SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  Mason's Rifle Room    Sig MCX Pistol w/brace or SBR
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Sig MCX Pistol w/brace or SBR Login/Join 
posted
OK
I am looking at the Sig MCX Rattler PCB or SBR in 300 blk
I have several stamps already so understand one advantage to the pistol is no wait.
As its a pistol I can take it on trips with my CPL to reciprocal states but can I do this if its a SBR? (in Michigan we can register anything under 26 in as a pistol)
Even though its an SBR I can register it as a pistol in Michigan due to our regulations and CPL it here like the PCB.

What are the pros and cons with both options?

Posts: 298 | Registered: December 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
You need the ATF to ok travel with an SBR if that is your question. Not a big deal but a requirement. There are other issues in terms of carry but that depends on the states involved.

“So in war, the way is to avoid what is strong, and strike at what is weak.”

Posts: 10966 | Registered: October 14, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by hrcjon:
You need the ATF to ok travel with an SBR if that is your question. Not a big deal but a requirement. There are other issues in terms of carry but that depends on the states involved.

Thanks!
As much as I hate the brace I think its the easier way to go for my needs and wants... I think I will likely get both LOL

Posts: 298 | Registered: December 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
You could go with a factory SBR, but then pick up an AR pistol lower with MCX adapter and folding brace.

If you need to travel or conceal it, drop the upper on your AR pistol lower.

Or do the opposite, buy the pistol, then SBR an AR lower and get the MCX adapter and run it as needed.

The later is actually what I did with my MCX.

Posts: 3 | Registered: February 26, 2021Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of myrottiety
posted Hide Post
For what it's worth. I had plans to SBR my MPX. But I shot it so well with the brace I left it as a pistol.

Unless you need a traditional stock to shoot it better. I'd just leave it as a pistol.

Train how you intend to Fight

Remember - Training is not sparring. Sparring is not fighting. Fighting is not combat.

Posts: 8837 | Location: Woodstock, GA | Registered: August 04, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
My understanding is that if you have an SBR, if you reconfigure as a pistol with a brace, transport to most other states is a non issue. No need for the ATF - they are federal

Posts: 146 | Registered: August 31, 2016Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Music's over turn
out the lights
Picture of David W
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Challer:
My understanding is that if you have an SBR, if you reconfigure as a pistol with a brace, transport to most other states is a non issue. No need for the ATF - they are federal

It's not an NFA item unless it's in NFA configuration; ie: 11.5" upper on SBR lower equals NFA item / 16" upper on same SBR lower does not equal NFA item.

David W.

Rather fail with honor than succeed by fraud. -Sophocles

Posts: 3636 | Location: Winston Salem, N.C. | Registered: May 30, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post