SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  Mason's Rifle Room    AK magazines - clue me in
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

AK magazines - clue me in Login/Join 
The Unknown
Stuntman
Picture of bionic218
posted
Long story short, buddy needed cash so I bought back an AKM I'd sold to him some time ago (WASR 10/63). He needed the funds, and I had a mild jones for another AK, so it worked out for both of us.

However, back when I sold it, the metal E. European AK mags were the only game worth a hoot on he market. Now Magpul and a few others are making them too. Any of them worth a damn?

Thanks.

Posts: 10740 | Location: missouri | Registered: October 18, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I Am The Walrus
posted Hide Post
No issues with my Magpul AK mags so far. But to be fair, I haven't put many rounds through them. Less than 100 each mag.

Posts: 13097 | Registered: March 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
One Who Knows
Picture of Brother
posted Hide Post
Pmags work great Bionic. Of course, that WASR will probably be reliable with any mag . . . I hope you are well. Tom

Posts: 1587 | Location: Central MO | Registered: November 20, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Unknown
Stuntman
Picture of bionic218
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Brother:
Pmags work great Bionic. Of course, that WASR will probably be reliable with any mag . . . I hope you are well. Tom

Thanks, Tom. It's good to hear from you, and I am doing well. We need to go shooting some time. Crops are out right now, so the range is open! Big Grin

Posts: 10740 | Location: missouri | Registered: October 18, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
at least on magpul you want the gen3 ones.

“So in war, the way is to avoid what is strong, and strike at what is weak.”

Posts: 10996 | Registered: October 14, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Unknown
Stuntman
Picture of bionic218
posted Hide Post
quote:
at least on magpul you want the gen3 ones.

Thanks, Jon. Issues on the M2 and previous I'm guessing?

And are the 20 round versions as good/reliable as the 30s?

Never Go
Full Retard
Picture of MitchbSC
posted Hide Post
The big feature on the PMAG 30 AK/AKM GEN M3 over the MOE version is "Stainless steel rear locking lug and reinforced front lug and spine for increased durability".

They don't think it be like it is, but it do.

Posts: 4797 | Location: SC | Registered: January 27, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Let's be careful
out there
posted Hide Post
My Polytech AKS from Peoples' Arsenal 386 shoots P Mags just as well as the East German ones. The P Mags don't work as well for banging the mag release to drop an empty mag.

Posts: 7333 | Location: NW OHIO | Registered: May 29, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Unknown
Stuntman
Picture of bionic218
posted Hide Post
Fixed it this afternoon!

My good friend, the guy that actually sold me this rifle almost 8 years ago, hooked me up with a cache of smooth-back Chi-com metal mags! If you know about metal AK mags, then you know why I'm so pleased with this deal.

Thanks all for the tips.

posting without pants
Picture of KevinCW
posted Hide Post
The Magpul ones have been great in mine

Strive to live your life so when you wake up in the morning and your feet hit the floor, the devil says "Oh crap, he's up."

Posts: 33287 | Location: St. Louis MO | Registered: February 15, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by bionic218:
My good friend, the guy that actually sold me this rifle almost 8 years ago, hooked me up with a cache of smooth-back Chi-com metal mags! If you know about metal AK mags, then you know why I'm so pleased with this deal.

Nice. Those are the best choice for steel 30 round mags, IMO. ~75% of my AK mags are flat-back 30 rounders.

Most of the rest of my 30 rounders are Bulgarian Circle 10 waffle mags, which unfortunately have gotten stupidly expensive these days... ($45!)

I'm also a big fan of the 20 round Hungarian magazines, and have a bunch of those as well. Shorter and handier than the various 30 rounders, they barely extend further than the pistol grip. If they made flat-back 20 rounders, I'd be a happy camper.

AIM Surplus just got a big batch of the Hungarian 20s in, though they're not quite as cheap as they used to be. https://www.aimsurplus.com/product.aspx?item=MAK47H20

Posts: 32495 | Location: Northwest Arkansas | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Unknown
Stuntman
Picture of bionic218
posted Hide Post
quote:
If they made flat-back 20 rounders

Agreed! That would be perfection.

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by RogueJSK:
AIM Surplus just got a big batch of the Hungarian 20s in, though they're not quite as cheap as they used to be. https://www.aimsurplus.com/product.aspx?item=MAK47H20

Thank you RogueJSK, just bought five!!

Posts: 1548 | Registered: October 30, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post