SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  Mason's Rifle Room    AR15 and Grease
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

AR15 and Grease Login/Join 
Picture of the Hudge
posted
Over the last year or so my AR15 has become AR15's. I had no issues using slide glide on the 556's, anywhere and everywhere. Never had an issue and clean up was easy. Now, I'm pretty sure I wont be using slide glide on my AR's but I also have a quantity of TW25b.
So my question is, can I use TW25b on the rails and locking lugs of the AR15?
I am looking for an easy answer to keep my go two AR's lubricated yet ready for use without having to constantly re-lube.

Thank You.
the hudge

Posts: 799 | Location: Inland Nortwest | Registered: May 29, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
You're going to feel
a little pressure...
posted Hide Post
Slip 2000 Extreme Weapons Grease.
One tub will last years.

Bruce

"The designer of the gun had clearly not been instructed to beat about the bush. 'Make it evil,' he'd been told. 'Make it totally clear that this gun has a right end and a wrong end. Make it totally clear to anyone standing at the wrong end that things are going badly for them. If that means sticking all sort of spikes and prongs and blackened bits all over it then so be it. This is not a gun for hanging over the fireplace or sticking in the umbrella stand, it is a gun for going out and making people miserable with." -Douglas Adams

“It is just as difficult and dangerous to try to free a people that wants to remain servile as it is to try to enslave a people that wants to remain free."
-Niccolo Machiavelli

The trouble with fighting for human freedom is that one spends most of one's time defending scoundrels. For it is against scoundrels that oppressive laws are first aimed, and oppression must be stopped at the beginning if it is to be stopped at all. -Mencken

Posts: 4245 | Location: AK-49 | Registered: October 06, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
"Member"
Picture of cas
posted Hide Post
I personally don't think I'd be greasing the bolt lugs, but I've used it and all sorts of different grease on the carrier including slide glide and can't remember ever having a problem.

Even at well below freezing. But that's shooting the gun. The only time I don't use grease it when I'm hunting... where the gun may be sitting unfired in sub freezing temps for a week. Plus there's the smell. Smile

Posts: 21097 | Location: 18th & Fairfax  | Registered: May 17, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Hop head
Picture of lyman
posted Hide Post
I grease up the recoil spring, (makes it quiet) and CLP the rest,

I have used grease on the rails of the carrier, but did not notice that it worked any better or worse than using CLP,

https://www.chesterfieldarmament.com/

Posts: 10417 | Location: Beach VA,not VA Beach | Registered: July 17, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Freethinker
Picture of sigfreund
posted Hide Post
I have issued TW-25B to many officers for their handguns and when asked confirmed that they could use it on their ARs as well. I use another Mil-Comm product on my rifles, and there are countless other good gun lubes, but I wouldn’t hesitate to use TW-25B.

6.4/93.6

“Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something.”
— Plato

Posts: 47397 | Location: 10,150 Feet Above Sea Level in Colorado | Registered: April 04, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
With bad intent
posted Hide Post
I use shooters choice or some white lithium grease I got form wel known smith on the corners of the cam pin, bolt stem and "rails". Slip 2000 EWG on the rest.

Posts: 7912 | Location: One step ahead of you | Registered: February 10, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
When you fall, I will be there to catch you -With love, the floor
posted Hide Post
quote:
TW-25B

I used it for a while some time back but found it was separating in the syringe type applicator. It was a problem for the stock on the shelf at the Pro Shop so they started to recommend other lybe types. I myself use the Slip2000 EWL oil.

Richard Scalzo
Epping, NH

http://www.bigeastakitarescue.net

Posts: 5803 | Location: Epping, NH | Registered: October 16, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of the Hudge
posted Hide Post
I guess the nucleus of my question is the locking lugs.
If I were only to put on a light coating of said grease on the lugs would that have a negative effect on the function of the gun?
These are go to guns, not range toys.

