SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  Mason's Rifle Room    Zastava Pap-m90 AK?
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Zastava Pap-m90 AK? Login/Join 
Buy high and sell "low"
Picture of archerman
posted
I have a chance to pick up a Zastava Pap-M90 Ak in 556 it is a Century Arms build (super low serial #) it would be a cool toy, and I know the history of Century builds.

These take regular AR mags

Does anyone have one of these, and if so what do you think???

Thanks,

Archerman

Posts: 2476 | Location: N. Idaho | Registered: February 26, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gracie Allen is my
personal savior!
posted Hide Post
Only a few hundred rounds (of PPU, just because) through mine, but no problems so far.

I don't know exactly how shock proof the magazine adapter is, but it's solid, doesn't feel cheap in any way, and is apparently installed by Zastava rather than Century. The magwell was a bit too tight when I tried stuffing a Magpul in it, but aluminum mags (surplus, Brownell's) have worked just fine so far. Be advised that the mag release button is a bit stiff at the furthest end of travel, so mags may or may not simply drop free.

The tab for the gas regulator is, if not exactly flimsy, not exactly confidence-inspiring in terms of durability. Internutz scuttlebutt recommended removing the gas tube before trying to shift the adjustment rather than simply pulling the tab up and turning the knob, and I'm coward enough to follow that advice. It isn't complicated, but I have no idea where to find a replacement if I manage to break the tab.

All aftermarket stuff that fits Zastava's (AKA Yugo) 7.62x39 AKs should fit, although I'm not sure what the threading is on the muzzle for a muzzle device.

Here's a quick'n'dirty, if you have a few minutes to spare. Lots of good stuff over on the AK files as well if you're in the mood to dig a bit.

http://www.akoperatorsunionloc...ap-m90np-5-56x45-ak/

Posts: 27291 | Location: Deep in the heart of the brush country, and closing on that #&*%!?! roadrunner. Really. | Registered: February 05, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Great gun. Flawless. At least mine is.

Posts: 3483 | Location: Illinois | Registered: September 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of sourdough44
posted Hide Post
Ended up with a VZ-58 here after some detailed research, for the 7.62-39 round. I don’t know if that is a stretch or maybe you want more 5.56 compatibility.

Posts: 6132 | Location: WI | Registered: February 29, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
The high comb of the stock of the PAP was very annoying.It knocked my ear protectors off and made the rifle unpleasant to fire (in 7.62X39)

Posts: 971 | Registered: January 21, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gracie Allen is my
personal savior!
posted Hide Post
The M90NP stock is different - still a hair longer than a standard AK stock (by my finely calibrated shoulder and cheekbone, anyway) with a comb that's significantly lower than an old-fashioned OPAP buttstock. I get bitch-slapped by a standard (7.62x39) OPAP buttstock in the gums, but have never experienced that or any other discomfort with the M90NP buttstock. Then again, solving the Serbian Pimp Hand problem for an OPAP is how I learned Yugo buttstocks are easily replaced. After looking again at the NP in the house this afternoon, I can see no reason why the M90NP would be the exception if the OP opted for something from the aftermarket.

Posts: 27291 | Location: Deep in the heart of the brush country, and closing on that #&*%!?! roadrunner. Really. | Registered: February 05, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of blfuller
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by archerman:
I have a chance to pick up a Zastava Pap-M90 Ak in 556 it is a Century Arms build (super low serial #) it would be a cool toy, and I know the history of Century builds.

These take regular AR mags

Does anyone have one of these, and if so what do you think???

Thanks,

These are NOT made by the Century monkeys. They are made by Zastava in Serbia. Fear not and buy it.

Posts: 229 | Location: Eastern Washington State (dry side) | Registered: May 19, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Music's over turn
out the lights
Picture of David W
posted Hide Post
I have the M85 version 5.56 and love it, it’s solid as a rock! I have shot lots of 762 AK never loved them this changed the AK for me. I thought pretty hard about the AR mag one but ended up going 85 version on looks alone, plus I got quite a few of the mags for super cheap.

26x1.5 left is the thread, you will need to dremel off the weld if ya plan to replace it.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: David W,

David W.

Rather fail with honor than succeed by fraud. -Sophocles

Posts: 3636 | Location: Winston Salem, N.C. | Registered: May 30, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post