SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  Mason's Rifle Room    WCA Sig 551 value

Closed Topic Closed
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools
WCA Sig 551 value Login/Join 
posted
How much is one of the West Coast Armory Sig 551’s worth? There were 250 made from Sig parts a number of years ago and sold for $3750 then.

Thanks,

Jim

Posts: 208 | Registered: December 03, 2006Report This Post
Get on the fifty!
Picture of Andyb
posted Hide Post
I'd say less now that Sig came out with the 551a1 and the recent JDI imports. The WCA's came out when all Sig would offer us was the 556 and everybody wanted a 551. For that kinda coin I'd just pick up a JDI. Just my opinion though.

"Pickin' stones and pullin' teats is a hard way to make a living. But, sure as God's got sandals, it beats fightin' dudes with treasure trails."

"We've been tricked, we've been backstabbed, and we've been quite possibly, bamboozled."

Posts: 3600 | Location: OK | Registered: November 07, 2008Report This Post
Go ahead punk, make my day
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Andyb:
I'd say less now that Sig came out with the 551a1 and the recent JDI imports. The WCA's came out when all Sig would offer us was the 556 and everybody wanted a 551. For that kinda coin I'd just pick up a JDI. Just my opinion though.

This in spades.

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Andyb:

Agreed. The WCA guns are simply 556 barreled uppers mated to Swiss lowers and furniture with serial number done to match that of the Swiss parts kit. With the availability of Swiss 553 and 551 pistols, the WCA 551s have really lost much of their collectibility.

If you can stomach the risk, you can put it up on Gunbroker as a penny start, no reserve 14 - 21 day auction. That seems to garner the highest sales price.

---------------------------------------------
"AND YEA THOUGH THE HINDUS SPEAK OF KARMA, I IMPLORE YOU...GIVE HER A BREAK, LORD". - Clark W. Griswald

Posts: 2321 | Location: The South | Registered: September 12, 2005Report This Post
Picture of PGT
posted Hide Post
Believe it not, a WCA sold earlier this year for well over $4K despite JDI options being out there. One sold last year for over $5k. That said, I bought one from the Classifieds here for much less (second one I've bought, both well below MSRP).

Posts: 3089 | Registered: December 21, 2014Report This Post
Picture of kimberkid
posted Hide Post
Depends if you're a buyer or seller.

As a seller, unless I really didn't like it, I'd just keep it.

As a buyer, depending on condition $800 - $1000, a bit of a premium for the Swiss lower.

I gave almost $2000 for a Gen1 556 with S/N under 100 ... In 2007(?) I was stunned & very excited when SiG introduced them and didn't think it would last ... Initially, like most everyone else I tried to dress it up like a 55X but since then I've put the fish gill furniture back on and it's in the safe but gets out once in a while.

If you really want something you'll find a way ...
... if you don't you'll find an excuse.

I'm really not a "kid" anymore ... but I haven't grown up yet either Wink

Posts: 5707 | Registered: January 11, 2007Report This Post
Picture of PGT
posted Hide Post
a pinned semi four position lower and Swiss stock will hit $2k on GB so given that's what's on the WCA 551, anything less than that means its a steal.

Picture of kimberkid
posted Hide Post
That's better than I thought ... but I haven't been pricing them for quite a while.

Wasn't the WCA551 price about $4000?

If you really want something you'll find a way ...
... if you don't you'll find an excuse.

I'm really not a "kid" anymore ... but I haven't grown up yet either Wink

Posts: 5707 | Registered: January 11, 2007Report This Post
Picture of PGT
posted Hide Post
Correct. No way I'd pay over $2500ish these days for the reasons listed above (buy a full Swiss gun from JDI).

Picture of GroundedCLK
posted Hide Post
Two things:

1. Do not ask then post it for sale, that does not go well.

2. One of the obscure dealers in NH or VT, I gun shop on vacation had one for like $1900 a few months ago. I would of bought it but bought a Colt SP-1 and Colt 9MM AR early that day.

Posts: 1843 | Location: New Hampshire | Registered: January 12, 2005Report This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by PGT:
Believe it not, a WCA sold earlier this year for well over $4K despite JDI options being out there. One sold last year for over $5k. That said, I bought one from the Classifieds here for much less (second one I've bought, both well below MSRP).

That’s insane. Must be cases of uninformed buyers. Or just good examples of successful auctioneering with a penny start NR auctions and the right people causing a bidding war.

quote:
Originally posted by PGT:
a pinned semi four position lower and Swiss stock will hit $2k on GB so given that's what's on the WCA 551, anything less than that means its a steal.

Not lately. There are multiple lowers sitting stagnant on GB. Part of that is likely poor auction strategy, i.e. starting bid too high.

"AND YEA THOUGH THE HINDUS SPEAK OF KARMA, I IMPLORE YOU...GIVE HER A BREAK, LORD". - Clark W. Griswald

Posts: 2321 | Location: The South | Registered: September 12, 2005Report This Post
Picture of PGT
posted Hide Post
About four months back. And, yes, you can't post at that price...have to do a penny start to get high returns on GB. Psychology of auctions are a funny thing.

posted Hide Post
Psychology of auctions is fascinating. I peruse GB just to look at that sometimes. Recently there was a HK SP5k that was a penny start NR auction and Hamner price was over $4k. And yet there were several SP5K auctions with $2400-$2600 starting prices, no reserve, and not a single bidder.

Picture of PGT
posted Hide Post
Indeed. I had a P7M8 with Nill logo grips hit 3300 while others sat

posted Hide Post
Wow the GB no reserve penny start strikes again. Over $500 for a stock that can be purchased for $250 from jdi

https://www.gunbroker.com/item/783492168