SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  Mason's Rifle Room    New to HD Shotguns and would appreciate some input
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

New to HD Shotguns and would appreciate some input Login/Join 
That rug really tied
the room together.
Picture of bubbatime
posted Hide Post
Semi auto defensive shotguns start at $1200 and up and have names like Benelli M2 on them.

What about a pistol caliber carbine like the Ruger P.C. or Scorpion? Low recoil, accurate, fast follow up shots , will get the job done .

Posts: 6660 | Location: Floriduh | Registered: October 16, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of ruger357
posted Hide Post
I would go with tried and true. Benelli, beretta, A semi 20 gauge has low recoil. I would also recommend a PCC or AR.

-----------------------------------------

Roll Tide!

Glock Certified Armorer
NRA Certified Firearms Instructor

Posts: 7935 | Location: Hoover, AL | Registered: November 06, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Son of a son
of a Sailor
Picture of wxdave
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by lastmanstanding:
Thanks for all the input so far gents. I'm on notifications lists for all the ones I mentioned but I'm sure it's going to be awhile before anything becomes available.

Might I suggest a way to help you find a shotgun. Write down the SKU or UPC for each specific gun you are looking for, then search Gun Deals twice or more a day. Also do a standard google search for those item numbers.

I got my 1301 from Bud's in May using that method. You have to be very persistent. I hope that helps!

--------------------------------------------
Floridian by birth, Seminole by the grace of God

Posts: 985 | Location: Houston, TX | Registered: May 20, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
She really doesn't need to spend a bunch of money on a "tactical" shotgun. Sure they look cool and make us all feel like we're "operators", but any decent quality reliable short barrel shotgun will work just as well for home defense.

Posts: 934 | Location: WV | Registered: May 30, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of lastmanstanding
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the search on Gun Deals heads up wxdave I will do that. You could be right jaybirdaccountant but quality and reliability aren't always found in the less expensive guns. With that being said my Tri Star which I consider to be among the cheaper guns has been quite reliable so far.

"Fixed fortifications are monuments to mans stupidity" - George S. Patton

Posts: 8504 | Location: Minnesota | Registered: June 17, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Shackelford
posted Hide Post
I’m not a fan of the Mossberg semis. Back when I used to RO IDPA/USPSA more, you’d see at least one every shotgun match. Maybe it was anecdotal, but nearly every single one had at least one malfunction per match, when the Benellis and FNs would run like tops. Maybe it was just the birdshot those guys used in matches, but it left a bad taste in my mouth.

I’d look at an M2 or a 1301, too. Whatever you can find, these days. I also second that 20 gauge is a great HD option, less recoil and you only lose a couple of BBs.

Personally, I’m an AR guy, but I wouldn’t push it on you/her. In general, familiarity with a weapon is worth far more than the selection of weapon itself. What does she know the best, north of a .22? That is what will serve her the best.

Posts: 831 | Location: Volunteer | Registered: January 16, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
You could be right jaybirdaccountant but quality and reliability aren't always found in the less expensive guns. With that being said my Tri Star which I consider to be among the cheaper guns has been quite reliable so far.

I didn't mean cheapo guns. But most sporting Remingtons, Brownings, Winchesters, etc. won't have the high price tags of many of the "tactical" guns be just as reliable and effective.

Posts: 934 | Location: WV | Registered: May 30, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Go ahead punk, make my day
posted Hide Post
10 yards being 30 feet, is far longer than most rooms in residential homes.

It's very easy to miss with a shotgun. In reality if you consider a single 556 round in the middle of the buckshot, you gain maybe 3 inches to one side that would be extra 'hit probability'? Yes, there is some gain but it's not a 'just aim in the general direction and pull the trigger' weapon.

Posts: 45798 | Registered: July 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Res ipsa loquitur
Picture of BB61
posted Hide Post
The FNH SLP is a Browning Gold. An uber reliable and extremely soft shooting shotgun. The Versa Max Tactical is equally reliable but it only comes in a 22" barrel so it is a little long and heavy. The Beneli M2 is equally reliable and IIRC, can be bought with an 18" barrel (M4 too). For my wife, I'd probably buy the FN. My only complaint is that it doesn't come with Browning's speed loader.

