SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  Mason's Rifle Room    sig 516
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

sig 516 Login/Join 
Tuesday was gone when I told her my name is the breeze.
posted
guys,is the sig 516 a good ar for a a starter first time ar.
I can get one fairly cheap for my son

Thanks for advice,as i have not followed the ar sig market that much.

Posts: 1796 | Location:  | Registered: November 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of CandyMan.45
posted Hide Post
Will say I'm a fan, only drawback is the weight...

Posts: 1244 | Location: The Edge of Nowhere... | Registered: April 05, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
After I've seen Colt 6920's go for under $800 I wouldn't even blink twice looking at a SIG AR......

Remember, this is all supposed to be for fun...................

Posts: 4123 | Registered: April 06, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Old Air Cavalryman
Picture of ARMT Guy
posted Hide Post
Yes.

I've had mine for almost ten years now, with the last year having not cleaned it after half a dozen range trips and numerous three-gun events.

"Also I heard the voice of the Lord saying who shall I send, and who will go for us? Then said I, here am I, send me."

Posts: 7464 | Location: Georgia | Registered: February 19, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I'm not exactly sure djpaintles point.
In the case of any AR price is always relative to something else. The 6920 is the benchmark standard rifle and right now they are cheaper than they have been in the past. To answer the question posed the 516 is a decent AR for a first time AR. Should you purchase it really depends on what fairly cheap is. I'd buy one every time versus the alternatives at $499 (DPMS territory), but I'd never even think about buying one at $699 since a 6920 would be so close in price. Hopefully that helps.

“So in war, the way is to avoid what is strong, and strike at what is weak.”

Posts: 11002 | Registered: October 14, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ride the lightning
Picture of Killer Instincts
posted Hide Post
I love my 516. Dead nuts reliable, suppresses well, virtually zero recoil, and shoots as well as one could possibly expect a 10" carbine to shoot.

If I had to pick a single AR, it would be my Sig.

Posts: 2167 | Location: Underway | Registered: March 17, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Tuesday was gone when I told her my name is the breeze.
posted Hide Post
thanks guys,thats what i needed

Posts: 1796 | Location:  | Registered: November 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Middle children
of history
Picture of Brett B
posted Hide Post
I know you already have your answer but my Sig 516 has been a great rifle. I bought it many years ago for a steal when a vendor was clearing out extra inventory. I have 4 local friends who also bought them at the same time and every one has been rock solid. It has always functioned perfectly for me with a wide variety of ammo and it has good accuracy using the Federal Champion 55 grain bulk pack from Walmart. I think it's a great first AR since it is easier to keep clean and is less lube sensitive than a direct impingement AR. The adjustable gas regulator is an excellent feature for firing suppressed.

The downsides already mentioned are weight and a proprietary rail, so it has a few limitations on aftermarket options compared to a standard DI AR15. For a first AR15 I would buy one and shoot the heck out of it as-is to learn the fundamentals.

-------------------------
SCAR forend upgrades:
www.regosys.com
www.instagram.com/regosystems/

Posts: 2597 | Location: Midwest | Registered: September 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of rugman1
posted Hide Post
I have 4 of them, 7in,10,and two 16in.

Most underrated rifle out there.

Shoots great in all conditions,ammo flavors. It really is my 'go to' and 'do all' AR.

Posts: 967 | Location: VA | Registered: August 18, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Darith
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by tuumunz:
guys,is the sig 516 a good ar for a a starter first time ar.
I can get one fairly cheap for my son

Thanks for advice,as i have not followed the ar sig market that much.

Dad of the year award. I wish my dad got me a 516!

SIG 516 | Leupold VX-II 3-9x40mm LR BDC Reticle on Bobro QD Scope Mount | Dueck Defense RTS | Primary Arms Micro Dot on Gear Sector Offset Rail Mount | RainierArms Raptor Charging Handle | Magpul STR Black | Geissele 2-stage G2S Trigger, AAC SDN-6, Fab Defense Mako Folding Pistol Grip, Mako Foregrip Bipod + Insight HX120 | Magpul AFG2, Phase 5 EBRv2, Knights Armament Trigger Guard
VEPR 12 | TSS G2 Trigger Group | CSS GK-01 | Molot Modified Choke | Bonesteel AR Folder w/ Magpul STR, Primary Arms Micro Red Dot | Custom Stippled Handguard
SKS Norinco 56 Series w/ Prism Bayonet
Heckler & Koch P30S Variation 3 w/ New Light Firing Pin Block Spring from HKParts.net
+more

Posts: 343 | Registered: July 21, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
No Compromise
posted Hide Post
I've got the 7.5. If you go 7.5, keep in mind she likes the heavier, stouter, boo-lits. Just sayin' yo.

It is a heavy platform, as has been stated. But the trade off is you only need to wave a mild dust rag over the gun for a brief moment to clean it. So there's that.

Everything considered, a suppressor ready, piston driven, AR is hard to beat as a first AR.

H&K-Guy

Posts: 3720 | Registered: April 08, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post