SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  Mason's Rifle Room    Storing AR Mags
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Storing AR Mags Login/Join 
posted
Is there a generally agreed best way to store AR mags? I have tried a 50 cal can, but they don't fit well standing or laying down. Most Pmags & Lancers. I'm keeping GI mags in SAW pouches, but I'm already running out of space for those.

A Perpetual Disappointment...

Posts: 2731 | Location: BFE, Ohio | Registered: August 05, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I don't have any of these, and I'm surely not affiliated with them but I have been looking at these for some time.

Mag storage solutions. Looks like a neat way to store magazines. They make them for AR 15, AK 47/74, AR 10/G3/ FN/FAL.

http://magstoragesolutions.com...images21/pic2800.jpg

Posts: 3146 | Registered: May 19, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
That rug really tied
the room together.
Picture of bubbatime
posted Hide Post
You can store 19 mags per MTM can. I LOVE these and have several.

https://www.amazon.com/MTM-Tac...-TMC15/dp/B00HVDFSQ0

Posts: 6660 | Location: Floriduh | Registered: October 16, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Cardboard boxes. The ones that hold 10 boxes of shotgun shells (500 2-3/4" 12-gauge shells) work well.

Posts: 7852 | Location: Colorado | Registered: January 26, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Now Serving 7.62
Picture of 10X-Shooter
posted Hide Post
I have over 60 mags (I know, I'm slacking) and I found a cool little pack made by Blackhawk. It holds about 10 or so mags. I forget the name of it but pretty sure you can find it with a little Google fu.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: 10X-Shooter,

Posts: 6005 | Location: TN | Registered: February 12, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I use the large SAW ammo cans. You can fit thirty G.I. magazines in one. Arranged upright in four rows of seven with two against the back. Twenty five Pmags will also fit if you are creative. Lay seven in the bottom with the feed lips in alternate directions. Seven more on top and a row of seven standing across the back. Then four on their sides top of the ones resting on their spines. You can fit twenty six if you split the ones standing in the back into two rows and rotate 90 degrees. Next I am going to see how many will fit in a 40mm can.

Posts: 1755 | Location: El Paso, Texas | Registered: January 05, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
40mm holds a boatload of mags.
I think ten across lying flat, I'll look later and let you know I have a full one.

Posts: 286 | Location: midwest | Registered: May 29, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Go ahead punk, make my day
posted Hide Post
Steralite 18qt clear storage boxes. You can fit 30 x 30rd in two stacked rows of 15, and on the side space remaining 10 x 20 standing up, or I suppose you could fit another 4 30s if you wanted to instead.

Not as tactical looking but they stack easily and you can get 6 for <$40. All my gun stuff / magazines is in Steralite or Plano storage boxes (Plano makes better parts bins, Steralite better mass storage solutions).

Posts: 45798 | Registered: July 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Good sources for SAW or 40mm cans? I would hate to spend double the price of the can to ship it. You are talking about the 17x6.5x10.5" cans? Doesnt seem that much bigger to me, but....
I do have an older model can of indeterminate make. Larger by far, lift off lid with 6 hinged latches (2 on each side, 1 each end) that even has a cardboard liner. It is currently storing ammo. Possibly 20mm?

Posts: 2731 | Location: BFE, Ohio | Registered: August 05, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Freethinker
Picture of sigfreund
posted Hide Post
My unloaded magazines are kept in cardboard boxes on shelves. Minimum space, minimum weight, minimum cost.

6.4/93.6

“Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something.”
— Plato

Posts: 47365 | Location: 10,150 Feet Above Sea Level in Colorado | Registered: April 04, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by bubbatime:

Are you taking out the foam? Amazon ad only says 15 capacity, why I ask.

posted Hide Post
quote:

Curse you bubbatime, you made me spend money this morning. They should arrive Tuesday.

Posts: 3398 | Location: Texas | Registered: June 20, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
For empty mags I like boot boxes, I can fit a bunch in a Bellville A390 box.

