SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  Mason's Rifle Room    Question for hunters of large game moving targets (deer, elk, etc.):
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Question for hunters of large game moving targets (deer, elk, etc.): Login/Join 
Experienced Slacker
posted Hide Post
Personally I've only pulled off two running shots I can remember, and both were at closer range than the OP's poll is asking about.

Trying to think of the odds of getting a rifle to shoulder, picking the spot, putting the crosshairs on the spot, and then having a running animal actually end up there to meet the bullet as planned at 100 yards or more. Pretty freaking long odds in my opinion.

If we are talking about mule deer I'd say forget it. Their bouncing run is both hysterical and effective.

Regardless of prey, I'd think that a swinging lead would tend to give a better estimate of where to send the tiny fast spinny thingy.

Posts: 7495 | Registered: May 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I try not to take shots like that, I’d really hate to gut shoot and lose an animal, it happened to me once before and that was more than enough times for me.

Posts: 5082 | Location: Alaska | Registered: June 12, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Freethinker
Picture of sigfreund
posted Hide Post
Thanks to everyone who responded. Unlike the question about birds and other aerial targets, I didn’t know what to expect with this one, and the replies were informative.

6.4/93.6

“Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something.”
— Plato

Posts: 47397 | Location: 10,150 Feet Above Sea Level in Colorado | Registered: April 04, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post