SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  Mason's Rifle Room    I Know Absolutely Nothing About AR Rifles.
Page 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

I Know Absolutely Nothing About AR Rifles. Login/Join 
Get Off My Lawn
Picture of oddball
posted Hide Post
If you are receiving a stripped lower, you will need other stuff to complete your lower, including a lower parts kit, a stock/ extension tube set-up, and a grip. IMO, lower parts kits are all the same. There are a wide assortment of collapsing stocks (I have Magpul MOEs), same with grips. If you want, you can upgrade the trigger from the standard USGI that comes with the parts kit to something like a Geissele ($$) or ALG ($). IMO, it's not that hard to put together a lower, I did it just fine on my first try. If you good with small parts, and tools, have good hand/eye coordination, and can follow directions (I used youtube videos), you're GTG.

You can purchase complete uppers with no need to build. For HD, I would go with a 14.5" carbine with a pinned flash. There are a whole plethora of handguards/rails out there, depends on budget. I would stick to 5.56/.223, IMO an excellent HD round with the right ammo.

A red dot, light, and sling would complete your HD rifle.

"I’m not going to read Time Magazine, I’m not going to read Newsweek, I’m not going to read any of these magazines; I mean, because they have too much to lose by printing the truth"- Bob Dylan, 1965

Posts: 16612 | Location: Texas | Registered: May 13, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
When I was researching ARs everybody told me to build one myself mostly because it is cheaper.
In the end I bought a complete Sig and I'm learning everything on it.
Already had it apart twice and realized it is a great learning platform without even mentioning that it also shoots great.
I believe that now I am ready to actually build one myself and I'm glad I didn't go the other way. Researching and being able to inspect each part gave me a much greater insight into AR world.

Posts: 25 | Location: Sunny Flats. | Registered: October 02, 2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post
אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post
A few of you have mentioned that I would need a lower parts kit.

One of our very generous forum members, having read this thread, emailed me asking for my address. He is send one of these kits. Thank you! I did not mention your name, as you did not state what you were doing when you posted in this thread, so I'm not sure whether you want this to remain anonymous, but you know that I really appreciate your generosity.

This place never ceases to amaze me.
Some of you have suggested buying a complete, already finished, upper. That sounds like a good idea, to my inexperienced self. I'm planning on attending the free Intro To AR-15 class at Florida Gun Exchange in a week and a half. They might be selling some complete uppers there.

Also, I live about five or ten minutes, depending on the status of the three traffic lights that I would encounter, from Spike's Tactical. It appears from their website that they are open to the public and do retail sales there, so I will stop in and at least have a conversation with them. The idea of being able to buy a complete upper, made in USA, with lifetime warranty, where I can just walk in if I have a problem, is pretty appealing.

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

Posts: 30544 | Location: Central Florida, Orlando area | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Look here, more info than you probably wanted but a good educational read none the less.

https://forum.officer.com/foru...-to-buy-an-ar-15-huh

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Super Shooter,

Posts: 1491 | Registered: December 03, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Plowing straight ahead come what may
Picture of Bisleyblackhawk
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by V-Tail:
A few of you have mentioned that I would need a lower parts kit.

One of our very generous forum members, having read this thread, emailed me asking for my address. He is send one of these kits. Thank you! I did not mention your name, as you did not state what you were doing when you posted in this thread, so I'm not sure whether you want this to remain anonymous, but you know that I really appreciate your generosity.

Some LPKs come without trigger groups...if the one receive doesn't have one...just shoot me an email with your address and I'll send a trigger group out your way Smile

"we've gotta roll with the punches, learn to play all of our hunches
Making the best of what ever comes our way
Forget that blind ambition and learn to trust your intuition
Plowing straight ahead come what may
And theres a cowboy in the jungle"
Jimmy Buffet

Posts: 10580 | Location: Southeast Tennessee...not far above my homestate Georgia | Registered: March 10, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of myrottiety
posted Hide Post
I echo what others have said. Shoot a few in different configurations. Then when you decide what you like/want. Build it out the way you want. Super easy with very minimal tools.

Train how you intend to Fight

Remember - Training is not sparring. Sparring is not fighting. Fighting is not combat.

Posts: 8837 | Location: Woodstock, GA | Registered: August 04, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Dances With
Tornados
posted Hide Post
Hey buddy, I hate to tell you this but you're screwed. Big Grin

It starts innocently. First you order just one part from Palmetto. They sell lots of AR parts and accessories.

Then another. Daily emails arrive. The bargains are amazing. Every.darn.day.

Next thing you know you've maxed out your credit card. Then the bank account is dwindling.

The only hope you have is don't give Palmetto your email address. Or use a one time only throw away email address you've created just for them.

I swear this is true, it happened to me and it can happen to you too.

Good luck.

Posts: 11812 | Registered: October 26, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by OKCGene:
I swear this is true, it happened to me and it can happen to you too.
Eek

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

Posts: 30544 | Location: Central Florida, Orlando area | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Music's over turn
out the lights
Picture of David W
posted Hide Post
I will echo what OKCGene said, I got my first AR about 5 years ago and have never looked back. They are SO much fun, I don't know what took me so long to get one. They are LEGOs for grown ups!

