

Twas meant to be a joke hence the blinky face. If it is too offensive I'll happily delete it.

No need, I'm just rolling my eyes because this is one of those "Ice in Scotch" type things. A personal preference people make a big deal out of for some reason.

Arc.
"You're a junkyard dog." - Lupe Flores. RIP

Posts: 27000 | Location: On fire, off the shoulder of Orion | Registered: June 09, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of RichardC
posted Hide Post
Yes!

Weaver Classic 1X3 , with Warne QD rings.

http://www.weaveroptics.com/op...flescopes/classic_v/

This message has been edited. Last edited by: RichardC,

Posts: 15891 | Location: Florida | Registered: June 23, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I did for a while but then I found a fiber optic front sight at Ranger Point. It works great with the stock rear on my Marlins 357 and 44.

Posts: 241 | Location: Texas | Registered: December 20, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Unknown
Stuntman
Picture of bionic218
posted Hide Post
To my mind, it comes down to use and ability.

For just fun and target shooting, whatever optic you like. Some of these are incredibly accurate rifles within their intended range.

However, if you're hunting it changes a bit. Deer, for example, like to stop and stare, giving you time to line up that perfect scoped shot. Hogs, however, rarely stop moving. So for that I prefer irons or red dot style optics.

It's also dependent on the shooter's ability and/or eye sight. I'm approaching a point where I don't really want an optic on a lot of guns, but I simply can't see well enough to hit without it.

Long story short, if you like hunting hogs or prefer a purist look, stick to the iron sights. If you like target shooting or hunting less mobile game, scope that sucker up. Wink

Posts: 10749 | Location: missouri | Registered: October 18, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Spread the Disease
Picture of flesheatingvirus
posted Hide Post
On my Browning BL-22, yes.

-- Fear is the mind-killer. Fear is the little-death that brings total obliteration. I will face my fear. I will permit it to pass over me and through me. And when it has gone past me I will turn the inner eye to see its path. Where the fear has gone there will be nothing. Only I will remain. --

Posts: 17277 | Location: New Mexico | Registered: October 14, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Yes, my Savage 99 wears an old school single power scope. Amazingly accurate well past 100 yards.

If and when I get an old Winchester it will not have any kind of optic, but will also not be a woods gun.

Posts: 2033 | Location: Virginia | Registered: April 08, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Tupperware Dr.
Picture of GCE61
posted Hide Post
I’ve got a 1964 Marlin 336 in .35 Rem that is a deer killing machine.
As I got into my 50’s my eyes had a hard time picking out the iron sights in the early dim light hours.
So I added a Leupold 2-7x33 scope in Talley low mounts. Works very well.
I was never a guy who liked a scope on lever action rifle‘s, but this combination is extremely effective.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: GCE61,

Posts: 3548 | Registered: December 28, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Browndrake
posted Hide Post
I put a Leupold Scout Scope (2.5 Power)with quick disconnect on my Marlin 336 30/30. I also put a set of ghost ring sights on it. It is my main deer hunting rifle for the northern woods of Michigan. Target acquisition in the brush is extremely fast with this set up and I also happen to think it looks terrific (and so does everyone else who has seen it). It’s just a plain old mean, fast handling set up and it has put more than one deer on the ground. I love it.

Be on your guard; stand firm in the faith; be men of courage; be strong. Do everything in love.
- 1 Corinthians 16:13-14

Posts: 888 | Location: Southwest Michigan | Registered: March 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Jack of All Trades,
Master of Nothing
Picture of 2000Z-71
posted Hide Post
No scopes on any of my lever guns. Most have been used by me in CAS. No way would I ever attempt to put a scope on my great grand father's 92. My dad did give me a Marlin 39 with a 3-9x mounted on it, I took it off almost as soon as I got it. To me a lever action is a traditional firearm that just doesn't look right with a scope. I also look at a lever action as being a quick handling gun and I feel like optics would just slow it down.

That said, I do have a Marlin Guide Gun that's at Wild West Guns right now getting an action job. I may have them so some additional work to it. A small red dot sight might not be a bad idea on that gun...

My daughter can deflate your daughter's soccer ball.

Posts: 11765 | Location: Eagle River, AK | Registered: September 12, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post