SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  Mason's Rifle Room    My SIG 551-2 SP SWAT.
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

My SIG 551-2 SP SWAT. Login/Join 
Picture of MG34_Dan
posted
I got this rifle back in '13. It was my understanding that it came for the Louisiana Department of Wildlife and Fisheries. The cost was very reasonable because it was classified as a Dealer Sample. I put a barrel muzzle extension on it and notified BATF that it was no longer a Dealer Sample.

Interestingly it is chambered for .223 Remington not 5.56 NATO.

Here's my BATF paperwork and their response.

“Elections have consequences, and at the end of the day, I won.”
– Barack Hussein Obama, January 23, 2009

Posts: 2184 | Location: Austin Texas USA | Registered: February 03, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Go ahead punk, make my day
posted Hide Post
Sweet rifle!!!!

Posts: 45798 | Registered: July 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of inspcalahan
posted Hide Post
That is a thing of beauty! One of the best rifles made - congrats on ownership!

Posts: 819 | Location: Alaska | Registered: April 29, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Very nice. An educational question. I have no idea what dealer sample means in term of an SBR? it either is or isn't. And it obviously was at the time of sale. In terms of a full auto I understand the meaning. This presumably went from to a dealer (not sure if a gov't agency has to do a form 4 on that), form 3 if it moved dealer to dealer and then form 4 to you? In any case always trying to learn...

“So in war, the way is to avoid what is strong, and strike at what is weak.”

Posts: 10966 | Registered: October 14, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of PGT
posted Hide Post
nice! I have one of the LA guns as well. My barrel extension was raw stainless...had a trusted show shoot it with dark grey cerakote and then we oil buffed it with 0000 stainless steel wool to shine it up a bit. Looks like a factory finish now.

Posts: 3062 | Registered: December 21, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Get on the fifty!
Picture of Andyb
posted Hide Post
Wonderful. Glad to see these still out there.

"Pickin' stones and pullin' teats is a hard way to make a living. But, sure as God's got sandals, it beats fightin' dudes with treasure trails."

"We've been tricked, we've been backstabbed, and we've been quite possibly, bamboozled."

Posts: 3580 | Location: OK | Registered: November 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Lead slingin'
Parrot Head
Picture of Modern Day Savage
posted Hide Post
One of my "dream carbines"! Cool

One of the "slickest" mods to come down the pike in a lot of years was the MM barrel extension.

Although I knew that a process existed for converting Title II to Title I and NFRTR removal, I wasn't sure what, specifically, was involved.

So, you simply wrote a letter to the ATF, included a copy of the Form 3, stated the mod, and made the request? No ATF inspection? No inspector taking a measurement or otherwise verifying the configuration? No forms to fill out?

Posts: 7324 | Location: the Centennial state | Registered: August 21, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of MG34_Dan
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by hrcjon:
Very nice. An educational question. I have no idea what dealer sample means in term of an SBR? it either is or isn't. And it obviously was at the time of sale. In terms of a full auto I understand the meaning. This presumably went from to a dealer (not sure if a gov't agency has to do a form 4 on that), form 3 if it moved dealer to dealer and then form 4 to you? In any case always trying to learn...

I have my FFL and Class 3 SOT. I got this weapon on a tax free Form 3 as a Dealer Sample. Foreign made SBRs are considered Dealer Samples and not transferrable to the huddled masses. After the muzzle extension was permanently installed, the weapon's status went to a regular Title 1 weapon and then became sellable as any other rifle.

Now for the rest of the story - After the weapon became a Title 1 weapon, I sent it to a Class 2 manufacturer. He removed the muzzle extension and re-registered it to a fully transferrable SBR. He then transferred it back to me on a Form 3, tax free. A member of the huddled masses may now posses it via a tax paid Form 4. Ain't that interesting?

Posts: 2184 | Location: Austin Texas USA | Registered: February 03, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I bought one from Mike Otte when he was selling them with the extension back in 12' or 13'. Paid extra for a hand pick and some accessories. It's flawless. Did a Form 1 and removed the extension to get it back to it's original state. Definitely the pride of my fleet...

Posts: 435 | Location: Virginia | Registered: October 10, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Lead slingin'
Parrot Head
Picture of Modern Day Savage
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by MG34_Dan:
quote:
Originally posted by hrcjon:

I have my FFL and Class 3 SOT. I got this weapon on a tax free Form 3 as a Dealer Sample. Foreign made SBRs are considered Dealer Samples and not transferrable to the huddled masses. After the muzzle extension was permanently installed, the weapon's status went to a regular Title 1 weapon and then became sellable as any other rifle.

Now for the rest of the story - After the weapon became a Title 1 weapon, I sent it to a Class 2 manufacturer. He removed the muzzle extension and re-registered it to a fully transferrable SBR. He then transferred it back to me on a Form 3, tax free. A member of the huddled masses may now posses it via a tax paid Form 4. Ain't that interesting?

Ahhh, I feel like I just listened to Paul Harvey...and The Rest of the Story. Very cool!

Posts: 7324 | Location: the Centennial state | Registered: August 21, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Go ahead punk, make my day
posted Hide Post
quote:

Basically this.

Posts: 45798 | Registered: July 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of MG34_Dan
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by RHINOWSO:
quote:

Basically this.

Plus, it was imported during the '94-'04 Assault Weapon Ban too. But, since it was owned by a law enforcement agency, all of it's original sins have been forgiven. You gotta love Uncle Sugar's rules and regulations.