SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  Mason's Rifle Room    I think I scored a good deal on a Ruger M77
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

I think I scored a good deal on a Ruger M77 Login/Join 
Wait, what?
Picture of gearhounds
posted
Perusing a local pawn shop, and wasn’t really looking for anything in particular when I spied a camo stocked M77 on the rack. .223 in overall good shape, a little dirty, but bore is good and sporting a sound Nikon Prostaff 3X9X40 BDC scope.

The guy behind the counter tells me they are having a Labor Day weekend sale, and with the discount, would be $350. Wasn’t a very difficult choice Big Grin

I’ve been on the fence on picking up a .223 bolt gun, and it seemed like a good opportunity. This one was made in 2006, by the serial number. I will post a few pics once I get it cleaned up.

ETA- pics and light cleaning done- not perfect, but should be functional.

upload img

This message has been edited. Last edited by: gearhounds,

“Remember to get vaccinated or a vaccinated person might get sick from a virus they got vaccinated against because you’re not vaccinated.” - author unknown

Posts: 15502 | Location: Martinsburg WV | Registered: April 02, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Not Today
Picture of badcopnodonut!!
posted Hide Post
Nice score! Looking forward to pics.

Hi,I'm Buck Melonoma,Moley Russels' wart.

Posts: 2926 | Location: sunflower state | Registered: January 31, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Raptorman
Picture of Mars_Attacks
posted Hide Post
That would be a fantastic coyote killer.

Eeewwww, don't touch it!
Here, poke at it with this stick.

Posts: 34084 | Location: North, GA | Registered: October 09, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
We gonna get some
oojima in this house!
Picture of smithnsig
posted Hide Post
I have always liked the Nikons for a less expensive scope. Nice pickup.

-----------------------------------------------------------
TCB all the time...

Posts: 6501 | Location: Cantonment/Perdido Key, Florida | Registered: September 28, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Blackmore
posted Hide Post
Go peruse the Ruger boards. You stole it. If there's any problem, Ruger will get it sorted.

In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act

Posts: 3435 | Location: W. Central NH | Registered: October 05, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Age Quod Agis
Picture of ArtieS
posted Hide Post
Great price. My shooting buddy has the stainless version of that. It likes 69 grain bullets and will put three of them into a quarter at 100.

His has a 1/9 twist barrel so it will handle the heavier loads.

Really nice gun, congratulations.

"I vowed to myself to fight against evil more completely and more wholeheartedly than I ever did before. . . . That’s the only way to pay back part of that vast debt, to live up to and try to fulfill that tremendous obligation."

Alfred Hornik, Sunday, December 2, 1945 to his family, on his continuing duty to others for surviving WW II.

Posts: 12748 | Location: Central Florida | Registered: November 02, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Wait, what?
Picture of gearhounds
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ArtieS:
Great price. My shooting buddy has the stainless version of that. It likes 69 grain bullets and will put three of them into a quarter at 100.

His has a 1/9 twist barrel so it will handle the heavier loads.

Really nice gun, congratulations.

From what I’ve been able to find, this one has the older 1/12 twist; it is supposed to shoot up to 55 grain boolits accurately. I’ll find out soon enough Big Grin

“Remember to get vaccinated or a vaccinated person might get sick from a virus they got vaccinated against because you’re not vaccinated.” - author unknown

Posts: 15502 | Location: Martinsburg WV | Registered: April 02, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by gearhounds:
From what I’ve been able to find, this one has the older 1/12 twist; it is supposed to shoot up to 55 grain boolits accurately.

The barrel's twist rate is fast enough to stabilize 55 grainers, and maybe those up to 62 grains.

Accuracy depends a lot on the bullet itself. The vast majority of FMJ bullets are not accurate, therefore the best barrel in the world won't do much to produce tight groups.

If you buy commercial ammo, accurate options include:
- Hornady 55 Vmax -- also 40 and 60 grain Vmax
- Black Hills loads with Vmax bullets
- HSM loads with Vmax bullets
- HSM loads with lighter Berger bullets
- Black Hills 52 HP match
- ADI / Aussie Outback 55 Sierra Blitzking
Some barrels like Hornady's Superformance 53 grain Vmax ammo. Mine don't.

Handloading opens up more options. There are very few hollow point match bullets at this weight class, however there are more plastic/ballistic tip bullets available.

Posts: 7853 | Location: Colorado | Registered: January 26, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Wait, what?
Picture of gearhounds
posted Hide Post
^^^^
Thanks, I may invest in a set of .223/5.56 dies to keep the cost of shooting down. I like Black Hills ammo too.