SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  Mason's Rifle Room    Quality .22 bolt guns - what are my options?
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Quality .22 bolt guns - what are my options? Login/Join 
Ride the lightning
Picture of Killer Instincts
posted
We shoot a lot of gophers out the window at the ranch, as they are a damn nuisance in addition to being an excellent way to practice for elk season. I'm not really in tune with the modern .22 rifle market. My dad and I have always primarily bought and shot vintage Winchesters and Remingtons for our .22 needs. However, I want one I can suppress, and I don't want to alter a classic rifle to do so.

I did consider the 10/22 option, but would prefer a bolt gun for ammo conservation and overall quality of suppression. A detachable magazine is a must, as is excellent accuracy with good quality ammo - shots will be taken to 150+ meters, though most will be around 50. Scope mounting options are also essential - another reason to avoid a nice vintage rifle, as much as I'd prefer to use one.

So far I've kind of keyed in on the Ruger M77/22, which appears to take the 10/22 magazine - am I wrong in thinking that? It would certainly be a plus. I'd love to have a Cooper Jackson Squirrel Rifle or the like, but I'm keeping the budget at $500 tops for the rifle by itself.

Any suggestions, advice, or firsthand experiences would be appreciated!

Posts: 2167 | Location: Underway | Registered: March 17, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I recently got a 77/22, It can use the 10/22 magazines but the 77/22 magazines are very slightly different, they will both work.

I put a Leupold vx-2 2-7x28 rimfire scope on mine and used the rings Ruger sent with the gun, I had to do a lot of clean up work on the rings before I was happy with their fit to the scope.

Ive only really shot mine out to 75yds but Its plenty accurate for my uses (small game hunting). The trigger is a bit heavy but Ill fix that down the road. All in all Im very glad I chose a 77/22.

The only other option that interested me for the $$$ was the CZ455 but in the end I went with the ruger because I think their magazine system is far superior to the CZ single stack mags.

Posts: 5082 | Location: Alaska | Registered: June 12, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of xl_target
posted Hide Post
Take look at the Ruger American Rimfire Rifle.
They come in a few different configurations.
I have a Ruger American Rimfire Target that comes with a heavy barrel and a laminate stock. It is threaded for a silencer. It also uses 10/22 magazines and come with a Picatinny rail for scope mounting.
It is a very accurate rifle (right out of the box) but significantly heavier than the basic synthetic stocked RAR rifle.

I believe that they are quite a bit cheaper than the 77/22. One of the issues with the 77/22 is that accuracy could be hit or miss.

Out to 50 yards with decent ammo (like Wolf MT), it will give you one hole five shot clusters. Beyond that, it depends on the wind. Typical of .22LR even a slight wind opens up the groups.

If you want to shoot something as small as a Gopher out to 150 meters, you're better off with a .22 Mag, .17 HMR or.204

Posts: 2322 | Registered: January 15, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Mistake Not...
Picture of Loswsmith
posted Hide Post
I have a Ruger 10/22 and a rimfire American. Same stock (more or less) same mags, both threaded. Not as pricey as 77/22 but then not as nice either but good for me. I plan on getting another .22 bolt/semi pair by Ruger (one set for each son to have).

Mistake not my current state of joshing gentle peevishness for the awesome and terrible majesty of the towering seas of ire that are themselves the milquetoast shallows fringing my vast oceans of wrath.

Velocitas Incursio Vis - Gandhi

Posts: 1947 | Location: T-town in the 253 | Registered: January 16, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
a 77/22 will certainly be acceptable. But $500 will be tough on that.
My favorite and recommendation at the moment is the CZ 455. excellent in every way and caliber convertible as well.

“So in war, the way is to avoid what is strong, and strike at what is weak.”

Posts: 10966 | Registered: October 14, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of JPD217
posted Hide Post
I would recommend taking a look at the Savage Mark II FV SR.

Posts: 2585 | Location: North Dakota | Registered: August 17, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Sigless in
Indiana
Picture of IndianaBoy
posted Hide Post
CZ 455 would be my recommendation.

My 452 is built like a centerfire rifle.

