SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  Mason's Rifle Room    Educate me on this Sling
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Educate me on this Sling Login/Join 
Picture of dmac82
posted
I am interested in learning more about this Sling:
I am looking for one that attaches to rifle sling studs. Is there a name for this type of sling? How would you typically attach this to the rifle?

Posts: 634 | Location: lost in the mountains | Registered: November 30, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
Those are "Quick Detach swivels". Typically called "QD swivels".

They don't work with standard sling loops or traditional sling studs. Instead, they interface with a socket that's mounted on the rifle. (There are various different styles and ways of attaching QD sockets to a rifle.)

These allow the sling to be quickly detached from the mounted socket with just the push of a button on the top of the QD swivel.

Posts: 32430 | Location: Northwest Arkansas | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Plowing straight ahead come what may
Picture of Bisleyblackhawk
posted Hide Post
For attaching to regular sling swivels...the
Magpul MS-3 work well...easy on and off and a locking provision to prevent the attachment points from coming open...be careful of counterfeit Magpul slings so order from a reputable supplier or Magpul themselves...

https://www.magpul.com/products/ms3-sling-gen2

"we've gotta roll with the punches, learn to play all of our hunches
Making the best of what ever comes our way
Forget that blind ambition and learn to trust your intuition
And theres a cowboy in the jungle"
Jimmy Buffet

Posts: 10580 | Location: Southeast Tennessee...not far above my homestate Georgia | Registered: March 10, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of dmac82
posted Hide Post
I am looking for this Sling with this type of attachment

Posts: 634 | Location: lost in the mountains | Registered: November 30, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Bisleyblackhawk
posted Hide Post
Butler Creek offers a Nylon sling in black equipped with QD locking swivels to use on sling studs...this is an example from Amazon, but it looks like a long wait for delivery (2-5 weeks ???)...if you have a big box sporting goods store locally, they may have one (or one like it from another manufacturer)...

https://www.amazon.com/Butler-...=butler+creek+slings

"we've gotta roll with the punches, learn to play all of our hunches
Making the best of what ever comes our way
Forget that blind ambition and learn to trust your intuition
And theres a cowboy in the jungle"
Jimmy Buffet

Posts: 10580 | Location: Southeast Tennessee...not far above my homestate Georgia | Registered: March 10, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Freethinker
Picture of sigfreund
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by dmac82:
I am looking for this Sling with this type of attachment

That type of sling swivel is designed to fit what is usually referred to as a screw-type sling swivel stud. It has been the traditional sling attachment for decades, and is still the most common method. Very often loop type slings are sold without the swivels because users tend to like to choose their own swivels. The swivels are therefore sold separately. Brownells, Midway, Amazon, and almost any gun store will carry such slings and swivels.

Many manufacturers make that type of swivel, and any sling that doesn’t come with swivels already attached will have a way of using them. The only thing that it’s normally important to be aware of is the sling width. A 1 1/4" sling won’t work well with a 1" wide swivel. Also, some swivels are designed to be more or less permanently attached to the stock. The one you picture above with the screws at the sides can be removed from the studs without removing the sling from the swivels.

https://www.brownells.com/shoo...d41796.aspx?psize=96

6.4/93.6

“Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something.”
— Plato

Posts: 47366 | Location: 10,150 Feet Above Sea Level in Colorado | Registered: April 04, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
With bad intent
posted Hide Post
Have these on almost every hunting rifle I own

YOu dont state what rifle it is or what you se it for so I'll assume its for hutning since most tactical rifles have gone the way of the QD.

http://www.montanagunslings.com/

Posts: 7912 | Location: One step ahead of you | Registered: February 10, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post