SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  Mason's Rifle Room    Bolt Action Rifles With Iron Sights
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Bolt Action Rifles With Iron Sights Login/Join 
Picture of wingspar
posted
I’ve been thinking about a bolt action rifle in .223. It’s a common cartridge, low recoil plus I have a couple thousand rounds in my stash and I reload .223. I will rarely shoot beyond 100 yards. Most likely will not put a scope on it. Am thinking about another Savage Hog Hunter because they come with iron sights and I already have one in .308 that I put a custom stock on. I will put a custom stock in this one also. However, I’m open to looking at other rifles that have iron sights on them. Bolt action rifles with iron sights are not as easy to find as bolt action rifles without iron sights. This will be for plinking only. I do not hunt. So, what are some other bolt action rifles that come with iron sights? Removable magazine not a requirement.

---------------
Gary
Will Fly for Food... and more Ammo
Mosquito Lubrication Video

If Guns Cause Crime, Mine Are Defective.... Ted Nugent

Posts: 2505 | Location: Oregon | Registered: January 15, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
With bad intent
posted Hide Post
CZ 527 Carbine would be on my list

Posts: 7912 | Location: One step ahead of you | Registered: February 10, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
CZ 527

Posts: 32430 | Location: Northwest Arkansas | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
PopeDaddy
Picture of x0225095
posted Hide Post

Posts: 4200 | Location: ALABAMA | Registered: January 05, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Non-Miscreant
posted Hide Post
Down in the dungeon I have one.. Somewhere. I even remember the serial #, 202. I think it was a first month rifle made by Winchester. They called it a model 70. It just feels right in my hands. Yeah, its an antique, sort of. I do think Remington made some decent guns way back, before they moved to defective triggers. Good old fashioned 'merican rifles. Made by honest working folks to the highest standards.

If you go looking a bit, you can also find nice rifles made by Browning and others. I know, they're not new. But some of us tend to prefer preused and experienced rifles. Ya know, most guns aren't "used up" when sent on their way to a new owner. And they don't usually cost an arm and a leg.

Unhappy ammo seeker

Posts: 18385 | Location: Kentucky, USA | Registered: February 25, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of wingspar
posted Hide Post
I have a CZ 527 in 7.62x39. I kind of want something that comes with a cheap stock as I want to put a nice custom stock on it. The CZ 527 is a nice gun, but not one I’d want to replace the stock as soon as I get the gun, or at all. I like my CZ 527 as it is and that set trigger is sweet.

---------------
Gary

Posts: 2505 | Location: Oregon | Registered: January 15, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Another CZ vote Smile

Posts: 1485 | Location: Kansas City  | Registered: June 06, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
If I needed fixed sights, the CZ would be my pick as well.

Posts: 934 | Location: WV | Registered: May 30, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gracie Allen is my
personal savior!
posted Hide Post
Some Zastavas should be coming back on the market soon.

But the CZ is a better rifle.

Posts: 27291 | Location: Deep in the heart of the brush country, and closing on that #&*%!?! roadrunner. Really. | Registered: February 05, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Like a party
in your pants
Picture of armored
posted Hide Post
I bought a Weatherby DGR (Dangerous Game Rifle) in 375 Weatherby magnum. It came with factory iron sights. I added a 1-6 scope attached with QD mounts.

Posts: 4609 | Location: Chicago, IL, USA: | Registered: November 17, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
The Mossberg MVP Patrol has iron sights, and is offered in 5.56. It uses AR magazines.

https://www.mossberg.com/produ...-patrol-rifle-27716/

Ruger's Scout Rifle was also offered in 5.56. That chambering is currently discontinued, but there are still rifles available from a few online retailers. (This one has it on sale for $589: https://gunprime.com/product/r...e-scout-ss-223-6825/ )

Posts: 32430 | Location: Northwest Arkansas | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
With bad intent
posted Hide Post
CZ 527 is available with plastic stock: 03059

Posts: 7912 | Location: One step ahead of you | Registered: February 10, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of wingspar
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by WARPIG602:
CZ 527 is available with plastic stock: 03059

I thought I’d replied to this, but found link to this thread in email. Missed it. No such number exists on the CZ site. Where did you find this?

---------------
Gary

Picture of wingspar
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by RogueJSK:
The Mossberg MVP Patrol has iron sights, and is offered in 5.56. It uses AR magazines.

https://www.mossberg.com/produ...-patrol-rifle-27716/

Ruger's Scout Rifle was also offered in 5.56. That chambering is currently discontinued, but there are still rifles available from a few online retailers. (This one has it on sale for $589: https://gunprime.com/product/r...e-scout-ss-223-6825/

2 really nice options, but I really don’t like magazines that stick out below the stock on bolt action rifles. It’s looking like another Hog Hunter might get added to my other one.

---------------
Gary

posted Hide Post
I have a Rem 700 VSSF. Iron sights should be easy to add.
Mine's scoped and in a Plaster Varmint stock with a Jewell trigger.
It hold 6 rounds I believe in its internal magazine.

It's an absolute, honest to goodness sub-MOA rifle when I do my part.

But it did require some additional work to meet my needs.

Posts: 957 | Registered: March 16, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of sourdough44
posted Hide Post
Don’t rule out the used market, if you find that gem. Not that I needed it, but I recently bought a Ruger 77RS ‘Flatbolt’ in 284 Win. The year of manufacturer is 1970 with a Douglas barrel.

It has iron sights, very rich bluing, easily adjustable trigger.

Posts: 6132 | Location: WI | Registered: February 29, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Wait, what?
Picture of gearhounds
posted Hide Post
quote:
Ruger's Scout Rifle was also offered in 5.56. That chambering is currently discontinued, but there are still rifles available from a few online retailers. (This one has it on sale for $589: https://gunprime.com/product/r...e-scout-ss-223-6825/ )

That rifle is a thing of beauty and convenient in the extreme for options.

“Remember to get vaccinated or a vaccinated person might get sick from a virus they got vaccinated against because you’re not vaccinated.” - author unknown

Posts: 15501 | Location: Martinsburg WV | Registered: April 02, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by wingspar:
2 really nice options, but I really don’t like magazines that stick out below the stock on bolt action rifles. It’s looking like another Hog Hunter might get added to my other one.

How about the Ruger M77 African in .223? It's discontinued, but you could look for one on the secondary market.

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sourdough44:
Don’t rule out the used market, if you find that gem. Not that I needed it, but I recently bought a Ruger 77RS ‘Flatbolt’ in 284 Win. The year of manufacturer is 1970 with a Douglas barrel.

It has iron sights, very rich bluing, easily adjustable trigger.

Sust FYI, don't expect much from a Douglas barrel. They are third tier at best and in the 70s they were not much better than a water pipe.

I have an old Ruger M77 from 1982 with a Douglas barrel that never shot really well until I pulled that barrel and replaced it with a Broughton. At that point I used in in F-Class competition until I speced out and got my current match rifle built about 7 years ago.

Posts: 3398 | Location: Texas | Registered: June 20, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I have a Remington model 7 in 7mm08 that came with iron sights. It's a nice compact rifle and is also chambered in .223

Posts: 225 | Location: Southern, PA | Registered: July 25, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post