SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  Mason's Rifle Room    Advice on Sig 556XI purchase
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Advice on Sig 556XI purchase Login/Join 
posted
I was at my local shop yesterday and they had a 556XI chambered in 5.56. It looked brand new and they didn't have much other info on it. It was in stock configuration and did not come with a magazine or box/case. The price was low on it, I would say in the low to mid range AR15 price range.

The reviews online seem good, the only downside people harp on is that it is discontinued. But I cannot seem to find many design/quality issues with the the 556XI. I have always been interested in them. I have a MCX and M400 Pro and love the rifles.

My biggest concern in support and getting parts if I ever need them. Any feedback on the gun is appreciated.

Posts: 550 | Location: Texas | Registered: November 15, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
hambered in 5.56. It looked brand new and they didn't have much other info on it. It was in stock configuration and did not come with a magazine or box/case. The price was low on it, I would say in the low to mid range AR15 price range.

The reviews online seem good, the only downside people harp on is that it is discontinued. But I cannot seem to find many design/quality issues with the the 556XI. I have always been interested in them. I have a MCX and M400 Pro and love the rifles.

My biggest concern in support and getting parts if I ever need them. Any feedback on the gun is appreciated.

There are several places to buy parts online.

Gatewood supply being the first one to come to mind.

https://www.gatewoodsupplyco.com/

Posts: 6633 | Location: Virginia | Registered: December 23, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Lead slingin'
Parrot Head
Picture of Modern Day Savage
posted Hide Post
Even though a manufacturer discontinues a model that doesn't mean they take all the parts they have on hand and throw them in the trash. Those parts are often retained to perform work on customer's guns, whether under warranty or not. In some cases they may even retain parts on hand to fulfill contract obligations. In some instances they retain the parts because while one model may be discontinued they may share some parts commonality with other models which are still in production.

If the 556 XI had been discontinued a decade or more ago I might be more concerned about parts availability, but it wasn't that long ago.

Perhaps you could contact SIG and find out if they still perform work on the 556 XI...maybe even talk to an armorer and find out which part(s) may be more likely to fail and work to stock up on some, or find a spare parts kit.

I've never owned an XI but my experience with the 55X family is that it is a fairly robust, durable, reliable design.

Posts: 7324 | Location: the Centennial state | Registered: August 21, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
If you like Sig rifles, then go for it.

I would not buy it, however. I shoot my ARs enough that I wear out barrels and other parts. I want options for replacement parts, and I want the option of being able to change an AR's configuration down the road.

Posts: 7852 | Location: Colorado | Registered: January 26, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of CQB60
posted Hide Post
Sig discontinued it & moved onto developing the MCX and left a few people holding the bag as the XI had promised modularity that Sig never delivered upon. I’ve used the XI guns & they are good shooters. If the price were right, I’d buy one.

Posts: 13796 | Location: VIrtual | Registered: November 13, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the advice. They are asking $700 out the door for the rifle. I was not interested in it until I saw the price. It is hard to pass up a quality rifle at that price.

Posts: 550 | Location: Texas | Registered: November 15, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Factor8:
They are asking $700 out the door for the rifle. I was not interested in it until I saw the price. It is hard to pass up a quality rifle at that price.

For $700 you can purchase/build an AR15 that will put thousands and thousands of rounds down range just as well, and possibly with greater accuracy. And after you've beat up that AR15 and worn out parts, or just grow tired of how it's configured, you can go to a bizillion stores/sites and order up new parts.

or you can have another Sig.

Posts: 7852 | Location: Colorado | Registered: January 26, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of kimberkid
posted Hide Post
I don't hide the fact that I'm a fan of the 55X platform. I really like the Xi platform lower, in fact I've replaced my P556-SBR and P553-SBR lowers with the Xi lower because its ambidextrous its not an AR and I like the logo on the magwell ... the only complete Xi that I own is the 762x39 ... I don't shoot it as much as I thought I would, but I don't want to sell it either ...

For $700, I'd buy it just because I like'm.

If you really want something you'll find a way ...
... if you don't you'll find an excuse.

I'm really not a "kid" anymore ... but I haven't grown up yet either Wink

Posts: 5700 | Registered: January 11, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I am one of those completely f**** by sig on the 556 platform. Including the XI in 7.62x39. For the record I don't own a 5.56 XI. I would never pay $700 for one of these. Sig will not sell you any parts per my several conversations with them. If you have a warranty issue then maybe a chance they can fix it. Second hand that is not you. If you want to get a flavor for it just jump over to gatewood or MGM and see what parts are available with the normal thinking about things that break/need replacement in these guns (extractors, bolts, springs etc.). Its very likely you can run the gun for quite awhile without issues as they are quite durable, and at a decent price I would consider that. But just be sure you jump with knowledge.

“So in war, the way is to avoid what is strong, and strike at what is weak.”

Posts: 10966 | Registered: October 14, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Go ahead punk, make my day
posted Hide Post
Nah, complete pass on that. Buy 2 cases of ammo or put money towards a good optic on a rifle you already own.

Posts: 45798 | Registered: July 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Hard pass. $400, maybe. $700, no way.

---------------------------------------------
"AND YEA THOUGH THE HINDUS SPEAK OF KARMA, I IMPLORE YOU...GIVE HER A BREAK, LORD". - Clark W. Griswald

Posts: 2314 | Location: The South | Registered: September 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post