SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  Mason's Rifle Room    I Know Absolutely Nothing About AR Rifles.
Page 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

I Know Absolutely Nothing About AR Rifles. Login/Join 
Sigless in
Indiana
Picture of IndianaBoy
posted Hide Post
You can complete a lower with nothing more than a pair of standard large size vice grips with the jaws wrapped in electrical tape.

I press in my roll pins, instead of driving them with a hammer. I also use some electrical tape to prevent from gouging the lower receiver.

You will maybe need a castle nut wrench if you get a standard 6 position stock. Aftermarket stocks can often be installed with a standard socket set and ratchet.

Posts: 14114 | Location: Indiana | Registered: December 04, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Sigless in
Indiana
Picture of IndianaBoy
posted Hide Post
This would be a good choice for a standard general purpose upper half:

http://palmettostatearmory.com...e-11-kmod-upper.html

Posts: 14114 | Location: Indiana | Registered: December 04, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by IndianaBoy:
This would be a good choice for a standard general purpose upper half:

http://palmettostatearmory.com...e-11-kmod-upper.html
I was poking around that website. In the interest of Keeping It Simple, what I would be looking for is the shortest legal non-NFA barrel, iron sights, with the ability to add a light and maybe a moderate cost red dot sight. I don't think I want anything fancier / more complicated than that, for the first AR.

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

Posts: 30544 | Location: Central Florida, Orlando area | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Sigless in
Indiana
Picture of IndianaBoy
posted Hide Post
This would fit the bill:

http://palmettostatearmory.com...cg-ch-516445358.html

Downside of a fixed front sight is they get in the way if you ever mount a magnified optic. They can be simply cut off and you retain the lower portion as a very sturdy pinned gas block at that point.

I think you can get a flashlight that mounts to the magpul handguards but I am not certain on that.

You could go shop for an Aimpoint PRO on black friday deals and not hassle with the iron sights. I am using a Vortex SparcAR and it is proving to be very rugged, time will tell on the battery life, I am still on my original battery.

Sigless in
Indiana
Picture of IndianaBoy
posted Hide Post
You could go with a pinned 14.7 or 14.5 barrel and get a shorter NFA legal package. IMHO that is splitting a pretty fine hair and it makes it more difficult to change out equipment at a later date if you choose to.

But there would certainly be nothing wrong with such a setup for your purposes. Palmetto doesn't currently have any complete uppers in stock with a 14.7 barrel.

Sigless in
Indiana
Picture of IndianaBoy
posted Hide Post
I have an AR pistol for HD that I like but I only use it as such because I own a suppressor.

I can't imagine pulling the trigger on that thing inside a house without the can in place.

The guy behind the guy
Picture of esdunbar
posted Hide Post
I'm a big fan of .300 blk, especially for home defense.

The only time I find 556 better than 300 blk is when you want to shoot 300 yards and beyond. I find that 300 blk is my round of choice for everything inside of that range.

Given that I rarely shoot beyond 300 yards...you see where I'm going here.

30 caliber bullet at 2,200 fps is a lot of "get off ma' lawn!"

Posts: 7548 | Registered: April 19, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
That rug really tied
the room together.
Picture of bubbatime
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by esdunbar:
I'm a big fan of .300 blk, especially for home defense.

The only time I find 556 better than 300 blk is when you want to shoot 300 yards and beyond. I find that 300 blk is my round of choice for everything inside of that range.

Given that I rarely shoot beyond 300 yards...you see where I'm going here.

30 caliber bullet at 2,200 fps is a lot of "get off ma' lawn!"

5.56 is ALWAYS the correct answer for a FIRST AR platform rifle.

Posts: 6660 | Location: Floriduh | Registered: October 16, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by V-Tail:

...iron sights...

If you're looking for something with an A2 handle those are REAL hard to find.

Posts: 15898 | Location: Eastern Iowa | Registered: May 21, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Sigmund:
quote:

...iron sights...
As I said, I have zero knowledge. When I saw your post I googled "A2 handle" and found this.

Is that what you're talking about?

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

Posts: 30544 | Location: Central Florida, Orlando area | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I wouldn't get a detachable A2 handle. It is bulky and if you add an optic down the road, it becomes useless. A back up rear iron sight can stay on if you add a scope later.

I was so glad when they stopped issuing the carry handles with my Army M4s, I didn't want to have to keep track of the stupid thing I never use.

“People have to really suffer before they can risk doing what they love.” –Chuck Palahnuik

Be harder to kill: https://preparefit.ck.page

Posts: 5043 | Location: Oregon | Registered: October 02, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Inject yourself!
posted Hide Post
^ yep.

I highly recommend this rear sight: Daniel Defense A1.5 to use with standard front sights. They also make a front sight to go with the 1.5 rear if you get an upper with no front sight.