David W.

Rather fail with honor than succeed by fraud. -Sophocles

Posts: 3636 | Location: Winston Salem, N.C. | Registered: May 30, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of RichardC
posted Hide Post
quote:
[QUOTE]Originally posted by RichardC:

Beginner AR15 Maintenance & Modification Class

They will probably have AR stuff for sale at the time, else why would they offer a free class?

Well, yes. Complete rifles and parts and all kinds of other stuff. Including a good gunsmith.

Its a very nice LGS and worth the visit.

Posts: 15841 | Location: Florida | Registered: June 23, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bolt Thrower
Picture of Voshterkoff
posted Hide Post
Nobody has touched on ammo yet, but federal has a rebate on AR15 food through the end of the year.
https://www.federalpremium.com...E5.56and223promo.pdf

Here is one listing I saw on gun deals, anyone that finds a better deal please chime in.
https://gun.deals/product/fede...wcode-fs?mobile=true

Posts: 9947 | Location: Woodinville, WA | Registered: March 30, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I agree that assembling an AR15 is, at face value, a simple proposition. However there is some science/art involved in properly tuning it that requires detailed knowledge about how a DI AR operates. It would be easiest to buy a complete upper and mate it to your assembled lower.

Posts: 282 | Registered: March 18, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Given your stated goals I'd just buy as much as you need/can. like airplanes you can buy a factory built one or you can build one. You know the differences. Same in AR's.
If you want to build the lower that's not too complicated and your chances of success without too much study are good. Specific tools needed are few.
Building an upper is equally easy but takes a few more tools and experience. A play one ok maybe but a serious one. don't.
My vote. Buy a name brand high quality 5.56 upper, as much ammo to practice, and mags as you can stand (10min). Add an aimpoint and be done. Give today's market building an upper is not really a big saver.

“So in war, the way is to avoid what is strong, and strike at what is weak.”

Posts: 10966 | Registered: October 14, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
That rug really tied
the room together.
Picture of bubbatime
posted Hide Post
quote:
Where do I go from here?

Easy. You go right on down to your local gun store, and you buy one of the Ruger or Smith & Wesson AR15 rifles that sells for about $500-$550. You take the gun to the range, you shoot it, you learn how to clean it and take it apart, and then, after about a year of that, you formulate what to do with your lower. And then you buy the parts needed to build your lower into a gun that you have spec'd out, after playing with a entry level gun for a while. And then repeat the process, and before you know it, you have contracted black rifle disease and have a gun safe full of the damn things that you cant/wont get rid of.

Posts: 6660 | Location: Floriduh | Registered: October 16, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of cne32507
posted Hide Post
A good reason to start reloading .223! Stock up now!

Posts: 2520 | Location: High Sierra & Low Desert | Registered: February 03, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Delusions of Adequacy
Picture of zoom6zoom
posted Hide Post
that "pivot pin installation tool" she talks about in the video? Forget it. A 2" x 1/4" clevis pin from the hardware store works perfectly and costs maybe a buck.

I have my own style of humor. I call it Snarkasm.

Posts: 17944 | Location: Virginia | Registered: June 02, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Old Air Cavalryman
Picture of ARMT Guy
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by zoom6zoom:
that "pivot pin installation tool" she talks about in the video? Forget it. A 2" x 1/4" clevis pin from the hardware store works perfectly and costs maybe a buck.

That's a pretty slick tool, but I simply use a pair of needle nose pliers and a small flat tip screw driver to do the pivot pin, spring and detent install.

An old hammer spring works fine for removing the pivot pin.

"Also I heard the voice of the Lord saying who shall I send, and who will go for us? Then said I, here am I, send me."

Posts: 7464 | Location: Georgia | Registered: February 19, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post
The lower arrived today. I'll get it over to a local machine shop as soon as I can, and have Gary (machine shop guy) drill the pistol grip screw hole and insert a helicoil for the original size 1/4" 28-pitch machine screw.

Waiting for the parts kit. Some assembly required. These things do come with instructions, don't they? Smile

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

posted Hide Post
He's right about not giving PSA your email. I just impulse ordered a 8.5" .300 BLK upper to make into a pistol because it was $260 complete with BCG and M-Lok handguard.

I have a stripped lower, found a good deal on a Shockwave complete kit for under $70 (retail $90). Now I just need the LPK, waiting on Black Friday sales.

Anderson lowers are $29 ea. at Primary Arms I believe..if I didn't have enough AR's already, I'd order 3 more. It is a disease, once you have the lowers, you just order whatever strikes your fancy on the net and new guns appear in your safe.

Ultra light ones, precision ones, SBR ones, retro ones, pistol ones...

“People have to really suffer before they can risk doing what they love.” –Chuck Palahnuik

Be harder to kill: https://preparefit.ck.page

Posts: 5043 | Location: Oregon | Registered: October 02, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Oriental Redneck
Picture of 12131
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sigfreund:
For anyone who has no experience with AR-type rifles, I would make the same recommendation I would about any gun: start with simple and reliable.

+1 million.

Q

Posts: 26203 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: September 04, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post