SIGforum
Marlin 1894CST - has anyone seen/fondled/bought/shot one yet?

This topic can be found at:
https://sigforum.com/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/630601935/m/2600066064

September 04, 2019, 10:10 PM
hudr
Marlin 1894CST - has anyone seen/fondled/bought/shot one yet?
We have had the topic of threaded lever action guns come up fairly often. Heck, I think I’ve started several of them myself.
So....
I am very interested in this model Marlin. It seems they may have gotten their QC issues worked out since their purchase by Remington.
I have thought in the past about getting my 1894CSS threaded, but there is Quite a bit to it on a lever gun. Recutting the sight dovetail, cutting the mag tube (and making it work), re-pinning the mag tube to the barrel....
I think I’d just rather have one threaded from the factory.
And yes, I’ve seen GarandThumb’s video on YouTube.
September 05, 2019, 12:12 AM
PorterN
I am interested in the CST as well.

I just bought a new Marlin 1894CB (Cowboy) model last month. It's been tight, a bit stiff, but works real well. I've put 200 rounds through it already and can tell it's getting more smooth. The fit and finish is great, though. no complaints by that measure. and the rifle is seriously accurate.

The first CST i held felt like it had an action made of sandpaper, but that was back when they initially released them and my LGS had one in stock. I want to follow this thread, though. I'm interested in other's experiences as well.

September 05, 2019, 11:40 AM
gibby29
Is that the stainless finish with black furniture and a threaded barrel? If so, I have one.

I bought the first one I saw because I figured like most .357 levers it would be hard to find.

I’ve had it out a couple of times and it’s works well. Fairly smooth, decent trigger and seems well assembled.

If I had to point out one flaw, it would be that the stock is not fit as well as my Henry’s but it’s a minor nit.
September 05, 2019, 12:09 PM
Stlhead
If you have a decent can to slap on it and any desire to get one, just do it. With most 38 loads it is a total hoot. 357 loads are just louder, but still pleasant to shoot. Worth the money and space in the safe.
September 05, 2019, 05:13 PM
hudr
What is the size and pitch on the barrel threads?
September 05, 2019, 06:07 PM
Stlhead
Mine is threaded 1/2"x28. Not sure why they went with a .223 muzzle threading instead of the typical 9mm threading of 1/2"x36, but I have mount for my 9mm can that works, so no bother to me. Just don't slap a .223 can on it!
September 05, 2019, 06:40 PM
CQB60
Looks like a fun gun

September 05, 2019, 11:16 PM
Tommydogg
I've had one in a shopping cart a couple of times, does that count? It means that one day I wont be able to resist! My left hemisphere sometimes whispers that they wont want my lever guns some day!

Beth Greene
September 09, 2019, 07:57 PM
TAP
I have one enroute. Should be here next week. Really looking forward to it based upon the reviews I found.
September 09, 2019, 10:49 PM
KML
quote:
Originally posted by Stlhead:
Mine is threaded 1/2"x28. Not sure why they went with a .223 muzzle threading instead of the typical 9mm threading of 1/2"x36, but I have mount for my 9mm can that works, so no bother to me. Just don't slap a .223 can on it!

1/2 x 28 is standard 9mm threading the only 1/2 x 36 thread I know of is for a 9mm AR-15
September 10, 2019, 05:43 AM
SIGfourme
I fondled the CSBL and the CST at the LGS. I wasn’t that impressed with the stock on the CST- a black , blah stock. The owner of the LGS said there was enough barrel in front of the CSBL to thread without moving the sight. His gunsmith could do it , I needed to confirm the thread pitch. A week later- the perfect 1894. Stainless with the laminated stock - threaded 1/2 x 28.
Yes, the action is better than early Remington Marlins. A quick polishing of the bolt and lever did make it really smooth.