SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  Mason's Rifle Room    Modifying A Lancer L5AWM 30-Round Magazine?
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Modifying A Lancer L5AWM 30-Round Magazine? Login/Join 
Nullus Anxietas
Picture of ensigmatic
posted
In an earlier thread, Loading a 30 round P Mag, member bubbatime noted:

quote:

As to Lancer 30 rd mags, they designed them so that you could barely get 30 rds into them. They have a limiter tab built into the bottom lockplate that must be ground down. Lancer posted about this perhaps 5 years ago on one of the internet boards and advised folks to just grind off the limiter if they didn't live in a location that mandated 30/20 rd mags only.

Is the thing I have circled in the image below the limiter to which he was referring?

"America is at that awkward stage. It's too late to work within the system,,,, but too early to shoot the bastards." -- Claire Wolfe
"If we let things terrify us, life will not be worth living." -- Seneca the Younger, Roman Stoic philosopher

Posts: 26009 | Location: S.E. Michigan | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Greymann
posted Hide Post
Looks right, the nub to cut down is at bottom of the magazine. The stop ( nub) should be cut down to a height of .188 .
I'll try and get a picture up , I've modified several.

Posts: 1540 | Location: New Mexico | Registered: March 21, 2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nullus Anxietas
Picture of ensigmatic
posted Hide Post
Thanks! 0.188 inches? Seems like an odd number.

ETA: Is that 0.188" the nub's height above the base plate, or the overall height including the thickness of the base plate?

"America is at that awkward stage. It's too late to work within the system,,,, but too early to shoot the bastards." -- Claire Wolfe
"If we let things terrify us, life will not be worth living." -- Seneca the Younger, Roman Stoic philosopher

Posts: 26009 | Location: S.E. Michigan | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Greymann
posted Hide Post
The base that holds spring is .125 thick, the stop height plus bottom is .450 , so stop is
.325 tall from factory.
The stop height after being modified
should be .188 above spring plate. Plus the spring plate of .125 will make total overall height of .313 .
You need to remove approx. .137, this info was from Lancers website about 3-4 yrs ago. The link I saved no longer works, but I wrote down info so not to forget.

I never had an issue loading 30 rounds, but the information on Lancer's website said some had trouble inserting their magazines with 30 rounds into a rifle with closed bolt.

Posts: 1540 | Location: New Mexico | Registered: March 21, 2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nullus Anxietas
Picture of ensigmatic
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the info, Greymann!

quote:
Originally posted by Greymann:
I never had an issue loading 30 rounds, but the information on Lancer's website said some had trouble inserting their magazines with 30 rounds into a rifle with closed bolt.

That is exactly my issue. I had no problems loading 30 rounds, but then, one day, I got the idea to actually try to insert a mag on a closed bolt. (Imagine!) It can be done, but only with significant effort.

So it's either fix the mags or download to 28 rounds.

Now to come up with a 0.188" gauge of some type...

Picture of Greymann
posted Hide Post
3/16 drill bit, probably would work as a gage. Doesn't need to be exact.

Nullus Anxietas
Picture of ensigmatic
posted Hide Post
Found a couple washers that, when stacked, come out to, believe-it-or-not, 0.188" Smile

Go ahead punk, make my day
posted Hide Post
Yeah, the slick texture and issue inserting a loaded magazine on a closed bolt convinced me to sell my Lancers and go all NHMTG/Okay & PMAG for AR mags.

Posts: 45798 | Registered: July 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
That rug really tied
the room together.
Picture of bubbatime
posted Hide Post
Don't worry about .188. Just shave them all the way down. All of mine are shaved down, and they work and function MUCH better without that limiter nonsense.

Posts: 6660 | Location: Floriduh | Registered: October 16, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post