SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  Mason's Rifle Room    Build ?
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Build ? Login/Join 
posted
For those with experience, on an 11.5 upper would you run a front sight base, moe slim guards, etc or a free float 12" rail. Cost is about the same.

If a sight base, does anyone have a recommendation for a good clamp on FSB besides the JP model?

A Perpetual Disappointment...

Posts: 1273 | Registered: August 05, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Alea iacta est
Picture of exx1976
posted Hide Post
I would use the free-float handguard with BUIS and then some type of optic like a EOTECH or similar red dot.

I also wouldn't get a handguard that's longer than the barrel unless you plan to slip a suppressor under it. So for an 11.5" barrel, look for a 10 or 11" handguard.

Every time you make a typo, the errorists win.

Posts: 15375 | Location: Location, Location  | Registered: April 09, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Go ahead punk, make my day
Picture of RHINOWSO
posted Hide Post
For ease of changing muzzle devices / adding a suppressor, I'd ensure the rail is at least 1", if not 1.5-2" shorter than the barrel. Conservative yes, but with all the various options out there you don't want to have to change the rail if you end up adding a new brake or suppressor that interferes with the rail.

I chose freefloat rail typically, but if you really want a FSB go for it. I ended up disliking my upper with the FSB as it blocks your distance vision below your POA to varying degrees (at 1x).

read what you want
watch what you want
play what you want
think what you want
say what you want

Posts: 34242 | Location: Around | Registered: July 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Red dots look like a bunch of grapes to me, so I'll probably stick to irons for the time being. I mostly run low power variable scopes if I run optics. Seems kinda pointless on a pistol upper.

A Perpetual Disappointment...

Posts: 1273 | Registered: August 05, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Rustpot
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by wolfe 21:
Red dots look like a bunch of grapes to me, so I'll probably stick to irons for the time being. I mostly run low power variable scopes if I run optics. Seems kinda pointless on a pistol upper.

Mini ACOG. Love them for compact guns. Mine would have stayed on my pistol if not for the front sight tower being in the way.

With irons only I'd go for a fixed front sight tower with Magpul SL and the DD A1.5 fixed rear. Simple, rugged sight.

Posts: 5300 | Location: Rochester Hills, MI | Registered: January 03, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
If you choose the free float option, I wouldn't get a 12" rail on a 11.5" barrel unless you run a noveske nx3 or something similar

Posts: 128 | Location: DFW | Registered: January 04, 2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post
My hypocrisy goes only so far
Picture of GrumpyBiker
posted Hide Post
This is one of my 10.5" barreled .300blk pistols.
Daniel Defense fixed sights.
You can also swap the front sight post with aftermarket a high visibility post.

If you're wanting the "look" of a railed over suppressor, an 11.5" barrel w/ a 12" free float rail works great with one of the Flash Can muzzle devices, given their length.
Given its length it will protrude well beyond the end of the rail.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: GrumpyBiker,

U.S.M.C.
VFW-8045
III

"He's a Mean Motor Scooter & a Bad Go Getter !"

Posts: 5254 | Location: Central,Ohio | Registered: December 28, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post