SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  Mason's Rifle Room    Ruger No. 1?
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Ruger No. 1? Login/Join 
posted Hide Post
I have one in 30-06. It's actually accurate enough at about 1 MOA. I've used it for a variety of animals. It's a classy rifle.

Ignem Feram

Posts: 528 | Registered: October 03, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Smarter than the
average bear
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sigcrazy7:
quote:
Originally posted by honestlou:
Now to decide on a scope. I'm thinking minimalist, like maybe a fixed 4 power. Most likely this will be used for deer, with a maximum of a 300 yard shot.

Since I have five of these, I have a variety of scopes on them. By far my favorite is a Leupold VX3i 2-7x33 . The Leupold has great lines, and the smaller scope interferes less with the loading ramp.

I see the VX2 in the 2-7, but not the VX3, which the closest I can find is a 2.5-8X36. That seems like a pretty good fit, but I'm wondering what your opinion is of the VX3 vs the VX2.

Posts: 3435 | Location: Baton Rouge, Louisiana | Registered: June 20, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
A Leupold 1x5 or 1x6 short tube is ideal on the 1A 7x57mm I have.

The 7mm-08 is a great cartridge. Nice pick.

Posts: 14 | Location: Northern Neck, Virginia | Registered: November 12, 2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of sigcrazy7
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
quote:
Now to decide on a scope. I'm thinking minimalist, like maybe a fixed 4 power. Most likely this will be used for deer, with a maximum of a 300 yard shot.

Since I have five of these, I have a variety of scopes on them. By far my favorite is a Leupold VX3i 2-7x33 . The Leupold has great lines, and the smaller scope interferes less with the loading ramp.

I see the VX2 in the 2-7, but not the VX3, which the closest I can find is a 2.5-8X36. That seems like a pretty good fit, but I'm wondering what your opinion is of the VX3 vs the VX2.

That's the one, 2.5-8. I always forget how Leupold has magnification a little different between the VX2 and 3. The new VX2 is a great scope. It's the same scope as the VXIII of ten years ago or
so. The VX3i has some newer tech like blackening around the sight picture and double springs on the erector.

I mostly buy in the VX3 range, and don't own any VX2s, except one that came on a used rifle (VXII). I think it's older and doesn't compare directly with a new VX2. Having said that, it's a fine scope and holds zero on a 338 Win Mag.

Demand not that events should happen as you wish; but wish them to happen as they do happen, and you will go on well. -Epictetus

Posts: 8215 | Location: Utah | Registered: December 18, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of sigcrazy7
posted Hide Post
I'll be home next week. If this thread is still alive, I'll post some pics of my No.1s with the different scopes so you can see the difference.

Demand not that events should happen as you wish; but wish them to happen as they do happen, and you will go on well. -Epictetus

Posts: 8215 | Location: Utah | Registered: December 18, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Smarter than the
average bear
posted Hide Post
quote:
I'll be home next week. If this thread is still alive, I'll post some pics of my No.1s with the different scopes so you can see the difference.

I'd appreciate that. I'd also like to know if you've had any issues with eye relief as I've read about.

Posts: 3435 | Location: Baton Rouge, Louisiana | Registered: June 20, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of sigcrazy7
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:

I'd appreciate that. I'd also like to know if you've had any issues with eye relief as I've read about.

That's one of the strengths of a Leupold. They have more eye relief than some others. For the Zeiss on my 30-06, I have some offset rings to bring it back more. But you really have to reach under the scope's bulky eye box to load and unload the rifle.

Picture of sigcrazy7
posted Hide Post
I have these on the No.1 with the Zeiss.

https://ads.midwayusa.com/prod...EEAQYASABEgJLzPD_BwE

The rear ring is offset so the scope can be mounted farther back. This should solve any eye relief concerns you may have.

posted Hide Post
I have one in 30-06 and while it dosent shoot as good as my Tika rifles it is great on deer. For the opener it colected a 7point just fine. Mine is the short barrel and with a 3x Leupold it is a joy to carry. Get one and be the only guy at camp with a 1 shooter.

Posts: 991 | Location: UP of Michigan | Registered: October 21, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Smarter than the
average bear
posted Hide Post
What do y'all think of a "scout" scope for the No 1? I'm looking at this Leupold:

https://www.leupold.com/scopes...28mm-ier-scout-scope

It's a VX2, 1.5-4X, with 6-7 inches of eye relief. I'm thinking instead of having to use an offset mount and having the scope further over the action, this would let me move it up a tad. And it's super light and reasonably priced.

