SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  Mason's Rifle Room    Ruger PC Carbine
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Ruger PC Carbine Login/Join 
posted
Anyone have one? Saw one at the gun shop when I had my granddaughter out to the range. The same caliber as the Ruger 30 cal.? Used Mini 30 mags?

Officers lives matter!

Posts: 3265 | Location: Arkansas | Registered: February 12, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
That's just the
Flomax talking
Picture of GaryBF
posted Hide Post
The last time I checked, the PC Carbine was not a pistol. You might want to repost on the rifle page.

And do a search:
https://sigforum.com/eve/forums...orum_scope=630601935

Posts: 11875 | Location: St. Louis, Missouri | Registered: February 04, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
addicted to trailing-throttle oversteer
posted Hide Post
Well...at least the caliber of the PC Carbine is a pistol one (9mm). Uses Ruger SR9 and American pistol mags right out of the box (American pistol mags require an adapter, sold separately). Own any 9mm Glock magazines and those will work as well with the included magwell adapter installed. Aftermarket mags for Glocks are purportedly more sketchy in terms of compatibility.

Posts: 8983 | Location: Drippin' wet | Registered: April 18, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ArLEOret:
Anyone have one? Saw one at the gun shop when I had my granddaughter out to the range. The same caliber as the Ruger 30 cal.? Used Mini 30 mags?

I think you're getting two different Rugers confused.

The Ruger PC Carbine is a semiauto 9mm carbine that takes Glock and SR9 magazines.

https://ruger.com/products/pcCarbine/models.html

Then there's the Ruger American Ranch rifle, which is a bolt action rifle. Ruger recently introduced a 7.62x39 version that accepts Mini 30 magazines.

https://ruger.com/products/ame...pecSheets/16976.html

Ruger doesn't make a PC Carbine in 7.62, and they don't have any semiauto 7.62x39 rifle other than the Mini 30.

Posts: 32506 | Location: Northwest Arkansas | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Gambit
posted Hide Post
It's on my short list. Gun show prices are around $450 in these parts.

Posts: 915 | Location: Acadiana | Registered: February 14, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I bought one of the Ruger 9 mm PCCs (pistol caliber carbine)for just under $450. Academy Sports has released a preview of Black Friday specials for later this month that lists the Ruger PCC at $400 if you are interested. Ruger made a prior version of a 9 mm pistol caliber carbine years back called the PC 9.

The Ruger PCC is a quite nice 9 mm pistol caliber carbine. Butt stock spacers make length of pull adjustable. Charging handle can be switched right to left. The ability to take Glock mags is a big plus. I have had no problems using Glock 19 and Glock 17 magazines.

Posts: 372 | Registered: March 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Prepared for the Worst, Providing the Best
Picture of 92fstech
posted Hide Post
I have one. It's 9mm, not .30 cal, and uses either Ruger or Glock mags (it comes with 2 different adapters, one for each type of mag that you swap into the stock). Mine is currently set up for Glock mags. It has run 100% on factory Glock Mags...for some reason the Magpul 21 rounder I have nose-dives the second-to-last round consistently, every time (although this same mags works fine in my Glock and my 9mm AR).

Overall, I like the PC Carbine. It's reliable, easy to detail strip, and modular. I currently have the charging handle set up on the left side, so I can charge it with my off-hand. The Ghost ring sights are pretty decent, too, although I had a Vortex Strikefire II lying around, so I mounted it on there. The trigger is light and crisp.

Downsides are it's kind of heavy for what it is, and requires tools to disassemble for cleaning. You have to take the bolt-handle off every time you take it down, and it must be re-torqued tightly when re-assembling to ensure that it doesn't come loose during firing. I have my concerns about the threads holding up over the long-term.

The real beauty of the platform is it looks like it would be easy to adapt for other calibers with a simple bolt-face and barrel change. Due to the takedown design and design of the bolt, this would be an easy user-performed modification. I hope Ruger has plans for this in the near future.

Posts: 8564 | Location: In the Cornfields | Registered: May 25, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
^^^^ Very interesting idea! Chamber it in .357Sig. Should have some increased ballistics for the cartridge. And still use Glock mags.

End of Earth: 2 Miles
Upper Peninsula: 4 Miles

Posts: 16086 | Location: Marquette MI | Registered: July 08, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Little ray
of sunshine
Picture of jhe888
posted Hide Post
It is probably a fun-to shoot gun. Carbines in pistol rounds usually are.

