SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  Mason's Rifle Room    AR15 and Grease
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

AR15 and Grease Login/Join 
fugitive from reality
Picture of SgtGold
posted Hide Post
TW25b is an excellent product that works well in just about any firearm application. I wouldn't hesitate to use it on an AR BCG. As to running dry, bad idea. I know of at least one company commander who had to explain why their unit's rifles were failing headspace in record numbers. Lack of lube will kill ya.

Posts: 7073 | Location: Newyorkistan | Registered: March 28, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
SLIP 2000 EWL30 is the ticket.

Posts: 107556 | Registered: January 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Middle children
of history
Picture of Brett B
posted Hide Post
I use TW25B on the carrier rail surfaces and charging handle in my AR15 and it works great. I use a light coating of their MC2500 oil on the bolt body and lugs.

I also use the same MIL-COMM products on my SCARs in the same fashion, TW25B on the carrier rails/bearing surfaces and MC2500 on the bolt. I've run several 3-day carbine courses like this and it has never failed even when extremely hot and dirty.

I really like the TW25B because it's rated to perform down to -85F. Even after my SCAR has been cold soaked for several hours in sub-freezing temps the TW25B doesn't thicken up and everything runs like a top.

-------------------------
SCAR forend upgrades:
www.regosys.com
www.instagram.com/regosystems/

Posts: 2597 | Location: Midwest | Registered: September 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Crusty old
curmudgeon
Picture of Jimbo54
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by kilyung:
I used to use grease but now I just spray with Ballistol and shoot.

When I purchased my first AR15 I watched a 'hickok45' video on cleaning and lubing them and this was his solution and that's good enough for me. I've never had an issue but admittedly, I don't shoot AR's a lot.

Jim

"If you can't be a good example, then you'll have to be a horrible warning" -Catherine Aird

Posts: 9791 | Location: The right side of Washington State | Registered: September 14, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
Seems like the carrier in TW25B dries out over time. SLIP 2000 EWL30 stays wet for months.

Go ahead punk, make my day
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by parabellum:
Seems like the carrier in TW25B dries out over time. SLIP 2000 EWL30 stays wet for months.

+1. EWL30 is perfect for BCGs IMO. Thinner lube usually ends up in the buffer tube after a couple of weeks.

Posts: 45798 | Registered: July 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Freethinker
Picture of sigfreund
posted Hide Post
Not that there aren’t many lubes that are as good, if not better, and I have no stake in the matter, but for the record I’ve done a little experimenting with TW-25B.

With an issued P220 that I purposely left dry after a thorough cleaning, it began having malfunctions not long into a training session. After it was lubed properly, the problems disappeared and never recurred. A different P220 was cleaned and lubed with TW-25B after it was turned in. Nine months later it was removed from the safe where it had been left without being touched, and was used for an extensive session. It functioned with no problems.

I won’t try to find it now, but I seem to recall that the company claims that although the light carrier of the product may dry out after application, that does not affect its lubricating properties.

6.4/93.6

“Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something.”
— Plato

Posts: 47407 | Location: 10,150 Feet Above Sea Level in Colorado | Registered: April 04, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Sigless in
Indiana
Picture of IndianaBoy
posted Hide Post
I have started using Lucas Red 'n Tacky EP grease on bolts and carriers, as well as slides and barrels of handguns.

Stays put on rifles regardless of how they are stored. Has worked for me just fine this winter while shooting on cold days. I could see where grease could be a problem on a very cold gun if you live in the frozen North.

Breakfree CLP is the worst lubricant I have ever tried.

Motor oil and the various gun oils work fine, but they tend to run off and need to be freshly applied if the gun sits for a long time.

Grease lubricates better than oil although viscosity is worth paying attention to.

I will add oil as a quick method while at a match or on the range if a gun is getting run hard and gets a little dry. Especially my suppressed AR. Suppressed guns get filthy and grease retains lubricant properties better with heavy carbon fouling. But a shot of oil in addition to the grease being present is helpful if the gun is hot and filthy.

Posts: 14122 | Location: Indiana | Registered: December 04, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Like a party
in your pants
Picture of armored
posted Hide Post
I currently use Permetex hi-temp. anti-sieze lube.( VERY MESSY) or mobile 1 for my firearms lub. needs.
I may try the Slip 2000 EWL-30.

Posts: 4623 | Location: Chicago, IL, USA: | Registered: November 17, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sigfreund:
I won’t try to find it now, but I seem to recall that the company claims that although the light carrier of the product may dry out after application, that does not affect its lubricating properties.
I keep an AR15 at the ready to defend my life. When I lube a BCG with TW25b, come back a few weeks later and look at it and the lube looks caked and dry, it really doesn't matter to me if it's still as effective a lube as it was at application (based upon what some paper or study says). What matters is my level of confidence in this critical tool, and dried-looking, caked lubricant is nothing I'll ever have faith in.

I put a thin bead of SLIP 2000 EWL30 all along the four contact rails of the carrier, and bit of EWL30 on the bolt head, come back weeks or months later and pull the BCG, and it's nice and wet- all four rails on the carrier shine with wet lube, and that gives me confidence in my AR15.
We're talking about a rifle that spends time laying horizontally and standing vertically, and in a wide range of temperatures, from about 20 degrees to 120 degrees Fahrenheit.

Picture of the Hudge
posted Hide Post
Parabellum, this is exactly the info I'm looking for, and for the same purpose. I use tw25b on my very tight fitting 1911 that sits in the safe way more than it should and after months it's still crazy slick. I figure with the proper grease I could do the same with my chosen AR, BCG and lugs.

Thanks to every one for the information and participation.

Posts: 799 | Location: Inland Nortwest | Registered: May 29, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Delusions of Adequacy
Picture of zoom6zoom
posted Hide Post
a handy dandy diagram ylu can stick in your range bag, showing what gets grease, and what gets lube.
link

I have my own style of humor. I call it Snarkasm.

Posts: 17944 | Location: Virginia | Registered: June 02, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
quarter MOA visionary
Picture of smschulz
posted Hide Post
Weaponshield grease works for me.

Posts: 22902 | Location: Houston, TX | Registered: June 11, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by smschulz:
Weaponshield grease works for me.

I use the Weapon Shield lube, and it has worked flawlessly in my AR's, even after they have sit idle for a while. I wouldn't hesitate to use the WS grease as well, but the standard lube has been plenty adequate for my uses.

Posts: 655 | Location: Northern Colorado, USA | Registered: September 25, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
That rug really tied
the room together.
Picture of bubbatime
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by zoom6zoom:
a handy dandy diagram ylu can stick in your range bag, showing what gets grease, and what gets lube.
link

Oops, you didn't read that diagram correctly. "G" stands for "generous" amount of lube, and not "grease". But lots of people do use grease with good results. I've been using ALG very thin grease and I LOVE the stuff.

Posts: 6661 | Location: Floriduh | Registered: October 16, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post