SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  Mason's Rifle Room    Schmidt and Bender Scopes
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Schmidt and Bender Scopes Login/Join 
Picture of Rawny
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by JoshNC:

The 16" lightweight barrel really sheds weight on the mws. It turns it from a pig into a light handling rifle. My personal mws with lightweight barrel was sub-moa (5-round groups) with Black Hills 175gr OTM at 100 yds when I did my part. Surplus hirtenberger 147gr was right around 1moa. A friend's mws shoots the same. He also has the 16" LW barrel.

I wasn't aware LMT offers a light weigh 16"bbl. Were you simply referring to the stock chrome lined bbl?

Posts: 2640 | Location: San Hozay, KA | Registered: August 09, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Rawny:
quote:
Originally posted by JoshNC:

The 16" lightweight barrel really sheds weight on the mws. It turns it from a pig into a light handling rifle. My personal mws with lightweight barrel was sub-moa (5-round groups) with Black Hills 175gr OTM at 100 yds when I did my part. Surplus hirtenberger 147gr was right around 1moa. A friend's mws shoots the same. He also has the 16" LW barrel.

I wasn't aware LMT offers a light weigh 16"bbl. Were you simply referring to the stock chrome lined bbl?

The LW barrel has the receiver mating section turned to a medium weight contour with an aluminum collar to bring it to the correct O.D. to allow mounting/mating with the upper receiver. It sheds like 3/4 lb. it is available in chrome lined 16", chrome lined 13", and I believe SS 16" (could be wrong about the SS). It dramatically changes the rifle. The standard barrel makes it feel like a piggy nose-heavy DMR best suited for shooting off a bag or bipod. The LW barrel makes it feel like a fast handling, better balanced 308 carbine/battle rifle. Truly transformative and the LW barrels shoot very accurately based on my experience and that of two other friends.

---------------------------------------------
"AND YEA THOUGH THE HINDUS SPEAK OF KARMA, I IMPLORE YOU...GIVE HER A BREAK, LORD". - Clark W. Griswald

Posts: 2314 | Location: The South | Registered: September 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I don't know where you were going to buy it,or what price you were going to pay. But check out this link.

http://www.opticsplanet.com/sc...wer-riflescopes.html

Close to a thousand dollars less than the other sites I looked at.

Posts: 12580 | Registered: January 17, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
My experience is with the Short Dot and the PMII, of which I have 5 or so. I won't put anything else on a precision rifle now. I do have a Hensoldt I bought along the way. The glass is gorgeous and the clicks feel precise, but it does not feel nearly as durable as the S&B. I have a Zeiss Diavari on a prairie dog gun...it's a really nice hunting scope.

I use Nightforce primarily on intermediate range semi-autos. Glass is good enough and they are durable.

I dislike the variable eye-relief on the Leupold variables I've bought.

Posts: 1283 | Location: TX | Registered: March 22, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Billy346
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by wcb6092:
I don't know where you were going to buy it,or what price you were going to pay. But check out this link.

http://www.opticsplanet.com/sc...wer-riflescopes.html

Close to a thousand dollars less than the other sites I looked at.

Thanks for the link. I saw that one and was looking at it. Looks like a good value for the price. I'm trying to figure out what a $2500.00 scope has that this one doesn't.

"Like a horse has its rider, and the sky has its moon, a man has his loneliness, mistaken as pride." -Longmire

Posts: 539 | Location: Northern Virginia | Registered: January 19, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of E26R-40-BSE
posted Hide Post
You said you wanted to use the scope for precision shooting and hunting. From what I see, the Klassik scope has hunting turrets only. So you zero the scope at distance of choice, and that's it. You can't dial different elevation (or windage) for different distances (or wind). At least not easily (only by removing turret caps, and then modifying your zero).

Precision-shooting scopes use target turrets. You'll zero the scope, and can then dial additional elevation, depending on what distance you're shooting. Same for wind (though few people dial wind, they mostly hold off with use of a proper precision shooting reticle).

I suspect there will also be different glass in the Klassik and the PMII, but don't own either one.

While I don't have first-hand experience with OpticsPlanet, I've read enough on the web that would at the very least make me call them, and have them verify and swear that the scope advertised in-stock really is in-stock. There are many vendors out there that are easier to work with.

If you're really looking at a PMII, good deals can currently be had. But do read up on them, as they are known for their tunneling effect in magnifications below 8x or so. That may become an issue when hunting.

Posts: 839 | Location: Northern Colorado | Registered: November 25, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Alea iacta est
posted Hide Post
quote:

Holy crap I'm so tired of seeing that damn blog referenced when someone asks "what <x> should I buy?" there are only about a million factors that influence gear choice at that level, not the least of which is sponsorship..

But back to the topic at hand, I think s&b is overpriced for what it is. There are other optics on the market in the same price range with better reticle choices, better magnification ranges, and better support of the shooting community.

There are also scopes with the same limited reticles & magnification, and nearly the same level of glass, for substantially less money.

Posts: 15665 | Location: Location, Location  | Registered: April 09, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Alea iacta est
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Billy346:
I'm trying to figure out what a $2500.00 scope has that this one doesn't.

A reticle that doesn't suck? Target turrets? Zero stop? A million other things?

Posts: 15665 | Location: Location, Location  | Registered: April 09, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post