SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  Mason's Rifle Room    SCAR 16 almost complete
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

SCAR 16 almost complete Login/Join 
Music's over turn
out the lights
Picture of David W
posted
I finally got around to having the bbl chopped and added Parker Mountain Machine rails all around. The rails feel awesome and they look great as well. The feel of the gun is so much better now. Need optic, light, handstop and sling and sling attachment, any sugesstions? Ohh, and I need to play with the gas jets to get it running smooth on suppressed and unsuppressed.

David W.

Rather fail with honor than succeed by fraud. -Sophocles

Posts: 3636 | Location: Winston Salem, N.C. | Registered: May 30, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of m499
posted Hide Post
NICE!!! Unfortunately in a fit of "genius" I sold my SCAR 16 to consolidate rifle platforms down to only AR's... Pics like these make me regret that decision!!! Smile

Posts: 2676 | Location: OH, USA | Registered: January 30, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Need optic, light, handstop and sling and sling attachment

I'm having trouble with the almost complete part of the post. But in any case I love the PMM rails on this gun. Change the whole feel by reducing the circumference. As for the parts you are missing...I use the PMM sling attachments and can recommend those. I run a surefire scout light in a arisakadefense mlok mount and that seems to work pretty well. I'm going to give the bobro pivoting mount a try to see if I can get the light in a better place. I don't run a handstop as I don't care for them. The #1 improvement to the gun I've made is a trigger swap to the geissle. if the gun is a serious gun run an aimpoint.
In any case the SCAR 16/17 have been my favorites for a long time.
FWIW>

“So in war, the way is to avoid what is strong, and strike at what is weak.”

Posts: 10966 | Registered: October 14, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Green grass and
high tides
Picture of old rugged cross
posted Hide Post
i agree. It sure does look great. Form 4?

"Practice like you want to play in the game"

Posts: 19108 | Registered: September 21, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of 1KPerDay
posted Hide Post
Nice shorty! Clean.

---------------------------
My hovercraft is full of eels.

Posts: 3180 | Registered: February 27, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Music's over turn
out the lights
Picture of David W
posted Hide Post
I forgot that PMM made qd sockets, think I might get one up front and the one that goes on the stock. I think I'm leaning towards a T1 or T2 as well. The trigger has been swapped to a Geissle shortly after it was purchased Big Grin

quote:
Originally posted by old rugged cross:
i agree. It sure does look great. Form 4?

It's a form 1, I had it chopped downSmile

David W.

Posts: 3636 | Location: Winston Salem, N.C. | Registered: May 30, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of heckler
posted Hide Post
Nice rig.. but why did you get it chopped, SBRed? I thought FN made shorty various short barrels for the SCAR..?

Steve

Posts: 227 | Location: Northern Virginia | Registered: April 09, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of m499
posted Hide Post
The extra barrel assemblies run about $1,000.

SCAR Barrel Assemblies

.-.-.

Posts: 2676 | Location: OH, USA | Registered: January 30, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Music's over turn
out the lights
Picture of David W
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by heckler:
Nice rig.. but why did you get it chopped, SBRed? I thought FN made shorty various short barrels for the SCAR..?

Steve

As m499 said, the cost of another bbl assembly was the main factor.

David W.

Middle children
of history
Picture of Brett B
posted Hide Post
Congrats on the new SCAR, it’s looking good! To answer your original questions, here is what I would choose on your setup:

Aimpoint T2 on Scalarworks mount (or Trijicon MRO)
Magpul Mlok handstop kit
Arisaka 300 series light with remote switch
Blue force gear VCAS bush button sling
Arisaka Mlok QD sling mount (front left side)
Noveske QD flush mount (buttstock right side)

I would change your brake to the flash hider instead. With a properly tuned gas valve the recoil is very minimal so the brake isn’t really needed IMO, and the concussion on a SBR with a brake is severe. I'm using a 1.75mm gas screw shooting IMI M193 ammo and it works very well.

My 10” SBR is similar but I used the MI QD mount up front instead since I didn’t have the extra rail space that you do on my SBR.

I like much of what PMM makes but I don’t like their front QD mount since it interferes with where my support hand thumb goes. I also found the higher sling mount positions tend to make the sling interfere with the charging handle more often, so I like the lower mount positions inline with the rail better.

I also didn’t need the Noveske QD mount on this one since the KDG stock already had QD mounts, but here what the Noveske looks like on my other SCARS with factory stocks.

-------------------------
SCAR forend upgrades:
www.regosys.com
www.instagram.com/regosystems/

Posts: 2597 | Location: Midwest | Registered: September 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
RTG Parts
posted Hide Post
David your FDE 16 is looking great! Congratulations.

NRA LIFE MEMBER - NSSF MEMBER

www.RobertRTG.com for the best prices on HK, AK, MG42, Uzi parts and more.

Posts: 459 | Location: Sheridan, Wyoming | Registered: March 07, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post