SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  Mason's Rifle Room    Talk me into or out of a mossberg shockwave
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Talk me into or out of a mossberg shockwave Login/Join 
Picture of ruger357
posted
Recoil? Usefulness? Fun factor? Defense work? What are your experiences with it? Any upgrades to make it better?

Academy has them on sale for $339 I think.

-----------------------------------------

Roll Tide!

Glock Certified Armorer
NRA Certified Firearms Instructor

Posts: 7942 | Location: Hoover, AL | Registered: November 06, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
It's not you,
it's me.
Picture of RAMIUS
posted Hide Post
I want one just to have...not really for any purpose but to play with...home defense option I guess.

Posts: 7016 | Location: Right outside Philly | Registered: September 08, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Bought one because......America?

Put an XS front sight on it, better safety, GG&G side saddle and sling mount. Totally a hoot to shoot, no reason not to have one. Pussy cat with the mini shell adapter and not bad with Federal low recoil 2 3/4 buck.

IDPA ESP SS

Posts: 969 | Location: Nashville, TN | Registered: January 03, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Hoping for better pharmaceuticals
Picture of AZSigs
posted Hide Post
Every one that I have sold, the buyers have come back and said they were fun to shoot.

Getting shot is no achievement. Hitting your enemy is. NRA Endowment Member . NRA instructor

Posts: 8753 | Location: Peoria, Arizona | Registered: April 02, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Tupperware Dr.
Picture of GCE61
posted Hide Post
I really really wanted to find a reason to buy one of these. A friend of mine brought one to the range when we were shooting a steel match and it was a hoot!
But shooting it side by side with a conventional 18" defense shotgun it's really lacking in speed and comfort. Maybe all of us just didn't have enough trigger time on that type of design, but the 18" guns were blowing it away time wise and handling wise, especially if there were longer 30yd shots added in on a couple of clay targets on the dirt backstop.
As a range toy I still want one, and if I can find a reasonable purpose to use it for home defense I'll get one, I'm still on the fence about them.

Posts: 3546 | Registered: December 28, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Stangosaurus Rex
Picture of Tommydogg
posted Hide Post
I recently saw a brace devise and a pistol grip for them. Seems like there are a few different things out there for these now.

Beth Greene

Posts: 7841 | Location: South Florida | Registered: January 09, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Music's over turn
out the lights
Picture of David W
posted Hide Post
It is super fun to shoot and I love the size of it. I think I will get a brace for it eventually.

It serves as one of my back up home defense weapons.

David W.

Rather fail with honor than succeed by fraud. -Sophocles

Posts: 3641 | Location: Winston Salem, N.C. | Registered: May 30, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Staring back
from the abyss
Picture of Gustofer
posted Hide Post
I bought one just because. Changed out the stock and put a telescoping one on it. While it shoots fine, I don't care for it and will be trading it in on the 870 variant.

I do not like the safety on top. Perhaps that's just me having owned 870s all my life and being comfortable with the safety down below.

Posts: 20085 | Location: Montana | Registered: November 01, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Leatherneck
posted Hide Post
I love mine. It is a blast to shoot.

If you add this insert from OPSol it will reliably cycle the mini shells too and ups the capacity to 9 which makes it even more fun at the range.

Recoil is manageable with heavier loads but I keep it loaded with lower recoil buckshot. I used to keep an 18"barreled 870 next to my bed for HD but this has replaced it. It is a lot easier to move through the house with. I also put a GG&G sidesaddle and light mount on mine.

“Everybody wants a Sig in the sheets but a Glock on the streets.” -bionic218 04-02-2014

Posts: 15251 | Location: Florida | Registered: May 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Expert308
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Pale Horse:

If you add this insert from OPSol it will reliably cycle the mini shells too and ups the capacity to 9 which makes it even more fun at the range.

Recoil is manageable with heavier loads but I keep it loaded with lower recoil buckshot. I used to keep an 18"barreled 870 next to my bed for HD but this has replaced it. It is a lot easier to move through the house with. I also put a GG&G sidesaddle and light mount on mine.

Pic?

Posts: 7262 | Location: Idaho | Registered: February 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
:^)
Picture of BillyBonesNY
posted Hide Post
Bought the Remington witness protection replica.

Fantastic little gun.

If you don't have a handgun, this is a must have.

I like the Remington as it is heavier and can double as a melee weapon as well as dampen recoil.

----------------------------------------
http://lonesurvivorfoundation.org

Posts: 7179 | Registered: March 19, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Leatherneck
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Expert308:
quote:

Pic?

Day I picked it up

Now

“Everybody wants a Sig in the sheets but a Glock on the streets.” -bionic218 04-02-2014

Posts: 15251 | Location: Florida | Registered: May 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Expert308
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
quote:

Pic?

Now

Nice. Does the light mount on the magazine cap or on the forend? Looks like mag cap...

Posts: 7262 | Location: Idaho | Registered: February 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Damnit there goes some more money. Can't sit on fence any longer.

Posts: 3718 | Registered: August 13, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Get Off My Lawn
Picture of oddball
posted Hide Post
Bought a 20g Shockwave a few months ago and it is fun to shoot. Out in front of my torso, also from the hip, at short distances a decent shooter. As posted earlier, this also serves as a backup to my AR in the house.

"I’m not going to read Time Magazine, I’m not going to read Newsweek, I’m not going to read any of these magazines; I mean, because they have too much to lose by printing the truth"- Bob Dylan, 1965

Posts: 16679 | Location: Texas | Registered: May 13, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Leatherneck
posted Hide Post
quote:

Nice. Does the light mount on the magazine cap or on the forend? Looks like mag cap...

Yeah it is on the mag cap.

Light mount

Side saddle

Little ray
of sunshine
Picture of jhe888
posted Hide Post
Generally useless.

Pistol grip shotguns are generally useless. They are already not as compact as pistols. So adding a short actual shoulder stock doesn't make them much less compact (since you won't be holstering it anyway). And pistol grip shotguns are hard to handle, and most importantly they loose the natural pointing ability of a shoulder arm.

If you use heavy loads, the recoil can be hard to deal with.

Get a real pistol, or a real shotgun.

The fish is mute, expressionless. The fish doesn't think because the fish knows everything.

Posts: 53121 | Location: Texas | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Leatherneck
posted Hide Post
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Have you fired one of these or just a vertical pistol gripped shotgun?

I never liked vertical pistol grip shotguns but this handles totally different for me. this points very well when you raise it up like a shoulder stock shotgun and I don't think it is hard to control at all.

A vertical pistol grip shotgun? I agree with most of what you say. This is a different beast. For me anyway.

Music's over turn
out the lights
Picture of David W
posted Hide Post
Pistol grip shotgun were/are hard for me to aim with, maybe my wrists are in a weird angle but it doesn't work. The raptor/birdhead or whatever it's called works and I can aim very well with it. I feel confident using it for home defense.

David W.

Rather fail with honor than succeed by fraud. -Sophocles

Posts: 3641 | Location: Winston Salem, N.C. | Registered: May 30, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Get Off My Lawn
Picture of oddball
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jhe888:

Get a real pistol, or a real shotgun.

The Shockwave is neither pistol or a traditional shotgun. If you think it is just like a pistol grip shotty, you're mistaken. It is not difficult to aim and shoot on target.

"I’m not going to read Time Magazine, I’m not going to read Newsweek, I’m not going to read any of these magazines; I mean, because they have too much to lose by printing the truth"- Bob Dylan, 1965

Posts: 16679 | Location: Texas | Registered: May 13, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post