I put irons on my AR-15’s even with an Aimpoint.

Do not send me to a heaven where there are no dogs.
Step Up or Stand Aside: Support the Troops !
Expectations are premeditated disappointments.

Posts: 8339 | Location: West | Registered: November 26, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by Sigmund:
quote:

...iron sights...
As I said, I have zero knowledge. When I saw your post I googled "A2 handle" and found this.

Is that what you're talking about?

I should have written FIXED A2 handle. Those are scarce. Like this:

https://www.bing.com/images/se...edIndex=0&ajaxhist=0

Posts: 15898 | Location: Eastern Iowa | Registered: May 21, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of P250UA5
posted Hide Post
My vote would go for a 16" mid-length pencil barrel with a set of Magpul MBUS (or equivalent)

Seems like there is a slightly noticeable lighter recoil as compared to my brother-in-law's carbine length DPMS.

I may have a few spare parts available depending on what/if you come up short anywhere in your build.

The Enemy's gate is down.

Posts: 15151 | Location: Spring, TX | Registered: July 11, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by P250UA5:
I may have a few spare parts available depending on what/if you come up short anywhere in your build.
I have no idea what I'll need, but if I do need anything, I will consider partial payment towards a BMW motorcycle. Wink

Current status: I have received the lower with the stripped hole for the pistol grip, from dwd1985. Preliminary assessment, bearing in mind that I am NOT a metalworker, indicates that I'll need a 17/64" drill bit to clean out the hole and prep it for a helicoil so that an original size 1/4" 28 pitch machine screw can be used, as AR intended, for the pistol grip.

Forum member Riley emailed me today, indicating that the lower parts kit that he is donating to the project should arrive at my box at The UPS Store in Apopka this coming Monday.

I did stop in at Spike's Tactical, a bit far for me to walk, but easy bicycle distance if I chose to travel that way, to inquire about upper assemblies. Their lowest cost entry level upper is in the neighborhood of six hundred bucks, plus 6.5% Florida sales tax, so I don't thing that's going to happen. Of course there's a lottery drawing tonight, so you never know. Wink

Several of you have mentioned Palmetto State Armory. I looked at the website and I see that their upper assemblies start around $250 and go up from there.

We'll take it one step at a time, and I'll continue to post here with progress reports, and the inevitable questions.

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

Age Quod Agis
Picture of ArtieS
posted Hide Post
I probably have a 17/64ths drill. I can bring it by next time I see you.

"I vowed to myself to fight against evil more completely and more wholeheartedly than I ever did before. . . . That’s the only way to pay back part of that vast debt, to live up to and try to fulfill that tremendous obligation."

Alfred Hornik, Sunday, December 2, 1945 to his family, on his continuing duty to others for surviving WW II.

Posts: 12743 | Location: Central Florida | Registered: November 02, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of vthoky
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by bubbatime:
Easy. You go right on down to your local gun store, and you buy one of the Ruger or Smith & Wesson AR15 rifles that sells for about $500-$550. You take the gun to the range, you shoot it, you learn how to clean it and take it apart, and then, after about a year of that, you formulate what to do with your lower. And then you buy the parts needed to build your lower into a gun that you have spec'd out, after playing with a entry level gun for a while.

I can't think of this as a bad idea. I was glad to get some experience with a complete rifle before deciding to [ask a knowledgeable friend to help me] build a lower on my own. Smile

God bless America.

Posts: 13425 | Location: The mountainous part of Hokie Nation! | Registered: July 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ArtieS:
I probably have a 17/64ths drill. I can bring it by next time I see you.
I'ma touch base with Amos tomorrow. He might be able to deal with the problem, but I'll keep you posted. Martin and I will be at the hangar tomorrow, maybe go to the range in the afternoon if we get the truck ready for the next store trip. There will probably be pizza involvement. Pipe Smoker posted in The Lounge, re the health benefits of mushrooms.

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

Age Quod Agis
Picture of ArtieS
posted Hide Post
Ok. I have to go to Eustis on Sunday to have the damned picture taken...

"I vowed to myself to fight against evil more completely and more wholeheartedly than I ever did before. . . . That’s the only way to pay back part of that vast debt, to live up to and try to fulfill that tremendous obligation."

Alfred Hornik, Sunday, December 2, 1945 to his family, on his continuing duty to others for surviving WW II.

Posts: 12743 | Location: Central Florida | Registered: November 02, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Inject yourself!
posted Hide Post
This may be an option. Brownells usually makes decent stuff, other members may know more. Brownells Upper

Do not send me to a heaven where there are no dogs.
Step Up or Stand Aside: Support the Troops !
Expectations are premeditated disappointments.

Posts: 8339 | Location: West | Registered: November 26, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post