SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  Mason's Rifle Room    Super Budget Optics & bipod for a AR?
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools
Reply
  
Super Budget Optics & bipod for a AR? Login/Join 
Member
Picture of myrottiety
posted
I've got a 18" PSA AR I want to finish up. On a tight budget. Purpose: Hitting a steel plate at 300-500 yards a few times a year. Just for fun.

Things I need are:
1) Griffin Taper Mount $80
2) Budget Bipod (Maybe a Harris 6-9) $69 at Optics Planet
3) Budget Optics

So for optics I was eyeballing Primary Arms 4-16X44mm Riflescope - Illuminated Mil Dot Scope

I've got one on my a tacsol x-ring and it's held zero well. Only needed to adjust for elevation when shooting farther.

They are out of stock. Any other suggestions in the $200 range. Yes I know you get what you pay for. Just tell me what you got.

Also any suggestions on a good deal for a bipod running around out there?




Train how you intend to Fight

Remember - Training is not sparring. Sparring is not fighting. Fighting is not combat.
 
Posts: 7193 | Location: Alpharetta, GA | Registered: August 04, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Member
posted Hide Post
Harris is about as budget as I would go. You can usually find a basic model for 40-50 bucks. When youre ready to upgrade in a few year it will still be worth 40-50 bucks. You'll likely spend the same buying 2 crappy bipods in the same amount of time when they break.


________________________________
 
Posts: 6441 | Location: One step ahead of you | Registered: February 10, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Member
posted Hide Post
As for an optic, the Athlon scopes seem quite popular with the budget minded crowd.
https://ads.midwayusa.com/prod...M22TvIPWcaApIt8P8HAQ


________________________________
 
Posts: 6441 | Location: One step ahead of you | Registered: February 10, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Go ahead punk, make my day
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by WARPIG602:
Harris is about as budget as I would go. You can usually find a basic model for 40-50 bucks. When youre ready to upgrade in a few year it will still be worth 40-50 bucks. You'll likely spend the same buying 2 crappy bipods in the same amount of time when they break.
This.




I'm Rick James.
 
Posts: 35522 | Location: Around | Registered: July 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Go ahead punk, make my day
posted Hide Post
For a budget optic look at the Nikon AR223 lineup, it's in he $200-300 range. Not a traditional Mildot scope but with Spot On my FIL hits plates out to 400+




I'm Rick James.
 
Posts: 35522 | Location: Around | Registered: July 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Member
Picture of dusty3030
posted Hide Post
 
Posts: 2972 | Location: Memphis, mf'n, TN | Registered: August 13, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Member
Picture of myrottiety
posted Hide Post
quote:
https://www.midwayusa.com/prod...0mm-side-focus-matte


Looks like a lot of scope for the money. This might be a contender. Anyone else?




Train how you intend to Fight

Remember - Training is not sparring. Sparring is not fighting. Fighting is not combat.
 
Posts: 7193 | Location: Alpharetta, GA | Registered: August 04, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Member
posted Hide Post
I know this isn't what you asked but my advice is to save for a few months and buy a more quality optic.

Doesn't have to be $1,000 but in the $200-$500 range you would find way more quality than getting something cheap made in China in the $75-$100 range that you are just going to want to get rid of in a couple months.

-------------------------------


Proverbs 27:17 - As iron sharpens iron, so one man sharpens another.
 
Posts: 5807 | Location: Eastern NC | Registered: September 20, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Member
Picture of myrottiety
posted Hide Post
I've heard good things about Vortex obviously.

Anyone have a opinion on this scope?
Vortex Crossfire II 6-18x44 AO Rifle Scope

For $219 seems like a decent option.




Train how you intend to Fight

Remember - Training is not sparring. Sparring is not fighting. Fighting is not combat.
 
Posts: 7193 | Location: Alpharetta, GA | Registered: August 04, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Member
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by myrottiety:
I've heard good things about Vortex obviously.

Anyone have a opinion on this scope?
Vortex Crossfire II 6-18x44 AO Rifle Scope

For $219 seems like a decent option.