By all accounts the 455 is just as accurate. They are available threaded from the factory.

Posts: 14114 | Location: Indiana | Registered: December 04, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Raptorman
Picture of Mars_Attacks
posted Hide Post
I have both a Ruger 77/22 and the CZ.

They are both superior rifles with grownup actions.

The only advantage the Ruger has over the CZ is mag capacity and the CZ has a better scope mounting option. The CZ also has better factory barrel options.

You can't go wrong with either and both are glass smooth.

Eeewwww, don't touch it!
Here, poke at it with this stick.

Posts: 34081 | Location: North, GA | Registered: October 09, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by xl_target:
I have a Ruger American Rimfire Target that comes with a heavy barrel and a laminate stock. It is threaded for a silencer. It also uses 10/22 magazines and come with a Picatinny rail for scope mounting.
It is a very accurate rifle (right out of the box) but significantly heavier than the basic synthetic stocked RAR rifle.

I believe that they are quite a bit cheaper than the 77/22. One of the issues with the 77/22 is that accuracy could be hit or miss.

Out to 50 yards with decent ammo (like Wolf MT), it will give you one hole five shot clusters. Beyond that, it depends on the wind. Typical of .22LR even a slight wind opens up the groups.

If you want to shoot something as small as a Gopher out to 150 meters, you're better off with a .22 Mag, .17 HMR or.204

xl_target,

Very nice looking rig.
Would you mind listing the specs?

I'm beginning the process of figuring out specs for a pair (RAR & 10-22) of Ruger .22lr rifles for a similar purpose.

Thanks,
tp

Posts: 908 | Location: TX | Registered: February 09, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ride the lightning
posted Hide Post
Thank you, gentlemen.

I think I will look further into the 77/22 and the CZ. I realize 150 m is a stretch with a .22, but I routinely make those shots with our current "out-the-living-room-window" bolt gun, a threaded Winchester 47 single shot mounted with a Leupold fixed 4x and a Silencerco Sparrow SS. We do have suppressed .223s and such that we use as well - nearest neighbors are ~ 2 miles downrange, so we use Barnes Varmint Grenades to prevent bullet travel, but it's not a huge issue. However, I always find myself reaching for the .22 rather than a centerfire. Just looking to upgrade to a repeater.

Thanks again guys, very helpful input.

Posts: 2167 | Location: Underway | Registered: March 17, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
It took me awhile but eventually I found my 77/22 for 525.00 shipped. ITs a basic blued synthetic model but its exactly what I was looking for.

Posts: 5082 | Location: Alaska | Registered: June 12, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ride the lightning
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by newmexican:
It took me awhile but eventually I found my 77/22 for 525.00 shipped. ITs a basic blued synthetic model but its exactly what I was looking for.

Quite reasonable. I'm eyeing one of the 24" stainless barrel target guns... I think my budget just magically went up by a couple hundred bucks.

Picture of xl_target
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by g4tx:
quote:
Originally posted by xl_target:

xl_target,

Very nice looking rig.
Would you mind listing the specs?

I'm beginning the process of figuring out specs for a pair (RAR & 10-22) of Ruger .22lr rifles for a similar purpose.

Thanks,
tp

One of the main reasons that I wanted this rifle is because it uses the Ruger 10/22 mag.
I think that Ruger's BX1 is one of the most reliable magazines out there. I also have about 10 of them on hand already.

When I was younger, I spent a lot of time squirrel hunting and came to appreciate the flush mag of the 10/22. The balance point is just in front of the trigger guard and that is where I carried the rifle in the woods. I can't abide a magazine that sticks out at that point.
I know that is not the in thing today but none of my hunting rifles have a mag that protrudes from the stock.

I paid $395 for the rifle.
The scope is a Scheel's 4X12X32 side focus scope.
The Bipod is a Harris Bipod. I generally don't run the bipod on the rifle unless I'm at the range.

Another big thing in this rifle's favor are the metal bedding blocks (which free-float the barrel) that allow you to torque up the bedding screws to the same torque every time. The Laminate stock is solid but heavy. The barrel is a solid .860 chunk of metal.
The trigger is light, crisp and is adjustable. This is one rifle that I did not feel the need to do anything to, except add the optic.

