SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  Mason's Rifle Room    Savage 10FP
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Savage 10FP Login/Join 
Picture of JPD217
posted
I think it's finally ready, swapped out the barrel for a 22" fluted threaded barrel and installed a Sharpshooter Supply competition recoil lug. Now I need to hit the range and see how it shoots.

308 10FP accutrigger
B&C Duramaxx
SSS bolt knob
20moa Farrell Base
TPS TSR-W rings
Vortex Viper HS-T 6-24x50
Harris swivel bipod
Sig SRD762 Suppressor

This message has been edited. Last edited by: JPD217,

Posts: 2585 | Location: North Dakota | Registered: August 17, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
At Jacob's Well
Picture of jaaron11
posted Hide Post
Very nice! I love my 10FP, especially for the price. I've resisted the urge to tinker with it much other than putting it in a HS Precision stock.

Two questions: Who makes the stock pack, and what's the advantage of the competition recoil lug?

J

Rak Chazak Amats

Posts: 5282 | Location: SW Missouri | Registered: May 08, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of JPD217
posted Hide Post
The stock pack is Blackhawk. The standard recoil lug is pressed metal and can vary in dimensions, the completion lug is milled and is a lot more uniform. Probably totally unnecessary.

Posts: 2585 | Location: North Dakota | Registered: August 17, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of CQB60
posted Hide Post
Please let us know what round you find the most accurate through it. Thanks

Posts: 13813 | Location: VIrtual | Registered: November 13, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Charmingly unsophisticated
Picture of AllenInAR
posted Hide Post
NECROPOST!!!! Big Grin

So how do you like the HS-T? I am thinking that's the scope I want to get for my incoming Bergara.

Also, is there a pro/con for using a base and rings as opposed to an integral mount? I was thinking of using some Talleys, like these from Amazon.

The artist formerly known as AllenInWV

Posts: 16188 | Location: Harrison, AR | Registered: February 05, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of JPD217
posted Hide Post
I like the HS-T a lot, it is clear and bright and tracks accurately and I really like the zero stop.

Can't answer your question about the integral mount, have no experience with them.

I've only shot factory ammo so far, Fed. GM match 168 and Hornady TAP Precision 168. At 100 yards the Fed. GM groups are .75", the Hornady are .5". The Hornady does better at cold bore as well, POI is almost .5" closer to POA.

I really need to get a load worked up for this barrel, just haven't had the time this year.

Web Clavin Extraordinaire
Picture of Oat_Action_Man
posted Hide Post
Is your SRD762 the direct thread? Did you have any problems with not having a tapered barrel? I read some of that on the internets and don't know if it's hogwash or not, and a SIG suppressor is at the top of my list for a first suppressor purchase (although I'd go the QD route). One of the host guns would also be a 10FP, but an older pre-Accutrigger model, so you're in a great position to answer me my question. Smile

----------------------------

Chuck Norris put the laughter in "manslaughter"

Educating the youth of America, one declension at a time.

Posts: 19837 | Location: SE PA | Registered: January 12, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I own two Savage package models, and IMO they are ideal for a low budget shooter who is not an accuracy fanatic. I've kept them just as they came out of the box.

My 308 is the 11FXP3 w/22” barrel that shoots OK but has a "snappy" recoil, even with Limbsaver. Much more fun to shoot - and more accurate - is my 223 Axis II, I got it for $200 (after a $50 rebate) with free shipping a few years ago:

http://palmettostatearmory.com...m-w-scope-22221.html

These are not precision rifles and they come with low end scopes, but the Savage packages are a great low budget option.

Posts: 15907 | Location: Eastern Iowa | Registered: May 21, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of JPD217
posted Hide Post
It is direct thread. I have not had an issue with threads not being tapered. Although I do wish that I'd thought ahead and got the QD, would make it a little easier to swap between guns.

Picture of swage
posted Hide Post
My buddy owns a Savage Stealth in 6.5 CM that uses the same barreled action. It shoots as accurate as my custom barreled Defiance Deviant using ammo I hand load for him. I have a Savage 220F I use for culling doe during shotgun season on our lease. It also shoots MOA or better. Savage somehow is able to pull off great accuracy in affordable packages.

Posts: 1865 | Location: Westlake, OH USA | Registered: October 17, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
always with a hat or sunscreen
Picture of bald1
posted Hide Post
Fantastic JPD217!

I've had my .308 FP10 1:10 heavy contour 20" barrel tactical model since 1998. Shoots 1/3 MOA with 168 and 175 grain handloads. A bit heavier than I'd like, but still.... Smile

SharpShooter Supply competition trigger w/2lb to 12oz adjustment range, kelvar-fiberglass 2.5" semi-flat wide beavertail forend thumbhole stock, and black tactical bolt handle; Warne Tactical 12L14 steel #M668M20MOA Picatinny rail matte scope mount; Tactical Precision Systems TSR #30580 30mm Rings; Leupold Vari-X III 4.5-14x50 Long Range Tactical Matte Mil-Dot scope; Butler Creek flip up scope covers; MGM Switchview scope lever model SVLVXIII; Boonie Packer sling with clingcoated Boonie locking swivels; Gibbs M8500 bipod (Parker Hale copy) w/ VersaPod 150-100 sling stud adapter; and Accuracy International bipod rubber shoes #3653 & 3654.

Certifiable member of the gun toting, septuagenarian, bucket list workin', crazed retiree, bald is beautiful club!
USN (RET), COTEP #192

Posts: 16214 | Location: Black Hills of South Dakota | Registered: June 20, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post