SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  Mason's Rifle Room    EDIT: CHANGED TO A ROUND CAP --- Anyone have personal experience with the PSA Freedom uppers?
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

EDIT: CHANGED TO A ROUND CAP --- Anyone have personal experience with the PSA Freedom uppers? Login/Join 
Security Sage
Picture of striker1
posted
I'm looking at the midlengths with the nitrided barrels that come with BCG and CH.

Will not operate, but want solid and reliable.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: striker1,

RB

Cancer fighter (Non-Hodgkins Lymphoma) since 2009, now fighting Diffuse Large B-Cell Lymphoma.

Posts: 7133 | Location: Michiana | Registered: March 01, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of xl_target
posted Hide Post
I own one freedom upper with a nitrided barrel. It works quite well. No FTF or FTE yet.
I didn't care for the BCG that it came with but that was just because of it's rough, patchy appearance.
The Freedom BCG functioned fine but after one range session, I changed it out for a spare PSA Premium BCG and charging handle that I had on hand.

I should state that mine was a kit with a rifle length gas system and not a midlength.
My range only goes out to 200 yards but the rifle goes bang every time I pull the trigger and hits what I am aiming for.
For the money you just can't go wrong.

Posts: 2322 | Registered: January 15, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Man of few words

Picture of remsig
posted Hide Post
I bought one 2 months ago and mated it with a PSA lower but haven't shot it yet. I actually have 2nd one arriving tomorrow. Hopefully I'll be able to shoot both of them in the very near future.

For the price you can't beat them.

Posts: 7859 | Location: NE Ohio | Registered: July 03, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Rule #1: Use enough gun
Picture of Bigboreshooter
posted Hide Post
I have 2 PSA Freedom mid-length uppers. One is a Dissipator, and the other has a free-float keymod forend. Both have SS 16" barrels. One has a PSA NiB bcg, the other has a PSA Premium bcg. Love 'em both; no complaints with either.

When a strong man, fully armed, guards his own house, his possessions are undisturbed. Luke 11:21

"Every nation in every region now has a decision to make.
Either you are with us, or you are with the terrorists." -- George W. Bush

Posts: 14826 | Location: Birmingham, Alabama | Registered: February 25, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
If you're gonna be a
bear, be a Grizzly!
Picture of Todd Huffman
posted Hide Post
I've got one on one of my builds, no problems after a couple thousand rounds

Here's to the sunny slopes of long ago.

Posts: 3633 | Location: Morganton, NC | Registered: December 31, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Now Serving 7.62
Picture of 10X-Shooter
posted Hide Post
I have a Freedom upper, 7.5 inch barrel nitrided. Running great.

Posts: 6005 | Location: TN | Registered: February 12, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Not as lean, not as mean,
Still a Marine
Picture of Gibb
posted Hide Post
I have the Freedom 20" on my A4 build. It's going good now, but my first trip to the range had numerous failure to chamber issues. It seemed like every 2nd or 3rd round would need to be hammered home with the forward assist.

I had taken it down and re-lubed it numerous times at the range, and still happened, but after 50 or so rounds it started to behave, and after another range cleaning and lube it made it through the next 50 with only 3 or 4 issues.

Got it home and thoroughly cleaned it again, used a dry lube, and cycled the bolt about 20-30 times. Wiped it down, lubed it up, and hit the range the next day and it went 100 rounds without any issues at all.

Overall I'm happy, especially with the price I paid for it. I'd get another, without worry.

I shall respect you until you open your mouth, from that point on, you must earn it yourself.

Posts: 3352 | Location: Southern Maine | Registered: February 10, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Security Sage
Picture of striker1
posted Hide Post
I ordered this midlength upper

Hard to beat for $269.99 plus free shipping.

RB

Cancer fighter (Non-Hodgkins Lymphoma) since 2009, now fighting Diffuse Large B-Cell Lymphoma.

Posts: 7133 | Location: Michiana | Registered: March 01, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Man of few words

Picture of remsig
posted Hide Post
Here's my newest upper which arrived today along with a cheap red dot scope that I got from Amazon.

After I get the lower, I'll have just under $500 in a complete AR.

Posts: 7859 | Location: NE Ohio | Registered: July 03, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Security Sage
Picture of striker1
posted Hide Post
I finished one of my locally-purchased $40 Anderson lowers with an on-sale PSA LPK, BCI (Bremen Castings) milspec buffer tube kit, and MOE stock and grip. About $160 added to the $270 upper gets me into a decent mid length for $430.00, before rear sight.