These are 5 shot groups at 50 yards. This was when I first got the rifle. As I have put more rounds through it, it seems to have become a little more accurate. I don't have photos of more recent groups but they are tighter now than they were then.

Link to the relevant page on the Ruger website: http://www.ruger-firearms.com/...reTarget/models.html

Posts: 2322 | Registered: January 15, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Killer Instincts:
quote:
Originally posted by newmexican:

Quite reasonable. I'm eyeing one of the 24" stainless barrel target guns... I think my budget just magically went up by a couple hundred bucks.

When I was looking, there were actually lots of target models available, I'm not a target shooter though so I just wanted a hunting model. People on gunbroker were gouging people for the synthetic stainless models so I just kept looking.

I was lucky because my friends have both the 77/22 and the 455 so I was able to try both, while the CZ is a great gun and a great value I just couldn't get onboard with the way the 10rd magazine hangs out the bottom. Not only is it unsightly (especially on such an otherwise nice looking gun) I could also see it just snagging on my down jacket while out hunting in the winter.

Go ahead punk, make my day
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by IndianaBoy:
CZ 455 would be my recommendation.

My 452 is built like a centerfire rifle.

By all accounts the 455 is just as accurate. They are available threaded from the factory.
This.

I have both a 452 and 455. The quality and accuracy is the same IME.

They are available with a threaded barrel from the factory and OEM replacement barrels for different contours / calibers (17/22 mag) are other options.

Posts: 45798 | Registered: July 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I've played around with a number of the Ruger 10, 77, 96 and American Rifle options. I stick with them because the magazines are so good and there is so much aftermarket support. The Ruger American Rifle gives you the best bang for the buck. Surprisingly accurate, quality trigger right out of the box. My favorite (and not much louder) would be a Tactical Solutions, Volquartsen or Kidd 10/22-based option. The Kidd triggers are exceptional. The accuracy with the Volquartsens (particularly fluted heavy barrel) is incredible.

Posts: 693 | Registered: March 08, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I have both a 77/22 and a 455, for me the accuracy of the 455 is far better than the ruger. I was very disappointed in the ruger's accuracy, and I have tried a lot of different types of ammo with it.
Barry

Posts: 62 | Registered: November 07, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Drill Here, Drill Now
Picture of tatortodd
posted Hide Post
I have a ~10 year old CZ 452 in .22 LR that is accurate and reliable.

Given the OP's 150 yd requirement, I would go for a CZ 455 varmint in .17 HMR.

Ego is the anesthesia that deadens the pain of stupidity

DISCLAIMER: These are the author's own personal views and do not represent the views of the author's employer.

Posts: 23098 | Location: Northern Suburbs of Houston | Registered: November 14, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ride the lightning
posted Hide Post
After hitting the local shops and handling the American, several CZs, a Browning T-bolt, and several 77/22s (among others), I think I've settled on the 77/22. I have no doubt that the CZs are accurate but I, like others here, do not like the magazine. The American definitely fits my needs, but just doesn't speak to me.

Sticking with .22 LR in the interest of ammunition commonality across the board. It has served me well so far on ground squirrels up to some pretty ridiculous ranges. Longest confirmed rimfire kill so far is just under 230 m.

Of all the 77/22s, I think I need one of those stainless target models... won't be carried much, and the extra velocity combined with the muzzle being further from the shooter's ear (and further out the window) makes the long barrel a no-brainer.

Picture of SigSentry
posted Hide Post
Anyone know the best twist rate to get to 150yrds the best? I would assume each rifle will have a favorite ammo. Bolt 22s could be habit forming and you have start collecting 452 mags when you are young. Wink

The 77/22 says 1:14" RH

The CZ is 1:15. This is because of how they use tbe millimeters and not inches:

http://www.gunblast.com/Paco_CZ452.htm

Only accurate rifles are interesting...
http://www.smallarmsreview.com....cfm?idarticles=2332

Posts: 3484 | Registered: May 30, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post