Posts: 12436 | Registered: October 13, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Tupperware Dr.
Picture of GCE61
posted Hide Post
quote:
I’m not a fan of the Mossberg semis. Back when I used to RO IDPA/USPSA more, you’d see at least one every shotgun match. Maybe it was anecdotal, but nearly every single one had at least one malfunction per match

On the 930’s you need to shoot loads that are minimum 1200fps and 1 1/8oz and they run fine.
They don’t like the super light trap loads.

Posts: 3537 | Registered: December 28, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Good points by all and I appreciate all the feedback. Good visual Rhinowso thanks for posting it. She has used a shotgun before in 12ga and no complaints from her. We have discussed this and she likes the idea of a HD shotgun and leaving it up to me to decide which is the best choice.

As I said earlier she was turned off by my AK so a AR is not a good choice. If she is receptive to the idea of a shotgun she will be more likely to willingly practice with it.
She is in good physical condition so a pound of weight here or there is no issue. She swings my Tri Star with no problem shooting clays for a hour or two.

I'm pretty smitten with the FN SLP but that's from my experience with their hand guns.

Posts: 8504 | Location: Minnesota | Registered: June 17, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Sigless in
Indiana
Picture of IndianaBoy
posted Hide Post
quote:

As I said earlier she was turned off by my AK so a AR is not a good choice.

If this is her experience with rifles, try and get a lightweight 16" carbine AR in her hands.

If I thought ARs would be like Aks... I wouldn't have any ARs either.

Different strokes for different folks but I find AKs to be clunky, heavy, crude, and not very pleasant to shoot.

Posts: 14114 | Location: Indiana | Registered: December 04, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Villebilly Deluxe
posted Hide Post
I have an older Remington 1187 youth model in 20 gauge that works great for my daughter. It’s light and reliable. Recoil is minimal. She also uses it for Turkey with a different choke.

Posts: 391 | Location: Bluegrass State | Registered: February 09, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Not One of
the Cool Kids
Picture of enidpd804
posted Hide Post
Mossberg 930s have a spotty reliability record and I would not go there. I'm not saying that from just personal experience but that of a few defensive shotgun instructors who have seen the same things I have. If you can spend that much and you're certain you want a shotgun, the Beretta 1301T combined with Federal FC buckshot has no rival. It's the softest shooting boom gun there is and it's more reliable than my Benelli. In fact, of the dozens I'm aware of, no one has reported any issues except the magazine ejection issue which is corrected in the Gen 1 with a $10 accessory and completely fixed in the Gen 2. If you buy a Gen 1, let me know and I'll send you the gadget you need as a Karma.

I also wouldn't discount a pistol caliber carbine.

Posts: 3911 | Location: OK | Registered: August 15, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Frangas non Flectes
Picture of P220 Smudge
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by RogueJSK:
quote:
I want her to have a gun where the likely hood of her missing a target in a tense situation inside the house is minimum

... You can still easily miss with a shotgun. Shotguns still have to be properly aimed.

The shot's spread at bedroom/living room distances is minimal.

I'm in the camp that says she'd almost certainly be better off with a rifle, such as an AR with a red dot. Less recoil. Easier to get hits. Higher capacity. Potentially simpler manual of arms. And potentially lighter weight.

Agreed. At your average house range, I don't think the shot has even begun to leave the cup.

I'll second the recommendations for a light AR or PCC. The Ruger PC carbine isn't a bad choice for the money.

Posts: 17056 | Location: Sonoran Desert | Registered: February 10, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of ruger357
posted Hide Post
Or a mini 14?

-----------------------------------------

Roll Tide!

Glock Certified Armorer
NRA Certified Firearms Instructor

Posts: 7935 | Location: Hoover, AL | Registered: November 06, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Where liberty dwells,
there is my country
Picture of Nick
posted Hide Post
I have an FN SLP, and while it it an amazing shotgun, the length of pull is quite long, with no off the shelf fix. If she’s small, it would be a tough fit.

"Escaped the liberal Borg and living free"

Posts: 2223 | Location: North Carolina, USA | Registered: January 21, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
You guys have me thinking about the PC carbines and I have been looking at them. I have her reading up on them and watching vids on reviews etc. She doesn't seem to be adverse to the idea. I have not found anything available in either yet so I'll keep looking. May come down to what comes available first.