SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  Mason's Rifle Room    targets and iron sights
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

targets and iron sights Login/Join 
posted
on your rifle with Iron sights ,
regardless of the caliber you choose,

at what distance can you consistently hit either a 10" dia. circle or an 8 1/2 x 11" rectangle ?

I would be interested in the rifle and caliber of choice.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: bendable,

Safety, Situational Awareness and proficiency.

Neck Ties, Hats and ammo brass, Never ,ever touch'em w/o asking first

Posts: 54501 | Location: Henry County , Il | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Standing or bench rest?

Posts: 17176 | Location: Stuck at home | Registered: January 02, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
either or, whichever.

Posts: 54501 | Location: Henry County , Il | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of maladat
posted Hide Post
With the right sights and the right target, iron sights are not much less precise than a high magnification scope.

In this context, the right sights are aperture sights.

The rear sight is a peep sight.

The front sight has a circular hood that almost but not quite fills the peep. This lets you center the front sight very precisely in the peep. Inside the hood, the front sight itself is a smaller circular ring.

The combination of the opening size of the front sight, the size of the bullseye on the target, and the range to the target is chosen so that the bullseye almost but not quite fills the front sight aperture. This lets you center the bullseye very precisely in the front sight.

There are 1000-yard matches shot with rifles with aperture sights (e.g., long range NRA High Power matches). The X-ring on the 1000 yard target is 10 inches and high-level competitors put a lot of shots inside the X-ring.

Posts: 6319 | Location: CA | Registered: January 24, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fight, Build, Destroy.
Sappers Lead the Way!!
Picture of Zacsquatch
posted Hide Post
We have a 300meter 12" steel gong at our local rifle range that I can hit constantly with my 18" A2 build. It has a KNS front sight that has a V-notch or /\ point depending on what way you turn it, and is quite easy to be accurate with.

Trying to figure out what I want to be when I grow up

Posts: 4597 | Location: Winchester, KY | Registered: December 31, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
wow!
thats pretty cool.

I wonder if I should have stipulated
8 target hits out of ten shots.

would that make a difference ?

Hop head
Picture of lyman
posted Hide Post
300 yrd gong, (a bit bigger than stipulated) offhand with a garand was easy,

thinking that gong is maybe 24" but not sure, been a while since I have been to the club

8.5x11 sheet of paper, easy offhand with an AR18 or an A2 type AR. at 200

eta, used a Marlin 39a 22lr to hit that target from a rest consistently (9/10) at 200

go prone and that distance will increase significantly, 600 or so using an AR

https://www.chesterfieldarmament.com/

Posts: 10410 | Location: Beach VA,not VA Beach | Registered: July 17, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Still finding my way
Picture of Ryanp225
posted Hide Post
I'm very comfortable at 200yds standing with my 10.5" AR. Sitting with my 16" rifle I'd say 300.

Posts: 10827 | Registered: January 04, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Yeah, that M14 video guy...
Picture of benny6
posted Hide Post
300 yards off a bench or prone. More if I shot matches and became proficient.
Tony.

Owner, TonyBen, LLC, Type-07 FFL
www.tonybenm14.com (Site under construction).
e-mail: tonyben@tonybenm14.com

Posts: 5373 | Location: Auburndale, FL | Registered: February 13, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Hop head
Picture of lyman
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by bendable:

at what distance can you consistently hit either a 10" dia. circle or an 8 1/2 x 11" rectangle ?

Service Rifle target sizes

https://rulebooks.nra.org/docu...oks/HPR/hpr-book.pdf

200yrd (off hand and sitting rapid) targets are 7" for the 10 ring and 13" for the 9 ring

cleans (all 10's) are done in offhand,

same disciple, the 600 yrd 10 ring is 13",

if you can read the wind and hold position, that can also be a clean (not be me!!)