Why can't Ruger make it a little better-looking? I swear they have an engineer in charge of ugly at Ruger.

The fish is mute, expressionless. The fish doesn't think because the fish knows everything.

Posts: 53122 | Location: Texas | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Prepared for the Worst, Providing the Best
Picture of 92fstech
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by YooperSigs:
^^^^ Very interesting idea! Chamber it in .357Sig. Should have some increased ballistics for the cartridge. And still use Glock mags.

Yep. With slower burning powder (HS6), I am seeing about a 200FPS gain over handgun length barrels out of the PC Carbine with my 9mm handloads. I can only imagine what a round like the .357 Sig or 10mm would do out of this platform. Lots of untapped potential here, imo.

Posts: 8564 | Location: In the Cornfields | Registered: May 25, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I have a real bias against Ruger from past experiences. So , it was with a fair amount of skepticism , that I bought a PC carbine..... I really like it !!

It's been 100% reliable. Pleasure to shoot and accurate at reasonable distances. No complaints from me !

Posts: 1272 | Location: Idaho | Registered: October 21, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Unapologetic Old
School Curmudgeon
Picture of Lord Vaalic
posted Hide Post
I want one, local fun store was $600 though. I'll wait for a deal online

Don't weep for the stupid, or you will be crying all day

Posts: 10729 | Location: TN | Registered: December 18, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I had a PC4. Shot well, reliable, and fun to shoot. Built for the apocalypse

Cons: Built for the apocalypse (HEAVY), PITA to take apart. Do NOT mess with the trigger assembly. I had to pay a gunsmith to reassemble it.

I got out of 40 S&W and again, just too damn heavy. I finally kicked the PCC craze,

Posts: 3537 | Location: Alexandria, VA | Registered: March 07, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Blume9mm
posted Hide Post
Number of years ago ruger came out with the Police Carbine... which shot either 9mm or 40 caliber and used the same magazines as their P series pistols. Ruger thought police departments would buy them up, they did not see these departments going the military route and just getting ARs instead. these were neat rifles and shot well.

About 2 years ago Ruger introduced a new Carbine that can take not only their latest pistol 9mm magazines but with an adapter take Glock mags..Lots of folks like these... I have yet to try one. I'm holding out for Ruger to make an adapter for these rifles that will use the older P series magazines as well as what would really be nice... Sig P226.

now what I really don't get is the break down design of these rifles as well as the 10/22... seems folks like this... personally if I what a rifle I can make shorter I prefer a folding stock. Now back to the older PC9 carbine... I am one of two folks in this country that have one of these:

My Native American Name:
"Runs with Scissors"

Posts: 4441 | Location: Greenville, SC | Registered: January 30, 2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
PC does not stand for politically correctSmile I love mine, but the blowback design can't handle any more horespower!! That tungsten weighted bolt really jolts your shoulder, especially on a bench while sight in. Ruger is the king of ugly!!! That was good!Smile

Posts: 465 | Location: Michigan | Registered: November 22, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
For anyone who has shot or owned both, can you compare it with the Beretta Storm?
Insights appreciated.

Posts: 826 | Location: Baltimore, MD | Registered: March 29, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ScotP7:
For anyone who has shot or owned both, can you compare it with the Beretta Storm?
Insights appreciated.

And people think the Ruger is ugly, this is worse! I understand them to be good shooters, kinda space gun looking.

Posts: 465 | Location: Michigan | Registered: November 22, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
That rug really tied
the room together.
Picture of bubbatime
posted Hide Post
I own the Storm and the Ruger. Both are reliable. Ruger has a better trigger. Beretta is shorter and more compact. Ruger takes Glock mags. I like both. For home defense I'd be more inclined to use the Beretta. For backpack gun, I'd use the Ruger.

Posts: 6661 | Location: Floriduh | Registered: October 16, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I think the ugliness is a result of the take-down feature. They had to split the stock in two and also push the rear sight forward onto the barrel.

quote:
Originally posted by jhe888:
It is probably a fun-to shoot gun. Carbines in pistol rounds usually are.

Why can't Ruger make it a little better-looking? I swear they have an engineer in charge of ugly at Ruger.

Posts: 838 | Registered: September 27, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Devil's Advocate
Picture of Holger Danske
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Batty67:
. . . Con: Built for the apocalypse (HEAVY) . . .

I handled one the other day and was really surprised at how heavy it was. Wasn't expecting that at all.

________
Homo sum: humani nil a me alienum puto

Posts: 1080 | Location: Baton Rouge | Registered: March 16, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post