I would touch a Crossifire if you paid me.Ive seen better glass on Walmart Tasco scopes. Id go with the Nikon if choosing from the list above. Bushnell makes some ok higher end glass but their budget stuff is lacking. At least with Nikons lower lines you can always count on good glass quality for the price.


________________________________
 
Posts: 6441 | Location: One step ahead of you | Registered: February 10, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Member
Picture of myrottiety
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by WARPIG602:
quote:
Originally posted by myrottiety:
I've heard good things about Vortex obviously.

Anyone have a opinion on this scope?
Vortex Crossfire II 6-18x44 AO Rifle Scope

For $219 seems like a decent option.


I would touch a Crossifire if you paid me.Ive seen better glass on Walmart Tasco scopes. Id go with the Nikon if choosing from the list above. Bushnell makes some ok higher end glass but their budget stuff is lacking. At least with Nikons lower lines you can always count on good glass quality for the price.


Are the Diamondback quality any better than the crossfire? I just don't know anything about their scopes out side the razor I looked through at an event. The Diamondback 4-12x40 is getting pretty good reviews online. $199 delivered on Amazon.

Anyone handled any of the Sig Whiskey3 scopes?




Train how you intend to Fight

Remember - Training is not sparring. Sparring is not fighting. Fighting is not combat.
 
Posts: 7193 | Location: Alpharetta, GA | Registered: August 04, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Member
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by myrottiety:
quote:
Originally posted by WARPIG602:
quote:
Originally posted by myrottiety:
I've heard good things about Vortex obviously.

Anyone have a opinion on this scope?
Vortex Crossfire II 6-18x44 AO Rifle Scope

For $219 seems like a decent option.


I would touch a Crossifire if you paid me.Ive seen better glass on Walmart Tasco scopes. Id go with the Nikon if choosing from the list above. Bushnell makes some ok higher end glass but their budget stuff is lacking. At least with Nikons lower lines you can always count on good glass quality for the price.


Are the Diamondback quality any better than the crossfire? I just don't know anything about their scopes out side the razor I looked through at an event. The Diamondback 4-12x40 is getting pretty good reviews online. $199 delivered on Amazon.

Anyone handled any of the Sig Whiskey3 scopes?


I havent been impressed by any Vortex glass, for the price, until the PST line and higher. Could just be me but Ive found better glass at the same price point.


________________________________
 
Posts: 6441 | Location: One step ahead of you | Registered: February 10, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Member
Picture of myrottiety
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by WARPIG602:
quote:
Originally posted by myrottiety:
quote:
Originally posted by WARPIG602:
quote:
Originally posted by myrottiety:
I've heard good things about Vortex obviously.

Anyone have a opinion on this scope?
Vortex Crossfire II 6-18x44 AO Rifle Scope

For $219 seems like a decent option.


I would touch a Crossifire if you paid me.Ive seen better glass on Walmart Tasco scopes. Id go with the Nikon if choosing from the list above. Bushnell makes some ok higher end glass but their budget stuff is lacking. At least with Nikons lower lines you can always count on good glass quality for the price.


Are the Diamondback quality any better than the crossfire? I just don't know anything about their scopes out side the razor I looked through at an event. The Diamondback 4-12x40 is getting pretty good reviews online. $199 delivered on Amazon.

Anyone handled any of the Sig Whiskey3 scopes?


I havent been impressed by any Vortex glass, for the price, until the PST line and higher. Could just be me but Ive found better glass at the same price point.


I think my problem is the only optic I own & look through regularly is a Primary Arms Optic. So I'm not exactly the discerning customer that fritz, Nikon and a bunch of other guys are.




Train how you intend to Fight

Remember - Training is not sparring. Sparring is not fighting. Fighting is not combat.
 
Posts: 7193 | Location: Alpharetta, GA | Registered: August 04, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Not really from Vienna
Picture of arfmel
posted Hide Post
If I was going to recommend a scope in the $200 and under category, I'd look for a used Leupold VX 1 or 2. It won't have mildots or doohickies or fancy glass but at least it will be a reliable, durable, lifetime guaranteed, US made product.




