SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  Mason's Rifle Room    Storing AR Mags
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Storing AR Mags Login/Join 
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by PPGMD:

All magazines are wear items. Heck the entire gun is a wear item, there aren't too many parts on a gun that have an indefinite life.

The only mags I baby are mags that I can't replace easily, like my P220-1 9mm magazines.

MTM does make good products I have a number of their ammo boxes. Though these days I am mostly buying Dillon boxes, as I can get a case of 50 for the same price as 10 MTM boxes.

Nah, not really. As I decried last week on another thread, Armalite has dropped the AR-10b model and they no longer make or sell mags for it. I already had a bunch and bought some more from Brownells who had the 25-rounder on sale. These mags are virtually indestructible unless you really try, with tools. The boxes I bought will also store the various spare parts and replacement parts that I have for my AR-10b in one nice convenient package.

Posts: 3398 | Location: Texas | Registered: June 20, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by exx1976:
Where are you buying 50-round boxes of shotgun shells? All the cases around here are 10 boxes of 25 (250 2-3/4" 12-gauge)...

Brain fart -- I meant to type 10 boxes of 25 shells, aka a "flat" of shells. I've consumed enough flats of 12 gauge shells over the years that I have a bunch of the boxes.

Posts: 7853 | Location: Colorado | Registered: January 26, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
How are you guys getting 17 mags in a 50 cal can? I can maybe get 10 if I still wanna close the lid.

A Perpetual Disappointment...

Posts: 2731 | Location: BFE, Ohio | Registered: August 05, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Doin' what I can
with what I got
Picture of Rob Decker
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by NikonUser:
quote:
Originally posted by PPGMD:

All magazines are wear items. Heck the entire gun is a wear item, there aren't too many parts on a gun that have an indefinite life.

The only mags I baby are mags that I can't replace easily, like my P220-1 9mm magazines.

MTM does make good products I have a number of their ammo boxes. Though these days I am mostly buying Dillon boxes, as I can get a case of 50 for the same price as 10 MTM boxes.

Nah, not really. As I decried last week on another thread, Armalite has dropped the AR-10b model and they no longer make or sell mags for it. I already had a bunch and bought some more from Brownells who had the 25-rounder on sale. These mags are virtually indestructible unless you really try, with tools. The boxes I bought will also store the various spare parts and replacement parts that I have for my AR-10b in one nice convenient package.

If you're cursed with living in a ban state, you'll treat those wear items like they're made of solid gold.

----------------------------------------
Death smiles at us all. Be sure you smile back.

Posts: 5540 | Location: Greater Nashville, TN | Registered: May 11, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Persian
Picture of PPGMD
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by wolfe 21:
How are you guys getting 17 mags in a 50 cal can? I can maybe get 10 if I still wanna close the lid.

I get 12 Pmags with ranger plates, and another 3-4 shorter mags inside USGI 50cal cans.

-------
A turbo: Exhaust gasses go into the turbocharger and spin it, witchcraft happens, and you go faster.

Mr. Doom and Gloom
"King in the north!"
"Slow is smooth... and also slow.

Posts: 20052 | Location: At the wall | Registered: February 13, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gracie Allen is my
personal savior!
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by RHINOWSO:
Steralite 18qt clear storage boxes.

I should've thought this through one step further. I've been digging the 15 QT boxes, but I'll have to take a look at the 18s.

Posts: 27291 | Location: Deep in the heart of the brush country, and closing on that #&*%!?! roadrunner. Really. | Registered: February 05, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Avoiding
slam fires
Picture of 45 Cal
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by wolfe 21:

I have no problem,it can be a puzzler but doable,mine are loaded and heavy as hell for an old guy.
I also have a cardboard box with forty left in it in the wrappers from a purchase on here last year.
You can't have enough mags Wink

Posts: 22407 | Location: Georgia | Registered: February 19, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
The MTM boxes for my AR10 mags came in and this model is excellent. Now my precious AR10B mags are securely stored and there was room to also store my boxes of spare parts. This worked out great.

Posts: 3398 | Location: Texas | Registered: June 20, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Snackologist
Picture of BigJoe
posted Hide Post
You might be surprised to know that the Ziplock freezer bags work well in some situations.

...You, higher mammal. Can you read?
....There's nothing sexier than a well worn, functional Sig!

Posts: 14005 | Location: WV | Registered: January 17, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Why stop at Ziploc bags, go straight to paper bags.

Hey! I like stuff
posted Hide Post
I really like the Midway bags - https://www.midwayusa.com/prod...-ar-15-magazine-case

They stack nicely, they will AK 47/74 mags among others. They are kinda spendy, but they do go on sale.

Posts: 2756 | Location: Sterling, VA | Registered: July 14, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
is circumspective
Picture of vinnybass
posted Hide Post
I get 14 in a .50cal ammo can by alternating them. That also leaves room for a couple of twentys.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: vinnybass,

"We're all travelers in this world. From the sweet grass to the packing house. Birth 'til death. We travel between the eternities."

Posts: 5473 | Location: Las Vegas, NV. | Registered: May 30, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Currently have them in a Carolina boot box and the box from my last Brownells order. Condensed them all into 2 boxes and will stack/store easily. Mine are not loaded.

A Perpetual Disappointment...

Posts: 2731 | Location: BFE, Ohio | Registered: August 05, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Expert308
posted Hide Post
I get 28 mags (mixture of GI and Lancer) in a SAW, AKA "Fat 50", can. They're harder to find and a little more expensive than the regular .50 cal cans, but they're tall enough to stand a 30rd mag upright.

Posts: 7244 | Location: Idaho | Registered: February 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I like to store them loaded in the cheapest LAPG bug out bag, or whatever they call them. They are around $20. I have about 8 of those bags loaded up. Unloaded mags i keep in their original wrappers in the boxes they shipped in.

Posts: 5405 | Registered: April 08, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post