SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  Mason's Rifle Room    Which American Defense mount?
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Which American Defense mount? Login/Join 
Charmingly unsophisticated
Picture of AllenInAR
posted
So I settled on a scope for the AR (SWFA SS 1-4x) and I'm wondering which ADM mount I should be looking at, the AD-Recon or the AD-Recon-X.....which I assume stands for "extended".

Not quite sure what I'll need for proper eye relief.

Any input?

The artist formerly known as AllenInWV

Posts: 16188 | Location: Harrison, AR | Registered: February 05, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
quote:
SWFA SS 1-4x
Do I read the specs correctly? 3 to 5 inches of eye relief? 10" scope body. I'd use the Recon-X. I have a Vortex Strike Eagle in an ADM Recon-X mount, mounted on an AR, if that helps you

"I am your retribution." - Donald Trump, speech at CPAC, March 4, 2023

Posts: 107551 | Registered: January 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Go ahead punk, make my day
posted Hide Post
You can use either, I personally use a normal Recon (non-X) on ARs with NightForce 2.5-10x32, Trijicon 1-4x24 Accupower, and have used it with 1.5-4x20 Leupold scopes. But I have the mount all the way forward on the receiver and a flip down rear sight under the scope.

Posts: 45798 | Registered: July 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Standard Recon works fine with a Leupold 1.25-4 VX-R. Eyepiece sits right at the back of the charging handle and BUIS tucks underneath.

Posts: 8954 | Location: The Red part of Minnesota | Registered: October 06, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
quarter MOA visionary
Picture of smschulz
posted Hide Post
Yeah, standard Recon works fine with all mine and should for yours too.

Posts: 22899 | Location: Houston, TX | Registered: June 11, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Quiet observer
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the info Para. I just got the Primary Arms 1-6x and was about to ask for mount recommendations.

Semper Fidelis

Posts: 985 | Location: Pocatello, Idaho | Registered: March 10, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jjvgnslngr:
Thanks for the info Para. I just got the Primary Arms 1-6x and was about to ask for mount recommendations.

For what it's worth, I have a Primary Arms 1-6X ACSS scope and it is mounted with American Defense Recon. It's been a great combination.

ARman

Posts: 3151 | Registered: May 19, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of sgalczyn
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by parabellum:
quote:
SWFA SS 1-4x
Do I read the specs correctly? 3 to 5 inches of eye relief? 10" scope body. I'd use the Recon-X. I have a Vortex Strike Eagle in an ADM Recon-X mount, mounted on an AR, if that helps you

Para - could you post a pic of your setup?

"No matter where you go - there you are"

Posts: 4574 | Location: Eastern PA-Berks/Lehigh Valley | Registered: January 03, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Sigless in
Indiana
Picture of IndianaBoy
posted Hide Post
Recon-X.

I have my Vortex Razor in a Recon-X. Perfect eye relief.

I put my Steiner T5Xi in a Warne RAMP mount, I should have got the X-Skel. I like the RAMP, but I need more eye relief than I can get out of it.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: IndianaBoy,

Posts: 14122 | Location: Indiana | Registered: December 04, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gracie Allen is my
personal savior!
posted Hide Post
FWIW, go to the American Defense website, click on any mount that looks good to you, and scroll down. There should be a drawing (to identify dimensions) and a chart below it telling you what each dimension is for any given mount.

Posts: 27293 | Location: Deep in the heart of the brush country, and closing on that #&*%!?! roadrunner. Really. | Registered: February 05, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of AllenInAR
posted Hide Post
As posted elsewhere, here's the end result using the basic Recon.

I figure if I need more eye relief, I can just move the whole thing forward.

Posts: 16188 | Location: Harrison, AR | Registered: February 05, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of sgalczyn
posted Hide Post
Looks sweet Allen - post a report on performance when you can.

I'm in the market for a similar type - Strike Eagle/SWFA/Burrt RT-6 and respect real opinions

"No matter where you go - there you are"

Posts: 4574 | Location: Eastern PA-Berks/Lehigh Valley | Registered: January 03, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of AllenInAR
posted Hide Post
The scope is the 1-4x, not the 1-6xHD. I liked the reticle a lot and while there isn't a lot out there about it on the net, what there is said it was great for a <$500 optic. I'm no expert, but at 1x with both eyes open, I can't see any difference in color or distortion.

The one thing I DO notice is even at "10", the illuminated diamond is not as bright as say an Aimpoint. Hopefully this coming weekend I can try it out at the range and see if that will be a hindrance.