SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  Mason's Rifle Room    Gun case foam
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Gun case foam Login/Join 
posted
I'd like to get some thoughts about gun case foam. I have a couple of Plano Field Locker rifle cases, but I have too many rifles to have custom cut foam made for each of my rifles. So I was thinking about getting some thinner foam to put into the cases, such that when the case is closed there would be roughly about an inch +/- of space between the two pieces of foam. This would just squeeze the rifles in place to keep them secure while I drive to and from the range. I was looking around at carolinacustomfoam.com and it looks like their convoluted foam may be ideal for this. Anybody have cases set up like this?

Posts: 219 | Registered: June 25, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
That's pretty much the std. way on any number of factory plastic cases. What's your concern?

“So in war, the way is to avoid what is strong, and strike at what is weak.”

Posts: 10966 | Registered: October 14, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Not really concerned, just curious how much space I should leave between the foam in the lid and the foam in the base to get a good "sqeeze" on the gun without distorting the case. The Plano cases came with solid foam in the base and were meant to be cut in the shape of the gun to hold it in position.

I have not yet begun
to procrastinate
posted Hide Post
Even when I put two guns in my SKB case and there isn't ANY "space", the guns can shift a little.
I wouldn't leave any.
Yes, it's very tight and I have to press firmly to latch. No Big Deal.
The foam is supposed to compress the gun tightly. One inch of space IMO is too much.

--------
After the game, the King and the pawn go into the same box.

Posts: 3771 | Location: Central AZ | Registered: October 26, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Hop head
Picture of lyman
posted Hide Post
ditto on the no space,

I use some hard cases for packing and transporting to and from gunshows,
have a couple that have space, or just a bit loose, and they firearms always slip inside them,

https://www.chesterfieldarmament.com/

Posts: 10409 | Location: Beach VA,not VA Beach | Registered: July 17, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of kimberkid
posted Hide Post
I've been looking for gun case foam myself!

I've got a 4 56x18x6" Pelican cases I bought from our State Surplus. They appear to be what Pelican calles their Protector Serise, which have "O" ring gaskets and pressure valves. They once held fixed leg tripods and iPads, the cases may have been more expensive than the contents(no expense spared with tax dollars!).

I'd like to repurpose them as rifle cases but the foam has been cut so that it's not compatible to a rifle. I've searched a bit but haven't found a suitable type of dense foam ... at least at a reasonable price (Pelican wanted $200 for each case)

... any help/suggestions?

If you really want something you'll find a way ...
... if you don't you'll find an excuse.

I'm really not a "kid" anymore ... but I haven't grown up yet either Wink

Posts: 5700 | Registered: January 11, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Check out carolinacustomfoam.com.

Picture of kimberkid
posted Hide Post
Wow!

Thanks marc308 ... My google-fu must be out of whack because after seeing this thread I did some more "searching" and still didn't find that company!

Doing what I want,
When I want,
If I want!
Picture of beltfed21
posted Hide Post
Try Cobra Foam inserts. Good to go! Pre cut for cases listed, or custom order. Whichever you prefer.

"On the other side of fear you will always find freedom"

Posts: 2667 | Registered: January 08, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Foamerica dot com has a full line of Pelican stuff and they also have replacement foam pieces to fit each case.

Posts: 238 | Registered: March 11, 2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of kimberkid
posted Hide Post
I've done more looking at the case" and I can't find a name anywhere except the pressure release valve says SKB, but no model number. There is a label on one of the 4 which says Custom Cases and Foam ... has California address and 877 phone number, called and they are still in business but haven't been able to get a human yet ... see what they say.

Picture of sgalczyn
posted Hide Post
I recall the November or December American Rifleman had a nice article on this company:

https://www.mycasebuilder.com/...and-rifle-cases.html

"No matter where you go - there you are"

Posts: 4561 | Location: Eastern PA-Berks/Lehigh Valley | Registered: January 03, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I hated the pluck and suck foam I had. I just went to my local furniture guy and he had tons of choices. I got one that felt about the right density and used that. Has been working for quite some time.

“So in war, the way is to avoid what is strong, and strike at what is weak.”

Posts: 10966 | Registered: October 14, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post