RB

Sigless in
Indiana
Picture of IndianaBoy
posted Hide Post
Not a complete upper but I have been very pleased with a build that I used a PSA Freedom nitrided barrel and premium BCG to complete.

Posts: 14114 | Location: Indiana | Registered: December 04, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of fyimo
posted Hide Post
I have bought two PSA freedom uppers and two of their Magpul lowers and both functioned as they should. Both of my uppers had the stainless steel barrels with one having a 1/7 twist and the other a 1/8 twist.
Here's the one with the 1/7 barrel twist

Freedom Is Not Free And Is Paid For By Our Military.
VFW Member
NRA Life Member 042722999
SWCA

Posts: 9186 | Location: Arkansas | Registered: July 21, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Never miss an
opportunity to STFU
posted Hide Post
Ill join the team too. I got a mid-length with 16" barrel last fall just for a loaner/beater. My cousin, who is not a shooter can shoot 1" groups with it at 75 yds with a Primary arms red dot. I let him use it for deer season and he bagged 2. I got a wild pig in Georgia with it. It's never failed to function, even with PSA'a cheepie bolt/carrier group. It's a keeper.

Never be more than one step away from your sword-Old Greek Wisdom

Posts: 2294 | Location: SE Mich-- USA | Registered: September 10, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of scuttlebutt
posted Hide Post
I ordered two freedom midlength 16" barreled uppers with bcgs and ch,both in 5.56,one a ss dissipator and the other a blem melonite middy about a few months ago.I had to rma and send back the middy with the stripped bolt because the headspace was under minimum when checked with a go gage.They promptly replaced the barrel and sent the bolt back with a letter of apology and that they headspaced and test fired the new upper with 20 rnds.When I got it back about a week later I rechecked the headspace and it was fine.I guess mil-spec is just a marketing term that means very little in the ar world.The lesson learned is don't take headspace for granted,always check it.It's your safety and the weapons reliability that is at stake.

"The early bird may get the worm but the second mouse gets the cheese !"

Posts: 1221 | Location: Warner,N.H. | Registered: January 21, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Security Sage
Picture of striker1
posted Hide Post
I received the upper today. The melonited barrel looks a bit different, but overall the build is very clean. Bolt is marked MP tested, and I didn't realize that it would be, so a nice bonus.

Mated to an Anderson Lower:

RB

Rule #1: Use enough gun
Picture of Bigboreshooter
posted Hide Post
Looks good!

When a strong man, fully armed, guards his own house, his possessions are undisturbed. Luke 11:21

"Every nation in every region now has a decision to make.
Either you are with us, or you are with the terrorists." -- George W. Bush

Posts: 14826 | Location: Birmingham, Alabama | Registered: February 25, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
When you fall, I will be there to catch you -With love, the floor
posted Hide Post
quote:
but my first trip to the range had numerous failure to chamber issues

Same here. After a total cleaning and more rounds, it's becoming totally relievable. Haven't had the time to put that many rounds through it. Maybe a hundred.

Richard Scalzo
Epping, NH

http://www.bigeastakitarescue.net

Posts: 5803 | Location: Epping, NH | Registered: October 16, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Security Sage
Picture of striker1
posted Hide Post
Just thought I'd mention it; this particular midlength upper, and probably most of the PSA/PTAC midlength uppers that come with standard round handguards, will have the triangular front cap.

This means that the Magpul MOE handguards are a no-go.

RB

Picture of xl_target
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by striker1:
Just thought I'd mention it; this particular midlength upper, and probably most of the PSA/PTAC midlength uppers that come with standard round handguards, will have the triangular front cap.

According to Magpul, the MOE M-LOK handguards (carbine, midlenght or rifle) will fit either a round or triangular retaining cap.
quote:
Easy to install utilizing existing delta ring and round or triangular front hand guard retaining cap

https://www.magpul.com/product...d-mid-length-ar15-m4

Posts: 2322 | Registered: January 15, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of scuttlebutt
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by striker1:

The PSA midlength uppers will in fact accept either style of handguards in my personal experience with them.As xl-target alludes Magpul designed the moe furniture to mount to either style of handguard cap.And I too have those two uppers mated to Anderson lowers and they fit real nice.The receivers were pretty dirty inside though and required hot tanking and some deburring and parts test fitting before final assembly.ymmv

"The early bird may get the worm but the second mouse gets the cheese !"

Posts: 1221 | Location: Warner,N.H. | Registered: January 21, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post