SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  Mason's Rifle Room    Friends don't let friends shoot Wolf
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Friends don't let friends shoot Wolf Login/Join 
thin skin can't win
Picture of Georgeair
posted
Or "How to jam up a client's new rifle in one easy step!"

While loading up a bunch of magazines to take to a client outing where I was in charge of various firearms for entertainment I pulled a couple of older boxes of Wolf .223 I'd set aside a few years again and figured what the heck, good time to get rid of this.

FF to us shooting at one of client/owners farm and a new owner picks up one of my mags by mistake and starts shooting it. About 6 rounds in it jams. Not sure if fired/unfired but pretty sure it was locked up out of battery loading a round. Charging handle is jammed, forward assist gets nothing, banging stock on ground still nothing. It is well and good locked up. He's taking it back to the guy who built it for him to disassemble, and I told him to let me know the tab, and that the guy was going to pull that gray case out and say "What is THIS shit!?"

In an example of karma being a bitch, mine failed to eject 5 minutes later leaving a spent case hanging out in the barrel. I'm far from home with no tools, so just packed that up too.

Dammit.

You only have integrity once. - imprezaguy02

Posts: 12350 | Location: Madison, MS | Registered: December 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gracie Allen is my
personal savior!
posted Hide Post
Chrome lined chambers? Polymer coated steel cases?

Posts: 27291 | Location: Deep in the heart of the brush country, and closing on that #&*%!?! roadrunner. Really. | Registered: February 05, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Green Mountain Boy
Picture of Jus228
posted Hide Post
Some rifles are just picky. I've shot thousands of rounds of wolf including the old laquer coated stuff in 4 different ARs and never once had an issue with it.

!~God Bless the U.S. Military~!

If the world didn't suck, we'd all fall off

Light travels faster than sound, this is why some people appear bright until you hear them speak

Posts: 5563 | Location: Vermont | Registered: March 02, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of PGT
posted Hide Post
Never had an issue with any Wolf I've bought whether steel-cased 45acp or brass 22LR match ammo.

Posts: 3065 | Registered: December 21, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Green Mountain Boy
Picture of Jus228
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by PGT:
Never had an issue with any Wolf I've bought whether steel-cased 45acp or brass 22LR match ammo.

I believe the .22LR is made by Eley somewhere in western Europe.

Light travels faster than sound, this is why some people appear bright until you hear them speak

Posts: 5563 | Location: Vermont | Registered: March 02, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of jbcummings
posted Hide Post
I'll shoot it in my AK, but not in anything else. Certainly not in my LWRC.

———-
Do not meddle in the affairs of wizards, for thou art crunchy and taste good with catsup.

Posts: 4306 | Location: DFW | Registered: May 21, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Hop head
Picture of lyman
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Jus228:
quote:

22 match target and match extra are made by SK (in Germany IIRC)

https://www.chesterfieldarmament.com/

Posts: 10410 | Location: Beach VA,not VA Beach | Registered: July 17, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:

SK Jagd, that's who makes the Wolf Performance Ammo .22LR ammo. Damn good stuff it is. The Wolf Performace Ammo ammo is no different than the SK Jagd, made in Germany.

When I was shooting Small bore I shot hundreds of thousands of them both. As good or better than Eley Tenx and cheaper.

As for other Wolf Performance Ammo, I have shot a ton of the .223 Remington, 9X19mm and .40 S&W. I never had any problems with any of it. Not the most accurate, and surely not clean burning, but it let me shoot more and had acceptable accuracy for what I was doing.

ARman

Posts: 3146 | Registered: May 19, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Everything I have read about Wolf Gold 5.56 (brass cased) says the ammo is highly GTG.

I agree on the steel case ammo though - I steer clear.

If I have to economize it's PRVI, PMC, American Eagle, etc.

---------------------------------

Proverbs 27:17 - As iron sharpens iron, so one man sharpens another.

Posts: 8940 | Location: Florida | Registered: September 20, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Green Mountain Boy
Picture of Jus228
posted Hide Post
The Wolf 22 fooled me then. It smells exactly like Eley when fired. Big Grin

Wolf gold is another example of outside sourcing. Made in Taiwan and is excellent M193 clone even though they call it .223. Love the stuff.

posted Hide Post
Shit, I shoot Tula and Wolf gray garbage all the time at rifle matches, even with my SCAR 16. Any of the close stages where all the shots are inside of 40-50 yards, I shoot the crap. 50-350 gets brass of some kind or Wolf Gold. Never really had a problem outside of the occasional dud, and a quick rack of the handle solves that problem.

