SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  Mason's Rifle Room    Kimber 308 opinions
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Kimber 308 opinions Login/Join 
Picture of dmac82
posted
I have been hunting deer the past few years with my AR15 in 223 with a Nosler bullet. I'm looking at getting a more deer hunting specific rifle and have been looking at the Kimber Adirondack 308. I mostly hunt in a tree stand. I also Would like it to be suppress-able.

Should I be considering something else? I was interested in a AAC MODEL 7 300 BLACKOUT. However I am new to hunting and don't really know what I should be looking for.

Posts: 634 | Location: lost in the mountains | Registered: November 30, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of sourdough44
posted Hide Post
Seems like a very handy, lightweight rifle. I do like light & compact when one is climbing stands or moving around.

I didn't check the price, I imagine at or above $1k? The 308 is a great deer round, I do know that.
It is threaded and ready for the suppressor, that's a plus. No experience with Kimber here.

Posts: 6130 | Location: WI | Registered: February 29, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
With bad intent
posted Hide Post
Caliber wise, nothing wrong with a 308. The Kimber isn't a bad rifle either. If it were my money id look at the Tikka T3X CTR 20in. It will shoot as well as rifles costing twice as much, has a smooth action and the barrel is threaded as well. Can be had for under 900 in 308, 260 or 6.5cm. All of those calibers are superb Deer calibers

Posts: 7912 | Location: One step ahead of you | Registered: February 10, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
fugitive from reality
Picture of SgtGold
posted Hide Post
I would do some research and see if there are any problems with that particular model, and what level of support is available if you want to start changing thing around. Kimbers are not out there in the same numbers that Remingtons and Savage products are and there may not be much support.

Posts: 7069 | Location: Newyorkistan | Registered: March 28, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Kimber makes an awesome rifle and the Adirondack is a sweet rig, I'm thinking about getting one in 6.5cm. Right now, my go to rifle is a kimber Montana 308, It's my moose/caribou/blacktail set up and it's a keeper for sure. With the scope and talley lite/low rings it's barely 6lbs so it's awesome to carry around.

I mostly shoot 150g TTSXs out of it and never have issues getting groups of an inch or less.

The Adirondack and mountain ascent rifles really aren't that much lighter than a Montana and cost a lot more, I was interested in a mountain ascent but it was like 600 dollars more for 5oz weight savings in 308, I decided to just use the $$$ towards optics.

Posts: 5082 | Location: Alaska | Registered: June 12, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
With bad intent
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by newmexican:
Kimber makes an awesome rifle and the Adirondack is a sweet rig, I'm thinking about getting one in 6.5cm. Right now, my go to rifle is a kimber Montana 308, It's my moose/caribou/blacktail set up and it's a keeper for sure. With the scope and talley lite/low rings it's barely 6lbs so it's awesome to carry around.

I mostly shoot 150g TTSXs out of it and never have issues getting groups of an inch or less.

The Adirondack and mountain ascent rifles really aren't that much lighter than a Montana and cost a lot more, I was interested in a mountain ascent but it was like 600 dollars more for 5oz weight savings in 308, I decided to just use the $$$ towards optics.

Excellent point, especially considering its a treestand gun and you wont be logging very many miles with it on your shoulder.

Posts: 7912 | Location: One step ahead of you | Registered: February 10, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bolt Thrower
Picture of Voshterkoff
posted Hide Post
The new Kimber Hunter is quite a bit more reasonably priced. The downsides are that it isn't threaded and the magazine doesn't inspire confidence.

Posts: 9947 | Location: Woodinville, WA | Registered: March 30, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of dmac82
posted Hide Post
So the Mountain has a 22" barrel; the Montana 26; and the Adirondack 18. I'm thinking the shorter barrel would have an advantage when I attach a suppressor. It wouldn't be crazy leverage with the extra weight. I do think saving a little money for optics is a good idea, but it's the longest of the barrels. Either way it's a big purchase, so don't blame me for over thinking this!

Posts: 634 | Location: lost in the mountains | Registered: November 30, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I believe the only Montanas that have 26" barrels are the magnums, my 308 has a 22".

Posts: 5082 | Location: Alaska | Registered: June 12, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I have a buddy who started with a Montana and modded it until it was lighter than a mountain ascent.

I have a titanium bolt handle and trigger guard for mine but haven't put them on yet, I've also considered chopping 2" off the barrel.