SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  Mason's Rifle Room    Ruger Gunsite Scout: New questions about magazines.
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Ruger Gunsite Scout: New questions about magazines. Login/Join 
You're going to feel
a little pressure...
posted
Hey all-

I just bought a Ruger Gunsite Scout rifle in .308. What do I need to know about this rifle?

My LGS had it hanging on the wall used for $519. For some reason, it sat there for 6 months with no takers. It looked so sad and unloved that I had to give it a home. I got it for $499 with 1 10-rd magazine. It has scope rings mounted in the conventional spot.

So, I need a scope, a sling, maybe a couple of more magazines? Should I mount the ASR brake so I can use the Omega supressor on it?

Anything to watch out for or fix? Everything I have read on it points to it being a very solid and reliable system.

Thoughts?

Bruce

This message has been edited. Last edited by: RNshooter,

"The designer of the gun had clearly not been instructed to beat about the bush. 'Make it evil,' he'd been told. 'Make it totally clear that this gun has a right end and a wrong end. Make it totally clear to anyone standing at the wrong end that things are going badly for them. If that means sticking all sort of spikes and prongs and blackened bits all over it then so be it. This is not a gun for hanging over the fireplace or sticking in the umbrella stand, it is a gun for going out and making people miserable with." -Douglas Adams

“It is just as difficult and dangerous to try to free a people that wants to remain servile as it is to try to enslave a people that wants to remain free."
-Niccolo Machiavelli

The trouble with fighting for human freedom is that one spends most of one's time defending scoundrels. For it is against scoundrels that oppressive laws are first aimed, and oppression must be stopped at the beginning if it is to be stopped at all. -Mencken

Posts: 4245 | Location: AK-49 | Registered: October 06, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Delta-3
posted Hide Post
I own two GSR's. One in .308 & one in 6.5 Creedmoor. Fantastic rifles! Mine have been rock solid, accurate & carry well. Ruger sells both the metal & polymer 10 rd mags. ( buy the polymer) You can also use Pmag AICS 10 rd mags. They are a little loose in the mag well but they function just fine.

Rom 13:4 If you do evil, be afraid. For he does not bear the sword in vain. For he is God's minister, an avenger to execute wrath on him who practices evil.

Posts: 702 | Location: NW Ohio but Montana is always home. | Registered: September 30, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
"Member"
Picture of cas
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by RNshooter:
What do I need to know about this rifle?

That you should ask your questions BEFORE you buy something. Wink

Posts: 21053 | Location: 18th & Fairfax  | Registered: May 17, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
You're going to feel
a little pressure...
posted Hide Post
Cas-

You are both right and funny Wink

I had done some research before buying this rifle, at least enough to know that it was a great deal on a good rifle.
Mostly, I am looking to hear what the brain-trust has learned after buying theirs and shooting them for a while.

Bruce

"The designer of the gun had clearly not been instructed to beat about the bush. 'Make it evil,' he'd been told. 'Make it totally clear that this gun has a right end and a wrong end. Make it totally clear to anyone standing at the wrong end that things are going badly for them. If that means sticking all sort of spikes and prongs and blackened bits all over it then so be it. This is not a gun for hanging over the fireplace or sticking in the umbrella stand, it is a gun for going out and making people miserable with." -Douglas Adams

“It is just as difficult and dangerous to try to free a people that wants to remain servile as it is to try to enslave a people that wants to remain free."
-Niccolo Machiavelli

The trouble with fighting for human freedom is that one spends most of one's time defending scoundrels. For it is against scoundrels that oppressive laws are first aimed, and oppression must be stopped at the beginning if it is to be stopped at all. -Mencken

Posts: 4245 | Location: AK-49 | Registered: October 06, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Just an ACARS message
with feelings
Picture of qxsoup
posted Hide Post
I have one, I got it just a few months after they were released. It's the standard .308 blued model. I have a Leupold scout scope on it with Warne QD rings. I actually shoot it more with the irons though. Be aware that the flash hider has a weird harmonic associated with it. The polymer mags are head over heels better than the stock metal mags and are substantially cheaper too. I recommend you get the metal bottom metal if you are going to keep it for a while.

I really want a 2nd in .223

220/229/228/226/P6/225/XO/SP2022/239

Posts: 3062 | Location: The Queen City (the one in Ohio) | Registered: May 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
You're going to feel
a little pressure...
posted Hide Post
Which metal bottom metal is recommended? Why?
Which polymer mags?