IDPA ESP SS

Posts: 964 | Location: Nashville, TN | Registered: January 03, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of CandyMan.45
posted Hide Post
Between Wolf & Tula steel across 3-4 platforms, a little over 7k rounds and no issues...

Posts: 1242 | Location: The Edge of Nowhere... | Registered: April 05, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
The Wolf 22 fooled me then. It smells exactly like Eley when fired.

To my nose Wolf smells noticeably different than Eley.

Wolf 22lr is made in the same factory, and on the same machines, as SK. SK is part of the Nammo Group, which also owns Vihtavuori powders and Lapua. It's my understanding that Vihtavuori powder is used in all Lapua, SK, and Wolf 22lr ammo. Across most of the Lapua/SK/Wolf lines, I can't smell the difference in what I'm shooting. The one difference is their biathlon ammo, which does have a slightly difference scent to me.

Eley is a different group, based out of the UK. Eley is very tight lipped about their powder type, however there is no way they would use their primary competitor's powders. None of the Eley ammo I've shot smells like any of the Nammo Group ammo. Eley's top of the line match ammo smells slightly different than their value-line products.

For the money, Wolf's 22lr ammo is one of the best out there.

Wolf's 223/5.56 ammo isn't in the same league. It's dirty, it's not very accurate, and its bi-metal bullets will cause premature barrel wear. When forced to shoot lacquered-steel-case bimetal-bullet ammo in my carbine during close quarter training drills, Wolf caused no issues in my AR-15.

Not my first choice, but my carbine doesn't have issues with Wolf.

Posts: 7853 | Location: Colorado | Registered: January 26, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Spread the Disease
Picture of flesheatingvirus
posted Hide Post
quote:
Some rifles are just picky. I've shot thousands of rounds of wolf including the old laquer coated stuff in 4 different ARs and never once had an issue with it.

Same here, though it was definitely messier.

-- Fear is the mind-killer. Fear is the little-death that brings total obliteration. I will face my fear. I will permit it to pass over me and through me. And when it has gone past me I will turn the inner eye to see its path. Where the fear has gone there will be nothing. Only I will remain. --

Posts: 17248 | Location: New Mexico | Registered: October 14, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I shoot wolf all the time. It is cheap and barrels are wear items. Do the math.

If your rifle doesn't hiccup it isn't a problem. My main shooter is a 6920 barrel/bolt and it eats it like candy. And I don't clean it much, never had an issue. Ever.

Anecdotal but there it is.

Posts: 7348 | Location: Florida | Registered: June 18, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of ed308
posted Hide Post
The accuracy of Wolf .223/5.56 ammo turns me off. And it's dirty so I need to clean my rifles that shoot it more often.

Posts: 605 | Location: DFW Area | Registered: January 12, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of JoKer86
posted Hide Post
No problems with Wolf or Tula here. Mostly AKs though. However, never EVER buy this JUNK:

https://www.midwayusa.com/prod...al-jacket-steel-case

Winchester forged. Horrible, horrible stuff.

www.sanderstactical.com

Posts: 770 | Location: Gallatin, TN | Registered: December 13, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Truth Seeker
Picture of StorminNormin
posted Hide Post
I will only put Wolf in my AKs.

NRA Benefactor Life Member

Posts: 8657 | Location: The Lone Star State | Registered: July 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ride the lightning
Picture of Killer Instincts
posted Hide Post
Only jam my AUG A3 ever had was with steel-case Wolf. I find one is better off searching for good deals on quality ammo, just buying in bulk.

Posts: 2167 | Location: Underway | Registered: March 17, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Expert308
posted Hide Post
I picked up two 1000 rd cans of Wolf steel several years ago, the older stuff that's laquer coated. One can of 55gr ball and one of 62gr HP. I shot about half of it before I read that it can cause problems. I didn't have any jams with it, but I did stop using it after that.

Posts: 7244 | Location: Idaho | Registered: February 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post