Caribou gorn
Picture of YellowJacket
posted Hide Post
I know some guys that have had to use the extended rear ring on their #1's, but I do not have an issue with a VXII 3-9x40 on my #1.

I'm gonna vote for the funniest frog with the loudest croak on the highest log.

Posts: 10486 | Location: Marietta, GA | Registered: February 10, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
"Member"
Picture of cas
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by P-220:
I find the No. 1 International to be one of the most beautiful rifles.

I have longed for an 80's (red pad), chambered for .243.

A quick phone pic last week... my 475 and 243

Posts: 21098 | Location: 18th & Fairfax  | Registered: May 17, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I wouldn't buy one with the thoughts it's going to be a highly accurate target rifle, but they're pretty guns and generally accurate enough for most hunting uses.

Posts: 937 | Location: WV | Registered: May 30, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Cogito Ergo Sum
posted Hide Post
I have the Sporter in 30-06. Bought used from a coworker after her husband passed. Did a lot of reading on how to make it shoot better. The o-ring on the fore end bolt and coming up with the right handload helped. Like others have said not the most accurate rifle out there but it does attract attention at the range.

Posts: 5694 | Registered: August 01, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Membership has its privileges
Picture of P-220
posted Hide Post
cas,

Thanks for posting. For me, that is just classically elegant.

Niech Zyje P-220

Steve

Posts: 36838 | Location: 45174 | Registered: December 09, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Smarter than the
average bear
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by cas:
quote:
Originally posted by P-220:
I find the No. 1 International to be one of the most beautiful rifles.

I have longed for an 80's (red pad), chambered for .243.

A quick phone pic last week... my 475 and 243

Beautiful guns. Thanks for the photos. I do love the international too. That is a big scope pushed way back. I am definitely going to try a scout scope for the eye relief. The Leupolds have about 6", which should be about right.

"Member"
Picture of cas
posted Hide Post
Hmm... that is a fairly small scope, and it's in all honesty, not pushed back far enough. Remember, that's a BB gun sized rifle.

Posts: 21098 | Location: 18th & Fairfax  | Registered: May 17, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Non-Miscreant
posted Hide Post
I clicked the Midway link yesterday. I have no reason why I was even reading this thread. So today I'm barraged with Midway ads! Its probably google or someone following their instincts. If I clicked a link with scope rings, I want a dozen of them on the other sites I visit.

Thank God Para doesn't have ads here.

Unhappy ammo seeker

Posts: 18387 | Location: Kentucky, USA | Registered: February 25, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Rule #1: Use enough gun
Picture of Bigboreshooter
posted Hide Post
quote:
Now to decide on a scope. I'm thinking minimalist, like maybe a fixed 4 power.

With factory rings, most scopes sit a bit forward on the rifle. A scope with plenty of eye relief works well on the No. 1's. Leupold really shines in this regard. I have found that Burris scopes work well too.

I've owned several over the years. All were capable of 1"-1.5" groups out of the box.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Bigboreshooter,

When a strong man, fully armed, guards his own house, his possessions are undisturbed. Luke 11:21

"Every nation in every region now has a decision to make.
Either you are with us, or you are with the terrorists." -- George W. Bush

Posts: 14826 | Location: Birmingham, Alabama | Registered: February 25, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Smarter than the
average bear
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by cas:
Hmm... that is a fairly small scope, and it's in all honesty, not pushed back far enough. Remember, that's a BB gun sized rifle.

On second look I can see that the scope is not that big, but what really got my attention is that it's pushed all the way back so that the back ring is bumping the turrets.

I see a lot of references to Leupolds having good eye relief, and most of them have up to 4" of eye relief, but a little less on the high end of a variable power scope. I also see a lot of offset rings being used to place the scope a little further back.

But, Leupold has three different "scout scopes" that have about 6" of eye relief. That seems pretty good for the No. 1. Interestingly enough, the only criticism of the Leupold "scout scopes" that I've seen is that the eye relief is not enough to be used in a very forward mounting position on a rife designed as a scout rifle. Other brand have "scout scopes" with eye relief well over a foot. Some seem to blur the line between "scout scope" and pistol scope.

Anyway, the Leupolds look about right with 6", hopefully allowing a mount more centered on the rings, with less overhang over the action.