SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  Mason's Rifle Room    Leupold VXR patrol 3-9x40 vs Trijicon AccuPower 3-9x40, Trijicon AccuPower 1-8x28. (Added)
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Leupold VXR patrol 3-9x40 vs Trijicon AccuPower 3-9x40, Trijicon AccuPower 1-8x28. (Added) Login/Join 
We gonna get some
oojima in this house!
Picture of smithnsig
posted
General purpose AR scope. Mostly for the range. I have been partial to Leupold in the past but the AccuPower interests me. I’m comfortable with 3-9.

I have a Leupold VX3 on a 308 bolt gun and have a Mark AR mod 1 as a sight in/extra. I’ve had Trijicon optics in the past, it not a scope.
Also, I like exposed turrets.

Also intrigued by the 1-8 Trijicon. One one hand, I like 9x so 8x with a better low range could be good. On the other hand, that 1x costs about $1,500 and weighs 25 oz. it’s also a lot of reticle that I would probably never fully utilize.

Opinions appreciated.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: smithnsig,

-----------------------------------------------------------
TCB all the time...

Posts: 6501 | Location: Cantonment/Perdido Key, Florida | Registered: September 28, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Go ahead punk, make my day
posted Hide Post
While I don't have either, I've owned a Mark AR 1.5-4x and a 1-4 Accupower, plus I have some time behind a VXR 1.25-4 at a class, so I have used most of the features that set them apart.

(1) Illumination control - Pushbutton (L) vs Dial (T). I prefer the dial of the Trijicon over the button of the Leupold, but there is nothing really bad about the VXR, except you have to keep pressing the button to going up or down if you go past the illum level you like. But the MST of the L is a nice feature.

(2) Reticle options - The Trijicon has more available.

(3) Turrets - Exposed (L) vs Capped (T). Depends if you are going to dial or just do holds. For me on a 3-9ish scope I would likely prefer exposed. Leupold Turrets felt a little better click wise, but neither are really precision type clicks.

(4) Tube size - 30mm (L) vs 1" (T). Leupold will have more adjustment but otherwise not a huge factor - although thinking longer term, if the scope doesn't work out for you, there are more AR optics in 30MM than 1".

(5) Feel / Durability - Overall the VXR series seems a bit more 'tough' to me than the Accupower line. I did drop my 1-4x Accupower during a class and it held zero, but a bunch of internal dust / debris started to gather on the reticle - Trijicon replaced it under warranty with no issues.

While in the 1-4x range, I would chose the Accupower every day over a 1.25-4x VXR, in the 3-9x range I'm pretty sure I'd go with the Leupold. But honestly I don't think you can go wrong with either if you are set on this power range and prefer a certain feature (ie, if you really want capped turrets or dial illum, etc).

Posts: 45798 | Registered: July 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
We gonna get some
oojima in this house!
Picture of smithnsig
posted Hide Post
Post edited to add Trijicon 1-8x28.

TCB all the time...

Posts: 6501 | Location: Cantonment/Perdido Key, Florida | Registered: September 28, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of onpointgun
posted Hide Post
I have one of these that is a great rifle optic at a mid entry price point. I don't use it any more but its still in the safe.

Leupold Mark AR MOD 1 1.5-4x20mm

LINK

If funds don't matter I like this scope its what I use for 3 gun.

VX-6 1-6x24mm MultiGun
LINK

I will be swift in my attack. My venom is packed with enough pride and gun powder to take down
any adversary that attempts to tread on my freedom. You've been warned, but if you
still want to test me, take a step forward.

Posts: 2033 | Location: ON THE YELLOW BRICK ROAD | Registered: February 11, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
We gonna get some
oojima in this house!
Picture of smithnsig
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by onpointgun:
I have one of these that is a great rifle optic at a mid entry price point. I don't use it any more but its still in the safe.

LINK

VX-6 1-6x24mm MultiGun
LINK

I have two of the AR mod1 also. I have a 3x9 non illuminated mil dot and a 1.5-4 with the fire dot and SPR. For the price they are pretty good. The 3x9 is a backup and the 1.5-4 is what I put on my lightweight carbine in the truck.

I like LPVOs and I also like a good midrange magnification. I just wonder if the Trijicon is being a bit too much at 25 oz. doesn’t matter on a bench or bipod, but you don’t need 1x on those either.

The VX-6 is a dream optic for me. I want to eventually get one. It’s still pretty lightweight and handy.

TCB all the time...

We gonna get some
oojima in this house!
Picture of smithnsig
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by smithnsig:
quote:

LINK

VX-6 1-6x24mm MultiGun
LINK

I have two of the AR mod1 also. I have a 3x9 non illuminated mil dot and a 1.5-4 with the fire dot and SPR. For the price they are pretty good. The 3x9 is a backup and the 1.5-4 is what I put on my lightweight carbine in the truck.

I like LPVOs and I also like a good midrange magnification. I just wonder if the Trijicon is being a bit too much at 25 oz. doesn’t matter on a bench or bipod, but you don’t need 1x on those either.

The Mark 6 would be a dream optic. I want to eventually get one. It’s still pretty lightweight and handy.

TCB all the time...

Picture of onpointgun
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:

LINK

VX-6 1-6x24mm MultiGun
LINK

The VX-6 is a dream optic for me. I want to eventually get one. It’s still pretty lightweight and handy.

I have mine mounted in a Geissele mount. I think it is my all time favorite combination.

LINK

I will be swift in my attack. My venom is packed with enough pride and gun powder to take down
any adversary that attempts to tread on my freedom. You've been warned, but if you

Posts: 2033 | Location: ON THE YELLOW BRICK ROAD | Registered: February 11, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
For a general purpose AR, there is a big advantage up close to having a true 1x low end. Top end isn't a big deal, I had no problem banging 500yd steel with my 3x ACOG.

