SIGforum
Bolt Action Rifles With Iron Sights

This topic can be found at:
https://sigforum.com/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/630601935/m/2630068754

June 14, 2019, 07:18 PM
wingspar
Bolt Action Rifles With Iron Sights
I’ve been thinking about a bolt action rifle in .223. It’s a common cartridge, low recoil plus I have a couple thousand rounds in my stash and I reload .223. I will rarely shoot beyond 100 yards. Most likely will not put a scope on it. Am thinking about another Savage Hog Hunter because they come with iron sights and I already have one in .308 that I put a custom stock on. I will put a custom stock in this one also. However, I’m open to looking at other rifles that have iron sights on them. Bolt action rifles with iron sights are not as easy to find as bolt action rifles without iron sights. This will be for plinking only. I do not hunt. So, what are some other bolt action rifles that come with iron sights? Removable magazine not a requirement.

---------------
Gary
Will Fly for Food... and more Ammo
Mosquito Lubrication Video

If Guns Cause Crime, Mine Are Defective.... Ted Nugent
June 14, 2019, 08:05 PM
WARPIG602
CZ 527 Carbine would be on my list

June 14, 2019, 08:08 PM
RogueJSK
CZ 527

June 14, 2019, 08:53 PM
x0225095
CZ 527

Carbine or Lux

https://cz-usa.com/product-category/rifles/

0:01
June 14, 2019, 08:56 PM
rburg
Down in the dungeon I have one.. Somewhere. I even remember the serial #, 202. I think it was a first month rifle made by Winchester. They called it a model 70. It just feels right in my hands. Yeah, its an antique, sort of. I do think Remington made some decent guns way back, before they moved to defective triggers. Good old fashioned 'merican rifles. Made by honest working folks to the highest standards.

If you go looking a bit, you can also find nice rifles made by Browning and others. I know, they're not new. But some of us tend to prefer preused and experienced rifles. Ya know, most guns aren't "used up" when sent on their way to a new owner. And they don't usually cost an arm and a leg.

Unhappy ammo seeker
June 14, 2019, 09:02 PM
wingspar
I have a CZ 527 in 7.62x39. I kind of want something that comes with a cheap stock as I want to put a nice custom stock on it. The CZ 527 is a nice gun, but not one I’d want to replace the stock as soon as I get the gun, or at all. I like my CZ 527 as it is and that set trigger is sweet.

---------------
Gary

June 14, 2019, 09:23 PM
alptraum
Another CZ vote Smile
June 14, 2019, 09:38 PM
jaybirdaccountant
If I needed fixed sights, the CZ would be my pick as well.
June 14, 2019, 11:08 PM
Il Cattivo
Some Zastavas should be coming back on the market soon.

But the CZ is a better rifle.
June 14, 2019, 11:23 PM
armored
I bought a Weatherby DGR (Dangerous Game Rifle) in 375 Weatherby magnum. It came with factory iron sights. I added a 1-6 scope attached with QD mounts.
June 15, 2019, 08:17 AM
RogueJSK
The Mossberg MVP Patrol has iron sights, and is offered in 5.56. It uses AR magazines.

https://www.mossberg.com/produ...-patrol-rifle-27716/

Ruger's Scout Rifle was also offered in 5.56. That chambering is currently discontinued, but there are still rifles available from a few online retailers. (This one has it on sale for $589: https://gunprime.com/product/r...e-scout-ss-223-6825/ )

June 15, 2019, 10:45 AM
WARPIG602
CZ 527 is available with plastic stock: 03059

July 01, 2019, 02:27 PM
wingspar
quote:
Originally posted by WARPIG602:
CZ 527 is available with plastic stock: 03059

I thought I’d replied to this, but found link to this thread in email. Missed it. No such number exists on the CZ site. Where did you find this?

---------------
Gary

July 01, 2019, 02:30 PM
wingspar
quote:
Originally posted by RogueJSK:
The Mossberg MVP Patrol has iron sights, and is offered in 5.56. It uses AR magazines.

https://www.mossberg.com/produ...-patrol-rifle-27716/

Ruger's Scout Rifle was also offered in 5.56. That chambering is currently discontinued, but there are still rifles available from a few online retailers. (This one has it on sale for $589: https://gunprime.com/product/r...e-scout-ss-223-6825/

2 really nice options, but I really don’t like magazines that stick out below the stock on bolt action rifles. It’s looking like another Hog Hunter might get added to my other one.

---------------
Gary

July 01, 2019, 03:06 PM
drshame
I have a Rem 700 VSSF. Iron sights should be easy to add.
Mine's scoped and in a Plaster Varmint stock with a Jewell trigger.
It hold 6 rounds I believe in its internal magazine.

It's an absolute, honest to goodness sub-MOA rifle when I do my part.

But it did require some additional work to meet my needs.

July 02, 2019, 07:04 AM
sourdough44
Don’t rule out the used market, if you find that gem. Not that I needed it, but I recently bought a Ruger 77RS ‘Flatbolt’ in 284 Win. The year of manufacturer is 1970 with a Douglas barrel.

It has iron sights, very rich bluing, easily adjustable trigger.
July 02, 2019, 07:29 AM
gearhounds
quote:
Ruger's Scout Rifle was also offered in 5.56. That chambering is currently discontinued, but there are still rifles available from a few online retailers. (This one has it on sale for $589: https://gunprime.com/product/r...e-scout-ss-223-6825/ )

That rifle is a thing of beauty and convenient in the extreme for options.

“Remember to get vaccinated or a vaccinated person might get sick from a virus they got vaccinated against because you’re not vaccinated.” - author unknown
July 02, 2019, 07:53 AM
RogueJSK
quote:
Originally posted by wingspar:
2 really nice options, but I really don’t like magazines that stick out below the stock on bolt action rifles. It’s looking like another Hog Hunter might get added to my other one.

How about the Ruger M77 African in .223? It's discontinued, but you could look for one on the secondary market.

July 02, 2019, 02:06 PM
NikonUser
quote:
Originally posted by sourdough44:
Don’t rule out the used market, if you find that gem. Not that I needed it, but I recently bought a Ruger 77RS ‘Flatbolt’ in 284 Win. The year of manufacturer is 1970 with a Douglas barrel.

It has iron sights, very rich bluing, easily adjustable trigger.

Sust FYI, don't expect much from a Douglas barrel. They are third tier at best and in the 70s they were not much better than a water pipe.

I have an old Ruger M77 from 1982 with a Douglas barrel that never shot really well until I pulled that barrel and replaced it with a Broughton. At that point I used in in F-Class competition until I speced out and got my current match rifle built about 7 years ago.
July 02, 2019, 05:50 PM
shkuhn
I have a Remington model 7 in 7mm08 that came with iron sights. It's a nice compact rifle and is also chambered in .223