SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  Mason's Rifle Room    What's the secret to running... re: cleaning
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

What's the secret to running... re: cleaning Login/Join 
Admin/Odd Duck

Picture of lbj
posted
What is the secret to running a small cloth patch through the barrel of an AR15.

I have the hardest time.

There is iron in my words of death for all to see.
So there is iron in my words of life.

Posts: 31422 | Registered: February 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Unmanned Writer
Picture of LS1 GTO
posted Hide Post
Bore snake. Wink

Also, my patches are about 1" square.

Life moves pretty fast. If you don't stop and look around once in a while, you could miss it.

"If dogs don't go to Heaven, I want to go where they go" Will Rogers

Posts: 14034 | Location: It was Lat: 33.xxxx Lon: 44.xxxx now it's CA :( | Registered: March 22, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Freethinker
Picture of sigfreund
posted Hide Post
A Brownells 1 1/4 inch round patch (#2, 084-268-002) on a KleenBore .22/.243 jag for a relatively tight fit, but not excessively. The same patch is an easy fit if used with a slotted patch puller.

The thickness of the patch material obviously makes a difference. Brownells patches are just right for me—not too thin and flimsy, not too thick.

6.4/93.6

“Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something.”
— Plato

Posts: 47396 | Location: 10,150 Feet Above Sea Level in Colorado | Registered: April 04, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Wreckless
posted Hide Post
If the patch is too big just trim them with scissors. Easy fix.

La Dolce Vita

Posts: 543 | Location: SW Florida & SNJ | Registered: July 26, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Prepared for the Worst, Providing the Best
Picture of 92fstech
posted Hide Post
quote:
Bore snake

I actually have the hardest time getting bore snakes started on anything .22 caliber. The bore is just barely larger than the string, and friction tends to prevent the end from making it all the way through the barrel. It usually takes playing with it for 5 minutes or so to get the capped end of the string to come out of the muzzle.

Posts: 8534 | Location: In the Cornfields | Registered: May 25, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Admin/Odd Duck

Picture of lbj
posted Hide Post
It's so frustrating.

Green Mountain Boy
Picture of Jus228
posted Hide Post
Tip the rifle muzzle down and jiggle the bore snake with the brass end in the chamber and it'll go down the barrel pretty easily. Been using bore snakes for a long time mostly on .22 cal rifles.

!~God Bless the U.S. Military~!

If the world didn't suck, we'd all fall off

Light travels faster than sound, this is why some people appear bright until you hear them speak

Posts: 5563 | Location: Vermont | Registered: March 02, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 92fstech:
quote:
Bore snake

I actually have the hardest time getting bore snakes started on anything .22 caliber. The bore is just barely larger than the string, and friction tends to prevent the end from making it all the way through the barrel. It usually takes playing with it for 5 minutes or so to get the capped end of the string to come out of the muzzle.

Yup. Even holding the barrel vertical it's hard to get the snake down all the way. I use the wooden end of a q-tip to encourage the snake to move downward.

Posts: 15907 | Location: Eastern Iowa | Registered: May 21, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Age Quod Agis
Picture of ArtieS
posted Hide Post
^^^^Just give it a quick shot from an air compressor. Moves the brass end through right quick.

"I vowed to myself to fight against evil more completely and more wholeheartedly than I ever did before. . . . That’s the only way to pay back part of that vast debt, to live up to and try to fulfill that tremendous obligation."

Alfred Hornik, Sunday, December 2, 1945 to his family, on his continuing duty to others for surviving WW II.

Posts: 12766 | Location: Central Florida | Registered: November 02, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Proper sized jag, proper sized rod, proper sized patch and it's not an issue.

With square patches you can adjust the bore tension a bit by where you pierce the patch. Try near a corner at first until the bore is wet with cleaner or lube and then move towards the middle to make it tighter.........dj

Remember, this is all supposed to be for fun...................