I'd do a 1-4x, 1-6x or 1-8x depending on my budget.

Some other options:

https://swfa.com/swfa-ss-hd-1-...30mm-riflescope.html

https://www.primaryarms.com/pr...cle-pa1-8x24ffp-acss

-Primary Arms has a lot of low power variables starting at under $300

“People have to really suffer before they can risk doing what they love.” –Chuck Palahnuik

Be harder to kill: https://preparefit.ck.page

Posts: 5043 | Location: Oregon | Registered: October 02, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of RichardC
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Strambo:
For a general purpose AR, there is a big advantage up close to having a true 1x low end. Some other options:

https://swfa.com/swfa-ss-hd-1-...30mm-riflescope.html

The SWFA has a very good 1X picture.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: RichardC,

Posts: 15841 | Location: Florida | Registered: June 23, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:

Strongly considered it and handled it extensively at SHOT.

Heavy, mushy exposed turrets, poor illumination

I can deal with meh turrets it they are capped, set and forget.

We gonna get some
oojima in this house!
Picture of smithnsig
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by RHINOWSO:
quote:

Strongly considered it and handled it extensively at SHOT.

Heavy, mushy exposed turrets, poor illumination

I can deal with meh turrets it they are capped, set and forget.

Hmm. I want to like Trijicon but there is always something about their stuff that turns me off.

TCB all the time...

Telecom Ronin
Picture of dewhorse
posted Hide Post
I have been really jonesing for a vx6, lightweight, simple recticle...perfect for an SBR, at least to me.

But regarding your question, for a social rifle I would want a 1x? or at most a 2x? (Although I have yet to try the 2x?)

Getting a good 1x8 is not cheap, hence the reason I don't have one yet.

There is a great comparison on arf.com of LPV, in the $1200+ segment there are some great choices.

Posts: 8301 | Location: Back in NE TX ....to stay | Registered: February 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
We gonna get some
oojima in this house!
Picture of smithnsig
posted Hide Post
Well, my “social” rifle has a 1x Holo sight. This is more for stretching it out a bit. If I was in the military I would call it an SPR. Big Grin

As far as a woods type gun, I am looking at Some 1-5 or 1-6 glass. I have a 1.5-4 which works great all things considered, but will probably go ahead and get something a bit closer to 1x and a bigger top end. But hey, that’s for another thread. Cool

TCB all the time...

posted Hide Post
Look at the Vortex 1-6x24 PST Gen 2. Runs about $600, very clear and is great at 1x and throughout the power range.

I got one of the first ones and it had to go back for faulty illum, but their revised version with better illum and non-glossy paint is great.

I have one on a BCM 16" Midlength ELW rifle. It's awesome.

addicted to trailing-throttle oversteer
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by RHINOWSO:
Look at the Vortex 1-6x24 PST Gen 2. Runs about $600, very clear and is great at 1x and throughout the power range.

I got one of the first ones and it had to go back for faulty illum, but their revised version with better illum and non-glossy paint is great.

I have one on a BCM 16" Midlength ELW rifle. It's awesome.

The Gen2 Viper is indeed a pretty nice optic. I like it better than the Gen2 Razor 1-6 that I had. Sold the Razor off to a buddy and now he regrets buying it, though I can't say that I didn't warn him. Vortex says the scope is in spec; if that's spec I'd hate to see what their definition of out-of-spec is. I still don't understand the love that this particular Vortex scope gets among competition shooters. I suppose if you always have it set above 2x so that the edge distortion won't irk the hell out of its users like it did me when I left it on 1x. I don't experience any of that nonsense with the Viper, or with the 1-8 Strike Eagle.

Posts: 8983 | Location: Drippin' wet | Registered: April 18, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
We gonna get some
oojima in this house!
Picture of smithnsig
posted Hide Post
Yeah. For the 1-6 it will be a Vortex Viper or the Leupold VX. Either 5 or 6.

TCB all the time...

posted Hide Post
I don't own any Trijicon products. I played with them about a year ago when I was looking at AR-15 optics options. I thought the Trijicons were OK, just not up to the levels of the other LPV scopes.

If you're looking at the Trijicon 1-8x, then you're over $1100 for a street price. If you're comfy with a 3-9x optic, consider 2-10x optics. Burris and Vortex come into play. I've played with the Burris at demos in precision matches, and it seems like a decent optic. I own the Vortex and it is a decent optic.

A lot depends on whether or not you want a true 1x scope.

Posts: 7852 | Location: Colorado | Registered: January 26, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
We gonna get some
oojima in this house!
Picture of smithnsig
posted Hide Post
Optics Planet has a sale on select Leupold scopes I got a VXR patrol 3x9 including g a Leupold Mount for $499. Couldn’t pass that up. I like the TMR firedot reticle. It’s simple. The turrets are exposed and I like turning dials. The BDC on the turret works well on my other Leupolds.

Cons are, I prefer the green dot to be be red. Have to use a tool to Zero the turret. Can’t lock the turrets.

If it works out like I want it to, I’ll get a proper mount and I’ll be shopping for the righ 1-6. I have a 1.5-4 that I will put on the knock around AR.

TCB all the time...

Picture of onpointgun
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:

LINK

VX-6 1-6x24mm MultiGun
LINK

I found you one of the old ones if you are interested..

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Leupo...?hash=item214d772c1d

We gonna get some
oojima in this house!
Picture of smithnsig
posted Hide Post
Well dookie. I would like to have one. I bought in to the Vortex Razor 1-6, and picked up the VXR Patrol. I'll probably stay with the Razor, and get a newer model eventually.

TCB all the time...