SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  Mason's Rifle Room    Quality .22 bolt guns - what are my options?
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Quality .22 bolt guns - what are my options? Login/Join 
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by SigSentry:
Anyone know the best twist rate to get to 150yrds the best?

The standard twist rate for match-grade 22lr barrels is 1:16. A slightly faster twist rate may be fine for bullets heavier than 40 grains, but it doesn't seem to help the standard 40 grain match bullet.

Barrel quality and chamber dimensions have a much greater effect on accuracy.

As for best accuracy at a given distance, there's substantial trial and error testing that occurs to figure that out. For a particular rifle this will involve various brands of ammo. Furthermore, accuracy will vary between manufacturing lots for a given brand & type of ammo.

Posts: 7852 | Location: Colorado | Registered: January 26, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Chris Anchor
posted Hide Post
I have a Marlin 882L in 22WMR that kills whistle pigs with head shots all day long. Got one in 22LR that will do some very nice groups also. Cheaper rifle but they shoot. Chris

Posts: 1832 | Location: Cecil Co. Maryland | Registered: January 08, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Raptorman
Picture of Mars_Attacks
posted Hide Post
Here's my CZ with the NV mounted.

Eeewwww, don't touch it!
Here, poke at it with this stick.

Posts: 34081 | Location: North, GA | Registered: October 09, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Let's be careful
out there
posted Hide Post
I have a CZ 455 in .22WMR. It is undoubtedly the best shooting, and best looking, rimfire rifle I have ever owned.

Posts: 7333 | Location: NW OHIO | Registered: May 29, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I have been investigating the same thing. I am going with an Anschutz 54 action rifle. Take a look at them you will not be disappointed.

Posts: 1246 | Location: Northern Nevada | Registered: December 22, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by SigSentry:
Anyone know the best twist rate to get to 150yrds the best? I would assume each rifle will have a favorite ammo. Bolt 22s could be habit forming and you have start collecting 452 mags when you are young. Wink

The 77/22 says 1:14" RH

The CZ is 1:15. This is because of how they use tbe millimeters and not inches:

http://www.gunblast.com/Paco_CZ452.htm

Only accurate rifles are interesting...
http://www.smallarmsreview.com....cfm?idarticles=2332
My understanding is that the vast majority of 22LR are 1:16 twist. My Volquartsen std(based on a Ruger 10/22), my two CZs and my Anschutz are all 1:16.

But if you want, Volquartsen does make a 1:9 twist for the 10/22 and 60gm 22LR works best in that. I personally wouldn't bother with one though.

Posts: 875 | Location: South Dakota | Registered: May 21, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Twistedstang
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by IndianaBoy:
CZ 455 would be my recommendation.

My 452 is built like a centerfire rifle.

By all accounts the 455 is just as accurate. They are available threaded from the factory.

Absolutely the best choice at this price point. I was a die hard Anschutz snob until I shot a friends CZ. Very pleasantly surprised by the gun.

Posts: 108 | Location: Port Huron MI | Registered: March 17, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of xl_target
posted Hide Post
Another option is Ruger's newly released Ruger American Rimfire Standard Stainless (threaded) model.

http://www.ruger-firearms.com/...specSheets/8351.html

Posts: 2322 | Registered: January 15, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
SigSentry...gorgeous rifle. I vote CZ.

"They keep telling me Jesus walked on water, well he should have surfed." -Ben Harper

Posts: 67 | Location: Staunton, VA | Registered: February 16, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Another option that might be worth consideration is the new Steyr Scout RFR:

http://steyrarms.com/scout-rfr.html

Not a true bolt action but similar. Steyr rifles typically are exceptionally accurate. I have an RFR on the way, I'll report on how it performs as soon as I get it and have a chance to wring it out. Owning a few other Scout rifles it seemed like an obvious thing for me to have to try. :-)

Remember, this is all supposed to be for fun...................

Posts: 4123 | Registered: April 06, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
A CZ would my only choice in that price range. The Rugers never impressed me accuracy wise.

Posts: 934 | Location: WV | Registered: May 30, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post