 
Posts: 20387 | Location: Young American Teen Club | Registered: January 30, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Member
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by myrottiety:
quote:
Originally posted by WARPIG602:
quote:
Originally posted by myrottiety:
quote:
Originally posted by WARPIG602:
quote:
Originally posted by myrottiety:
I've heard good things about Vortex obviously.

Anyone have a opinion on this scope?
Vortex Crossfire II 6-18x44 AO Rifle Scope

For $219 seems like a decent option.


I would touch a Crossifire if you paid me.Ive seen better glass on Walmart Tasco scopes. Id go with the Nikon if choosing from the list above. Bushnell makes some ok higher end glass but their budget stuff is lacking. At least with Nikons lower lines you can always count on good glass quality for the price.


Are the Diamondback quality any better than the crossfire? I just don't know anything about their scopes out side the razor I looked through at an event. The Diamondback 4-12x40 is getting pretty good reviews online. $199 delivered on Amazon.

Anyone handled any of the Sig Whiskey3 scopes?


I havent been impressed by any Vortex glass, for the price, until the PST line and higher. Could just be me but Ive found better glass at the same price point.


I think my problem is the only optic I own & look through regularly is a Primary Arms Optic. So I'm not exactly the discerning customer that fritz, Nikon and a bunch of other guys are.


Neither am I , but I do have a minimum standard, even in the budget realm. I suppose you could get one and if you arent happy you could smash it and ask for a new one. Vortex does have a good track record of taking care of issues that arise with little hassle.


________________________________
 
Posts: 6441 | Location: One step ahead of you | Registered: February 10, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Member
Picture of alteon180e
posted Hide Post
if your willing to go used. i have a nikon p223 4-12x (8473) /w nikon m223 mount and a harris HBR 6-9 that i have no current use for.

id go nikon prostaff or the burris fullfield e1 series. i consider both to be good glass for the price. the japanese made weaver stuff too...but at some point there its heading towards $400+ range. so for ~$200 the first two options i consider good at tracking/sighting at the ranges you are looking to do.

all the PA stuff ive looked through (limited sample) had fairly tight exit pupil, seemed smaller than stated on paper. personal preference, but i prefer a bit more forgiveness in eye relief/exit pupil.
 
Posts: 590 | Location: FL | Registered: November 17, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Member
posted Hide Post
I bought an Athlon scope and for the money is seems very good to me.
Here is a link below.

http://www.opticsplanet.com/at...8W-RS-AR62450-214061

Jsjac
 
Posts: 264 | Location: NH | Registered: March 29, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
A teetotaling
beer aficionado
Picture of NavyGuy
posted Hide Post
Here's a good deal on a Redfield Refurb

Link



Men fight for liberty and win it with hard knocks. Their children, brought up easy, let it slip away again, poor fools. And their grandchildren are once more slaves.

-D.H. Lawrence
 
Posts: 8804 | Location: Fort Worth, Texas | Registered: February 07, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Smarter than the
average bear
posted Hide Post
I have bought a few Vortex scopes on sale at Cabelas to have as spares. I haven't mounted or used them yet, but I have looked through them and they are bright and clear. 4.9 out of 5 stars, with 324 reviews at Cabelas. I wouldn't be afraid to buy one:

http://www.cabelas.com/product...uctVariantId=3900018

The 3-12 is $189 and the 4-16 is $219. Cabelas has free shipping right now, and always free shipping to a store
 
Posts: 2148 | Location: Baton Rouge, Louisiana | Registered: June 20, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
My hypocrisy goes only so far
Picture of GrumpyBiker
posted Hide Post
I have a Nikon Prostaff on my RockRiver Predator.
I like it but I've been happily impressed with Nikons bang for the buck.










U.S.M.C.
VFW-8045
III

"He's a Mean Motor Scooter & a Bad Go Getter !"



 
Posts: 5396 | Location: Central,Ohio | Registered: December 28, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
  Powered by Social Strata  
 

SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  Mason's Rifle Room    Super Budget Optics & bipod for a AR?

© SIGforum 2017