Bruce

-Niccolo Machiavelli

You're going to feel
a little pressure...
posted Hide Post
Does anyone use a red dot like an Aimpoint Pro on the forward scout rail?
I was thinking of a 1-6 or 1-8 mounted in the conventional location but the forward dot intrigues me.

Bruce

-Niccolo Machiavelli

Just an ACARS message
with feelings
Picture of qxsoup
posted Hide Post
quote:
Which metal bottom metal is recommended? Why?
Which polymer mags?

Bruce

Pacific tool and gauge has a real nice bottom metal product. The Ruger poly mags are great.

220/229/228/226/P6/225/XO/SP2022/239

Posts: 3062 | Location: The Queen City (the one in Ohio) | Registered: May 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
do we like the polymer stock or the wood stock?

Posts: 4548 | Location: Where ever Uncle Sam Sends Me | Registered: March 05, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of CQB60
posted Hide Post
I have the stainless 16.5” polymer in 308. It’s lighter than the wood version. It won’t establish any precision records past 400 yards but I can ding steel with mediocre ammo all day long with it and have had reliable results with the Ruger polymer mags. Love me a 6.5CM with the longer barrel if I could find one...

Posts: 13796 | Location: VIrtual | Registered: November 13, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I have the 6.5CM version myself. For hunting, I would suggest getting yourself a few of the Ruger 3 round mags. For bench shooting, you could do well with the Ruger 5 round mags. The newer Ruger polymer mags have a staggered stack so they don't hang out the bottom of the rifle as much as the Magpul AICS mags. My 10 round metal mag is in the "box" in the closet. The joy of the rifle is the light weight and the metal mag is heavy.

Ken

Oh, and get yourself a ching or rhodesian sling and practice some offhand shooting.

Posts: 1049 | Location: Oklahoma | Registered: December 28, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
quote:
Does anyone use a red dot like an Aimpoint Pro on the forward scout rail?

I don't have a Ruger Scout, but I have a number of rifles with red dots on forward scout rails, including an AK-103k, Vz. 58, Mini-14, and M1A.

For 100ish yard shooting, it's a great setup. The red dot is very easy and quick to acquire.
But if you want to shoot at several hundred yards, you'll want a magnified scout scope.

Posts: 32431 | Location: Northwest Arkansas | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
You're going to feel
a little pressure...
posted Hide Post
https://www.swfa.com/leupold-1...ut-scope-108090.html

I am thinking about this scope, for the Ruger Scout. Any experiences? It's spendy (well, for this application) but looks perfect on paper.

Bruce

-Niccolo Machiavelli

You're going to feel
a little pressure...
posted Hide Post
https://www.swfa.com/catalogse.../result/?q=LEU174177

I ended up going with a conventional scope, see above. If I absolutely fall in love with the rifle and the scout scope concept, I will consider going with the other one, in the future.

Bruce

-Niccolo Machiavelli

You're going to feel
a little pressure...
posted Hide Post
I called Ruger, today. They are sending me an owners manual, gratis. The rifle is missing the rear sight ($49.95) and the front rail ($27.95). I held off on ordering those.

Has anyone tried the XS sight systems full length rail? It is 11" long and has the rear sight integated. More options for scope placement and iron sights always available is attractive. About $93. My only concern is the possibility of the rail getting in the way of top loading the rifle.

Decisions...

Bruce

-Niccolo Machiavelli

You're going to feel
a little pressure...
posted Hide Post
I mounted the XS rail with a VX Freedom 1.5-4 scope in low rings. Flash hider came off in favor of a thread protector. Lighter, shorter, simpler.
The Rhodesian sling came in today. It works as good as it looks. Andy's Leather is top shelf and great to deal with.
I think it's done.

Bruce

https://www.andysleather.com/collections/slings

-Niccolo Machiavelli

You're going to feel
a little pressure...
posted Hide Post
I took my class with the rifle. Shotgun pattern accuracy at all ranges. 6" vertical change between sling tension and no sling tension. I am a slow thinker with a new rifle so it took me until the end of the second day to diagnose that the action was loose in the stock. A quick trip to the gunsmith shack confirmed it. I was pleased to be right and have it fixed but annoyed that I spent 2 days not hitting anything that I aimed at.

On another subject: has anyone tried the Magpul AICS pattern mags in this rifle? I hear they are better. I hope so because the stock mags could not be much worse.

Bruce

-Niccolo Machiavelli

Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
Still, a good learning experience. Now you know: shotgun-pattern accuracy with a scoped bolt rifle = check the screws (action and scope).

Posts: 32431 | Location: Northwest Arkansas | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post