SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  Mason's Rifle Room    AR hand guard install delta ring issues
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

AR hand guard install delta ring issues Login/Join 
posted
Need advise on retracting the delta ring on a rra barrel assembly.

This barrel has a flat sided delta ring. Trying to install old style carbine hand guards.

I cannot get this type of delta ring(flat sided) to pull back far enough and long enough(slips).

Is this the wrong type of hand guard for this type ring. I don't think it is.

I had barrel assembly built to order 2 yrs ago and didn't think to spec old style delta ring(angled). I have no problem with old angled with my brownell sourced ring wrench.

Any advise appreciated.

Posts: 464 | Location: NC | Registered: March 23, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
"Member"
Picture of cas
posted Hide Post
The picture is confusing me. Is the barrel nut on the correct side of things? (why is there so much spring showing?)

(Is it a .22LR or 9mm or something, why is there no gas tube?) Smile

Posts: 21097 | Location: 18th & Fairfax  | Registered: May 17, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Character, above all else
Picture of Tailhook 84
posted Hide Post
I've swapped handguards on two RRA rifles and each time I had the same issues you've described even though I was using a delta ring tool similar to yours. It was very difficult getting the standard handguards off and impossible to get the Magpuls on. I finally took a dremel to the rear lip of the handguards to get rid of that 1/64th inch that I couldn't get past the ring. Mad

"The Truth, when first uttered, is always considered heresy."

Posts: 2541 | Location: West of Fort Worth | Registered: March 05, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by cas:
The picture is confusing me. Is the barrel nut on the correct side of things? (why is there so much spring showing?)

(Is it a .22LR or 9mm or something, why is there no gas tube?) Smile

I was mocking it up. It looks like they have too many springs on this assembly. I've bent the band trying to compress it.

Posts: 464 | Location: NC | Registered: March 23, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Tailhook 84:
I've swapped handguards on two RRA rifles and each time I had the same issues you've described even though I was using a delta ring tool similar to yours. It was very difficult getting the standard handguards off and impossible to get the Magpuls on. I finally took a dremel to the rear lip of the handguards to get rid of that 1/64th inch that I couldn't get past the ring. Mad

I'm thinking about cutting one of the spring bands off but sounds like your saying the ring is just too tall.

Don't understand why they have so damn tight. Goes counter to interchangeability of the platform mantra.

edit...
Looking closer the RRA has four bands of spring steel whereas the colt I can lay my hands/eyes on has three.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Hangtime,

Hop head
Picture of lyman
posted Hide Post
flat delta rings are retro, angled are modern,

https://www.chesterfieldarmament.com/

Posts: 10417 | Location: Beach VA,not VA Beach | Registered: July 17, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by lyman:
flat delta rings are retro

Yep. Old school.

Posts: 32492 | Location: Northwest Arkansas | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I figured it out. Yey!!

You have to wonder about these firearms companies

Great Pictures!!!

Didn't know that older M-16's had flat rings.

These are bendable at least after I got finished with this version.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Hangtime,