Posts: 10410 | Location: Beach VA,not VA Beach | Registered: July 17, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
SIG-Sauer
Anthropologist
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by lyman:
quote:
Originally posted by bendable:

Service Rifle target sizes

https://rulebooks.nra.org/docu...oks/HPR/hpr-book.pdf

200yrd (off hand and sitting rapid) targets are 7" for the 10 ring and 13" for the 9 ring

cleans (all 10's) are done in offhand,

same disciple, the 600 yrd 10 ring is 13",

if you can read the wind and hold position, that can also be a clean (not be me!!)

ditto

Swiss rifle competition has similar rules except eqippment has to be stock, we only are shooting at 300m and the target size is the international 300m ISSF target. 10 ring = 3.9"; 9 = 7.9"; 8 = 11.9". I'm using a SIG 550/GP90 for 20 years, before it was a SIG 510/GP11, sometimes a K31 with diopter sights /GP11, always shot prone either with sling or from bipod. 10 rounds into the 9 is a decent result which can be achieved with a bit of training.

Posts: 3773 | Location: Switzerland | Registered: January 24, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
pretty amazing stuff

Experienced Slacker
posted Hide Post
This is a case of "It's the indian not the arrow" under most circumstances - IMO anyway.

Now I will admit aging eyes do play a role at some point, but I'd still say it's mostly a matter of dedicated practice.

Posts: 7486 | Registered: May 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
fugitive from reality
Picture of SgtGold
posted Hide Post
600 yards with any centerfire cartridge moving out st 2,600 FPS or better.

Posts: 7069 | Location: Newyorkistan | Registered: March 28, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Yeah, that M14 video guy...
Picture of benny6
posted Hide Post
Looks like I undersold myself. Here's a target I shot just before I shot a match two years ago. I built and bedded the rifle myself. This is my personal rifle and not a customer's.

Obviously, 308. Load data is written on the target.

4.39" at 300. Theoretically, that would still be under 10" at 600, so I'm probably good to at least 400 or 500.

Tony.

Owner, TonyBen, LLC, Type-07 FFL
www.tonybenm14.com (Site under construction).
e-mail: tonyben@tonybenm14.com

Posts: 5373 | Location: Auburndale, FL | Registered: February 13, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Hop head
Picture of lyman
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by benny6:
Looks like I undersold myself. Here's a target I shot just before I shot a match two years ago. I built and bedded the rifle myself. This is my personal rifle and not a customer's.

Obviously, 308. Load data is written on the target.

4.39" at 300. Theoretically, that would still be under 10" at 600, so I'm probably good to at least 400 or 500.

Tony.

a few clicks up and that would have been a clean!!

nice group for rapid sitting

posted Hide Post
K31 100yrds.

Posts: 735 | Registered: February 25, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
My lever actions in 30-30, 44M and 32WS use the Williams receiver sights.
My eyes are soon to be 63 years old.
At 100 yds, If I work at it, I can hold about a 3 inch group on a 10 inch paper plate.
This is a $40 sight improvement over the factory sights.
Any further out, the cartridge limits performance. But I can and have hit pop cans at 150.
And If I scope these guns, I could maybe, possibly shrink that by about an inch. Maybe.
So... for me a receiver sight is a great option.
My el-cheapo DPMS AR build will do about the same with the flip up sights I use with this gun.
I am comfortable with iron sights.

End of Earth: 2 Miles
Upper Peninsula: 4 Miles

Posts: 16005 | Location: Marquette MI | Registered: July 08, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Let's be careful
out there
posted Hide Post
the best I can do isn't very good any more. I couldn't hit a bull in the ass with a banjo.
Inside 100 meters I'm still pretty deadly; past that, I just can't see well enough.

Posts: 7333 | Location: NW OHIO | Registered: May 29, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Master of one hand
pistol shooting
Picture of Hamden106
posted Hide Post
Some years ago I had great shots offhand with a 3006 Model 54 and a WJS type peep sight at 200 yds. Now the eyes are not quite that good. At 100yds I can still do ok if the target is clear.
Real fun was 200yd prone smallbore with metallic sights
Maybe I should break out the A2 for some 200yds.

SIGnature
NRA Benefactor CMP Pistol Distinguished

Posts: 6295 | Location: Oregon | Registered: September 01, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post