SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  Mason's Rifle Room    I Know Absolutely Nothing About AR Rifles.
Page 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

I Know Absolutely Nothing About AR Rifles. Login/Join 
Picture of P250UA5
posted Hide Post
Glad to see it's coming together.
I've been pleased with the Magpul MBUS (rear only) on mine.

The Enemy's gate is down.

Posts: 15277 | Location: Spring, TX | Registered: July 11, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Sigless in
Indiana
Picture of IndianaBoy
posted Hide Post
I don't want to be a wet blanket, but an 18" heavy barrel may be on the heftier end of what you were looking for.

Although that is a good price for a complete side-charger. Much of the same can be accomplished with an extended charging handle, but a lot of that is personal preference and I wager you will like that side charger just fine.

Posts: 14122 | Location: Indiana | Registered: December 04, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by IndianaBoy:
I don't want to be a wet blanket, but an 18" heavy barrel may be on the heftier end of what you were looking for.
Probably A Good Thing if you run out of ammunition and have to use it as a club. Wink

It's not as if I'm going to be schlepping this thing around with me on a daily basis. It will go to the range occasionally, not a whole lot of shooting in any session, and at home it will be where I can grab it at night if there is a sudden loud noise.

I really don't expect to use it a whole lot, other than to get comfortable with it. I was never in the market to buy an AR, the whole thing was kicked off when dwd1985 announced the karma for the stripped lower. Johnny3eagles was picked, he said that he has rifles and graciously passed his "win" on to me, then Riley added a parts kit to go with the stripped lower, and the snowball effect started.

Given my age, etc., this will probably be my one and only rifle. I am told that every household should have one. Smile

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

Posts: 30644 | Location: Central Florida, Orlando area | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Sigless in
Indiana
Picture of IndianaBoy
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by hrcjon:
somewhere in this thread I advised what I think you should do. I'll repeat it. Go buy a reputable complete 5.56 upper. PSA would not be my choice but others have been happy. Get it from a first tier vendor if you have the money but if not move down the ladder.
carbine or mid is a very minor issue.
Have fun, shoot a zillion rounds, be happy.

I have built quite a few of my own uppers using parts sourced from Palmetto and they have been top notch.

Their fully assembled uppers have had a few, key word few, QC problems that were easily remedied.

I have stuck with their premium bolt carrier groups. Their freedom barrels, while not cold hammer forged, have impressed me so far with performance for the price.

Posts: 14122 | Location: Indiana | Registered: December 04, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Sigless in
Indiana
Picture of IndianaBoy
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by V-Tail:
quote:
Probably A Good Thing if you run out of ammunition and have to use it as a club. Wink

Big Grin

Nice thing about an AR with 40rd Pmags and 60rd drums available. It's hard to run out of ammunition. Cool

I usually stick with a 20-30 round mag in my 'around the house' gun just to keep it light and handy.

אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post
quote:
I have built quite a few of my own uppers using parts sourced from Palmetto and they have been top notch.
I initially thought about doing something like that, but there seems to be no significant saving by buying a bunch of parts, re buying an assembled upper.

I have been told (remember, I have already confessed my lack of knowledge)that the upper section is more critical than the lower, and there might be some tuning involved. If I were younger, and a real hobbyist, that might be the way to go. But I'm older, this will likely be my one and only rifle, so I want to keep it KISS.

The simplest way, of course would have been to just buy a rifle, but I never really intended to have one, until I received the "starter kit" from a couple of members, as a karma.

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

Posts: 30644 | Location: Central Florida, Orlando area | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I would be VERY weary of a set of Magpuls for that price on Amazon....so go to Palmetto RIGHT NOW and order them.. they are cheaper and WILL NOT last at this price... GO NOW!!!!

Posts: 269 | Registered: August 12, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Sigless in
Indiana
Picture of IndianaBoy
posted Hide Post
If you find it a bit front heavy, you can always balance it out with a bit heavier stock.

My 3-gun rifle is setup that way. Everyone has their own preferences on how they like a rifle to balance.

Sigless in
Indiana
Picture of IndianaBoy
posted Hide Post
quote:

I have been told (remember, I have already confessed my lack of knowledge)that the upper section is more critical than the lower, and there might be some tuning involved.

You are doing just fine.

If you stick with standard parts there is really no need to do any 'tuning'.

An example of my 3-gun rifle is a rifle that is 'tuned'.

Low mass carrier and buffer to reduce reciprocating mass and reduce recoil, along with a muzzle brake to reduce recoil.

Lower mass reciprocating parts with a standard sized gas port will result in a very over-gassed rifle. The goal of my setup is to eliminate or minimize the secondary recoil effect of the bolt carrier and buffer impacting the rear of the receiver extension.

This is splitting a VERY fine hair to seek a happy medium with 100% reliability but with sight disruption so minimal that I can watch my reticle as I am shooting steel to call my shots, or so that I can shoot fast pairs on closeup paper with essentially only one sight picture.