Posts: 4123 | Registered: April 06, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
To all of you who are serving or have served our country, Thank You
Picture of Jelly
posted Hide Post
I just use Proshot 17 - 22 patches they are 3/4" x 3/4" I just using them to get bore solvent in the bore. To tight of patch just pushes most of the bore solvent out before it can have a little time to work.

Posts: 2679 | Registered: March 15, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I go from the breech to the muzzle, usually with a snake. With the snake I drop it in from the back of the receiver not the ejection port, it goes easier.

With a rod I do the same.

The only time I've had issue is with the Otis patches.

Posts: 4579 | Location: Where ever Uncle Sam Sends Me | Registered: March 05, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of SIGfourme
posted Hide Post
I use a Dewey Cleaning rod. I cut 30 cal patches into quarters--send quarter of a patch thru on tip of jag. Have to use the right patch size and thickness. Then I run a bore snake. I change out the bore snakes whenever they are on sale--I don't even want to think about a broken bore snake in the barrel.

Posts: 2299 | Location: Southeast CT | Registered: January 18, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
"The deals you miss don’t hurt you”-B.D. Raney Sr.
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by lbj:
It's so frustrating.

Nothing to add to the thread, really...I use a boresnake.
And...I don't know why, but I read this in Christopher Walken's voice....like his Lion speech from pool hall junkies...Smile

Posts: 6301 | Location: East Texas | Registered: February 20, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nullus Anxietas
Picture of ensigmatic
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by djpaintles:

This ^^^^^

Having a good cleaning rod can make a world of difference, too. Learned that long ago.

"America is at that awkward stage. It's too late to work within the system,,,, but too early to shoot the bastards." -- Claire Wolfe
"If we let things terrify us, life will not be worth living." -- Seneca the Younger, Roman Stoic philosopher

Posts: 26009 | Location: S.E. Michigan | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Admin/Odd Duck

Picture of lbj
posted Hide Post
I have all sorts of cleaning rods and attachments so I mixed and matched rods and accessories and Presto! I found a combination that works.

posted Hide Post
For rifles - I rarely use anything but a Boresnake anymore.

For handguns it's a mix.

-------------------------------

Proverbs 27:17 - As iron sharpens iron, so one man sharpens another.

Posts: 8940 | Location: Florida | Registered: September 20, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Prepared for the Worst, Providing the Best
Picture of 92fstech
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ArtieS:
^^^^Just give it a quick shot from an air compressor. Moves the brass end through right quick.

This is brilliant! I'm gonna try this. Thanks!

Posts: 8534 | Location: In the Cornfields | Registered: May 25, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Hop head
Picture of lyman
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by djpaintles:

With square patches you can adjust the bore tension a bit by where you pierce the patch. Try near a corner at first until the bore is wet with cleaner or lube and then move towards the middle to make it tighter.........dj

this,

and I used Dewey rods, and jags,
poke the corner of the USGI type square patch, not in the center,

or use a parker hale jag, wet just a bit to make it stick

https://www.chesterfieldarmament.com/

Posts: 10417 | Location: Beach VA,not VA Beach | Registered: July 17, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Age Quod Agis
Picture of ArtieS
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 92fstech:
quote:
Originally posted by ArtieS:

This is brilliant! I'm gonna try this. Thanks!

I lay the rifle on the bench, push/toss (in the mini 14) the brass tip into the chamber, leave the string loose and give it a shot of air right into the chamber. Pushes the brass end and the string right out. Then pull through normally.

I ran a boresnake through my Mini-14 six times in about two minutes after the range on Sunday.

The barrel is sparkling clean.

"I vowed to myself to fight against evil more completely and more wholeheartedly than I ever did before. . . . That’s the only way to pay back part of that vast debt, to live up to and try to fulfill that tremendous obligation."

Alfred Hornik, Sunday, December 2, 1945 to his family, on his continuing duty to others for surviving WW II.

Posts: 12766 | Location: Central Florida | Registered: November 02, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post