Posts: 799 | Location: Inland Nortwest | Registered: May 29, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I use the black lithium type grease on my duty Colt AR15 11.5” Commando for years with no issues. Where I work it gets over a 100• with high humidity and in the winter it gets -30. Never had an issue.

On my personal retro early slabside M16 copy I have used Lubriplate that I use in my Garands and M1 Carbines with no issues.

I prefer grease over oil.

Posts: 4043 | Registered: January 17, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by the Hudge:
I guess the nucleus of my question is the locking lugs.
If I were only to put on a light coating of said grease on the lugs would that have a negative effect on the function of the gun?
These are go to guns, not range toys.

I used TW25 Grease on the lugs and locking recesses of my AR’s for years. ZERO malfunctions. I prefer Slip 2000 now but would use TW25 any time I didn’t have Slip 2000 available.......

Remember, this is all supposed to be for fun...................

Posts: 4123 | Registered: April 06, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of the Hudge
posted Hide Post
Thank you.

Old Air Cavalryman
Picture of ARMT Guy
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by cas:
I personally don't think I'd be greasing the bolt lugs, but I've used it and all sorts of different grease on the carrier including slide glide and can't remember ever having a problem.

Even at well below freezing.

I agree.

I personally am not crazy about lubing the bolt lugs either, but whatever floats your boat, OP.

While I've used TW25 on aircraft machine guns, ( rifles and pistols in a pinch ) I feel it's a little on the thin side. Plus, with TW25 separating over time and needing to be remixed periodically, I was always a tad bit dubious of it.

I've been using Slide Glide ( lite ) in all of my semi-auto firearms, ( ARs, AKs, M1As, Benelli shotguns and all manner of pistols, ) for about the last dozen plus years. Select fire and semi.. from the hot humid South, to the negative temp winters of northern NY, to Iraq and Afghanistan.. Slide Glide works and works well.

"Also I heard the voice of the Lord saying who shall I send, and who will go for us? Then said I, here am I, send me."

Posts: 7464 | Location: Georgia | Registered: February 19, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Chilihead and Barbeque Aficionado
Picture of 2Adefender
posted Hide Post
Another vote for Slip 2000 EWL. Not too thick, not too thin. Stays where you put it.

Slide Glide Lite would be my next choice. Great lube.

I use TW-25B to lube pistol fire control action parts, but I have no other use for the stuff.

The Second Amendment is not about hunting or sport shooting.

Posts: 10489 | Location: FL | Registered: December 29, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of the Hudge
posted Hide Post
No Lubing at all on the lugs? So run the bolt lugs dry?

"Member"
Picture of cas
posted Hide Post
I just keep them lightly oiled like any other metal surface inside or out.

Posts: 21097 | Location: 18th & Fairfax  | Registered: May 17, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I used to use grease but now I just spray with Ballistol and shoot.

Posts: 282 | Registered: March 18, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Freethinker
Picture of sigfreund
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by the Hudge:
So run the bolt lugs dry?

Why would we do that?
I lube the locking lugs of all my other rifles and my Benelli shotgun. There's a lot of high pressure friction involved when they cam into place and I cannot imagine why no lube would be appropriate.

6.4/93.6

“Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something.”
— Plato

Posts: 47397 | Location: 10,150 Feet Above Sea Level in Colorado | Registered: April 04, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Go Vols!
Picture of Oz_Shadow
posted Hide Post
I put a dab of Rig +P on the four corner areas of the carrier. The rest just gets CLP or FP10.

Posts: 17880 | Location: SE Michigan | Registered: February 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
That rug really tied
the room together.
Picture of bubbatime
posted Hide Post
Going off memory, unlubed bolt lugs causes excess wear and rotational force. Which causes premature bolt failure and cracking. I always lube the contact surfaces of my bolt with a little grease.

Posts: 6660 | Location: Floriduh | Registered: October 16, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The cake is a lie!
Picture of Nismo
posted Hide Post
I was told that Slip2000 EWL 30 will stay put even through long-term storage upright.

Posts: 7421 | Location: CA | Registered: April 08, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post