A typical carbine with off the rack parts is going to run just fine within a pretty darn wide operating envelope. You are going to get along just fine with that upper you chose, and if you have questions there are plenty here ready to walk you through whatever you may encounter.

Check out SGammo for some good deals on ammo. I am a big fan of the Geco 55gr. It is Swiss made. I have used it out to 500 yards through both my 3-gun rifle and a 16" gun that I shoot suppressed 95% of the time.

Sigless in
Indiana
Picture of IndianaBoy
posted Hide Post
You will probably want to find an inexpensive riser for that optic you picked up.

To my eye, the standard mount didn't look quite tall enough to give a good sight picture with a standard AR. You will probably find yourself trying to cram your cheek down on the stock to try to see through it properly.

ARs are somewhat unique in that they have no drop in the stock compared to many other long guns. This necessitates a higher than typical mount for most types of optics.

אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post
quote:
You will probably want to find an inexpensive riser for that optic you picked up.
The website description for the sight says "1/3 co-witness." Would that make it the correct height? Again, remember my lack of knowledge re just about all things AR related.

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Tompow:
I would be VERY weary of a set of Magpuls for that price on Amazon....so go to Palmetto RIGHT NOW and order them.. they are cheaper and WILL NOT last at this price... GO NOW!!!!
I'm not sure what you are seeing at the Palmetto site, maybe you can give me a URL.

This is what I'm seeing at Amazon for $66.76:

https://smile.amazon.com/Magpu...300_QL70_&dpSrc=srch

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

Plowing straight ahead come what may
Picture of Bisleyblackhawk
posted Hide Post
V-Tail...Magpul makes a line of products for air-soft guns...these are the PTS line...they look the same but are manufactured from a lesser quality polymer and overall they are inferior, thus the cheaper price, usually $20-$25 for the set. Sometimes unscrupulous venders will sell these instead of the real thing at the higher price of the real Magpul item...you see a lot of these "bargains" on ebay that are the PTS accessories such as sights and slings...

Sometimes they do this on Amazon...unbeknownst to Amazon...but Amazon is good to make it good if you get hoodwinked...

Every real Magpul accessory will have Magpul etched into every Allen screw used...

Here is another source that I trust as to the authenticity of any thing purchased from them...plus they always ship free...

http://www.tomstactical.com/Ma...Set--Black_p_74.html

"we've gotta roll with the punches, learn to play all of our hunches
Making the best of what ever comes our way
Forget that blind ambition and learn to trust your intuition
Plowing straight ahead come what may
And theres a cowboy in the jungle"
Jimmy Buffet

Posts: 10584 | Location: Southeast Tennessee...not far above my homestate Georgia | Registered: March 10, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Sigless in
Indiana
Picture of IndianaBoy
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
The website description for the sight says "1/3 co-witness." Would that make it the correct height? Again, remember my lack of knowledge re just about all things AR related.

If it says 1/3 cowitness then you will be just fine. My eyeball must be out of calibration.

אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post
quote:
If it says 1/3 cowitness then you will be just fine. My eyeball must be out of calibration.
quote:
From the SightMark website description of this sight:
the unit comes standard with a removable low-profile weaver mount and lower 1/3 co-witness riser mount.

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

Sigless in
Indiana
Picture of IndianaBoy
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
quote:
From the SightMark website description of this sight:
the unit comes standard with a removable low-profile weaver mount and lower 1/3 co-witness riser mount.

Thanks! I'm guessing the Weaver mount was installed for the picture that I looked at.

posted Hide Post
http://palmettostatearmory.com...ck-up-sight-set.html
go quickly.... $50 and free shipping... now go!!!

Posts: 269 | Registered: August 12, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Tompow:
http://palmettostatearmory.com...ck-up-sight-set.html
go quickly.... $50 and free shipping... now go!!!
Got it. Order placed. Thank you.

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Bisleyblackhawk:
[Where are you on magazines with whit to feed it?...shoot me an email with your address (my email address is in my profile) and I'll instant KARMA you a few different types to get started and help choosing others Smile
Minding my own business today, at work, and I got a message from The UPS Store: "We have received a package for you. Please stop in and pick it up."

Whoo hoo! Several magazines, different types, to try.

Thank you Bisley! (or is that "Mr. BlackHawk?")

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

Picture of RichardC
posted Hide Post
quote:

...free AR classes offered by Florida Gun Exchange, once a month or so. The November offering was today. I made the drive, car-pooling with another forum member. The promised 1.5 hour class stretched to almost 2.5 hours and was really informative. A rifle was taken apart, step-by-step, for inspection and cleaning.

The class leader / instructor was a gunsmith, he had quite a few techniques for simplifying some of the steps, showed us what to look for in parts that wear, and how to detect problem areas and potential failures. A free class; if the entry fee were $25 or so, I probably would have hesitated to attend, but after the fact I believe that it would have been well worth it.

Smile

Next class, January 20th.

I want to go.

http://floridagunexchange.com/event-calendar/

Posts: 15886 | Location: Florida | Registered: June 23, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post