For loaded mags an ammo can. Preferable 7.62 or .50 cal or plastic. They fit on shelves decently.

Posts: 4547 | Location: Where ever Uncle Sam Sends Me | Registered: March 05, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Music's over turn
out the lights
Picture of David W
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sigfreund:
My unloaded magazines are kept in cardboard boxes on shelves. Minimum space, minimum weight, minimum cost.

I have lots that have only seen the light of day to insure all were accounted for in the box then taped back up and stored. Usually the box they come in for exactly the number you ordered.

David W.

Rather fail with honor than succeed by fraud. -Sophocles

Posts: 3636 | Location: Winston Salem, N.C. | Registered: May 30, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Telecom Ronin
Picture of dewhorse
posted Hide Post
Big plastic tote, normally in the clear wrap PSA sends them in, loaded go in a .50 cal can......you can fir 17 in one can.

Then I keep 4-6 6 mag GI bandoliers in different places, you can get them cheap from surplus stores.

Posts: 8301 | Location: Back in NE TX ....to stay | Registered: February 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Persian
Picture of PPGMD
posted Hide Post
quote:

Those are huge wastes of space, I can cram at least twice as many magazines in those cans. We are talking about magazines that wear items, disposable, and cost less than $15 each. They don't need to be coddled.

-------
A turbo: Exhaust gasses go into the turbocharger and spin it, witchcraft happens, and you go faster.

Mr. Doom and Gloom
"King in the north!"
"Slow is smooth... and also slow.

Posts: 20052 | Location: At the wall | Registered: February 13, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by PPGMD:Those are huge wastes of space, I can cram at least twice as many magazines in those cans. We are talking about magazines that wear items, disposable, and cost less than $15 each. They don't need to be coddled.

Agreed. You can easily fit 4 rows of 7 in an MTM or Plano plastic box. The dividers might make sense for organizing pistol mags (especially more expensive ones) for a trip to the range, but are a no-go for general AR mag storage, in my opinion.

Posts: 8944 | Location: The Red part of Minnesota | Registered: October 06, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by PPGMD:
Those are huge wastes of space, I can cram at least twice as many magazines in those cans. We are talking about magazines that wear items, disposable, and cost less than $15 each. They don't need to be coddled.

I got the TMC308 model, for my AR-10b (T); the magazines are more expensive, but they are not wear items and since I don't shoot it often, this way all the mags I got for it will not get lost or misplaced.

Also, I've been using MTM products for my ammo for decades, these stupid boxes last a very long time.

Posts: 3398 | Location: Texas | Registered: June 20, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Persian
Picture of PPGMD
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by NikonUser:
I got the TMC308 model, for my AR-10b (T); the magazines are more expensive, but they are not wear items and since I don't shoot it often, this way all the mags I got for it will not get lost or misplaced.

Also, I've been using MTM products for my ammo for decades, these stupid boxes last a very long time.

All magazines are wear items. Heck the entire gun is a wear item, there aren't too many parts on a gun that have an indefinite life.

The only mags I baby are mags that I can't replace easily, like my P220-1 9mm magazines.

MTM does make good products I have a number of their ammo boxes. Though these days I am mostly buying Dillon boxes, as I can get a case of 50 for the same price as 10 MTM boxes.

-------
A turbo: Exhaust gasses go into the turbocharger and spin it, witchcraft happens, and you go faster.

Mr. Doom and Gloom
"King in the north!"
"Slow is smooth... and also slow.

Posts: 20052 | Location: At the wall | Registered: February 13, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Alea iacta est
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by fritz:
Cardboard boxes. The ones that hold 10 boxes of shotgun shells (500 2-3/4" 12-gauge shells) work well.

Where are you buying 50-round boxes of shotgun shells? All the cases around here are 10 boxes of 25 (250 2-3/4" 12-gauge)... Frown

OP - I store my AR mags in 50 cal cans. Not the best fit, so I fill in the space with loose ammo. That way I can reload them if need be! Smile

Posts: 15665 | Location: Location, Location  | Registered: April 09, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post